4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2008 5:56 AM by knew-bee

Director 11 Panels Question

ytlevine Level 1
      I, as a user coming from Director MX 2004, am used to having the score and cast panels docked together.
      I have downloaded the new version and I am not able to do that. Has that been removed?
      And any reccomendations on how to use the panels?
      Side question - I am looking into taking courses on Director, or getting books.
      Which books are reccomended?
      Also, around how much money does a Director proogrammer/designer (you get the idea) make?
      Thanks!!
        • 1. Re: Director 11 Panels Question
          diruser
          quote:

Originally posted by: ytlevine
          I, as a user coming from Director MX 2004, am used to having the score and cast panels docked together.
          I have downloaded the new version and I am not able to do that. Has that been removed?
          And any reccomendations on how to use the panels?

Yes, the cast and score window are not dockable together anymore. Score and stage are docked together. You can make the cast as a tool window or a document window by selecting the option Float/unfloat the window.

• 2. Re: Director 11 Panels Question
            Level 7

> Yes, the cast and score window are not dockable together anymore. Score
            > and
            > stage are docked together. You can make the cast as a tool window or a
            > document
            > window by selecting the option Float/unfloat the window.
            >

And, this is my least favorite new "feature" in the new Director. I always
            worked with the cast docked below the score - this seemed natural and
            efficient. Wonder what the logic was in excluding this? Yes, I can still
            position the windows as before, but I then waste duplicated title bar space.

• 3. Re: Director 11 Panels Question
              dan_hin Level 1
              this issue has angered me too. there's absolutely no way i'm going to buy this upgrade until issues like this - and the lack of AS3 support!! - have been resolved.

Books for director mx 2004:

Lingo in a nutshell (essential, although based on v6, still relevant now)
              director mx2004 bible (or the visual quickstart book, they're both very similar)
              HIGHLY recommended is the Lynda.com video tutorials.

lastly - the amount of money you can make varies ridiculously. what would you expect to develop? think about the end product!

Don't put all your eggs in one basket - i would suggest learning flash, html and css too.
              • 4. Re: Director 11 Panels Question
                knew-bee Level 1
                To answer your money question: There's not a lot of call for Director developers these days. Search for Director jobs on monster, then compare that with a search for Flash jobs. It's not pretty.
                If you're looking to work for someone as a straight Director developer you're going to have a tough time of it.
                Then again, there is money to be made if you're willing to starve for a while. Director makes for a great casual game IDE.
                A friend of mine developed a 2D game with Director that made him over a million dollars within the first 3 months. He has since made 3 sequels, each one selling better than the last.