1 2 Previous Next 50 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2013 7:00 PM by Mossman007

CS6 Icon View Sort Order

ExactImage Level 3

Is there a way to change the sort order in Icon view?   I want it to adheire to what ever sort order I had in column view, so that i can see clips from multiple cameras in timecode order next to each other, but instead I seem to get all the clips from one camera, then the next camera and so on.  

It's making it almost useless for skimming through clips in chronological order from multiple cameras.

What am I missing?

Is this yet 'another' feature request I'm going to have to make?

• 1. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
          Jim_Simon Level 8

There's no automatic sort for Icon view.  The point here is to manually arrange the clips in a sort of a storyboard fashion.

• 2. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
            ExactImage Level 3

Great.  Now I have to do extra work searching for clips that would already be next to each other, and drag them around manually.

I already have a story board - it's called real time at a wedding    Now please Adobe can you arrange these in to time code order and it will save me dragging 500 clips around manually.   It's not that hard is it?

• 3. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
              Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Put your request into a feature request.

FEATURE request

• 4. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                ExactImage Level 3

Done hours ago

• 5. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                  Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Thanks for the FR!

• 6. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Adobe can you arrange these in to time code order

Go back to List mode for that.

• 7. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                      ExactImage Level 3

Jim, I think you completely miss the point.   I want to skim through the angles from all the cameras for the same scene.   I don't want to skim through camera 1, then have to search through 500 other clips to find camera 2 so I can skim through that, then go hunt for camera 3.  

I may as well use list mode and double click to load in to the source monitor - which is how we've always done it.  If that were the best way then we wouldn't need skimming.  

So, all I'm asking for is that all the clips recorded at the same time for the same scene be next to each other in the icon view so I can skim them together and find the angle I like the most.   Is that so wrong?

• 8. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        I may as well use list mode and double click to load in to the source monitor

Exactly.

Is that so wrong?

To ask?  No.  But, until you can...smiley up.png

(Personally, I think the better request might be to allow Hover Scrub in List mode.)

• 9. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                          ExactImage Level 3

Jim Simon wrote:

(Personally, I think the better request might be to allow Hover Scrub in List mode.)

So you would have giant icons in list mode?

• 10. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

Why not?  You can always resize them to suit your needs.

• 11. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                              ExactImage Level 3

That would suite me fine too.... maybe you can submit that as a request   ........ along with can't we just ..... oh, I could go on and on and on making life easier, but I'm not sure Adobe wants to hear 'all' of them

• 12. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                                SimonHy Level 2

I've submitted a request for this too. Icon View is handy, but I can't see myself ever arranging clips into a storyboard with it. I'd much prefer it if you could automatically arrange it by the same sort options available to List View.

• 13. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                                  LetsEditThis Level 1

I'm glad to see so many other people came up with this problem as well. There is deffinatly no controlling the sort order at this point in icon view. If anything it seems to be dictated by import order.

• 14. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                                    ExactImage Level 3

PLEASE send it in as a feature request so that we get enough votes to get it done....

• 15. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                                      LetsEditThis Level 1

Report submitted.

• 16. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order

How would you set up the interface for sort order? Select clips, and then right click to choose the sort category? Just wondering how you pictured it would be. I recall that FCP did it this way, but one could only sort by name or duration. The context menu could get quite unruly if all sort categories were available on a context menu.

How would you do it?

• 17. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                                          SimonHy Level 2

I don't think I'd have it set up to select clips, I just can't think of a situation where I'd want some items in a bin organised but others not. Right click on background of bin  with a contextual menu. Mosty I'd want to sort by name, timecode, online/offline, and possibly codec (for splitting up proxies versions from camera originals). People could always copy their bin before sorting it, so they could have one organised as a storyboard and another organised in... well... a good way, is how I'd put it!

What if the items on the contextual menu were definied by the list headings a user had set up in List View? That way if someone had some strange criteria they needed to sort by they could add it, but would also be able to keep the length of the menu in check if needed? Customisable yet contained.

And definitely the ability to add keyboard shortcuts for the various sort functions. More keyboard shortcuts in general please! Track patching would be great. And there's a lot of functions that need the particular panel they relate to to be highlighted before the keyboard shortcut works.... I would LOVE if this went away. If I hit the key for Toggle All Target Video On, I pretty much want it to just turn on the target video, and I'd really love it to do it without having to click on the sequence first. Lots of examples of this sort of thing, basically anything that's a "panel" function. Some of it is just kooky, for example I have "Source Clip: Previous" mapped as a shortcut key. When I hit this key, of course it relates to the Source monitor! Having to bring up the source monitor AND THEN hit the keyboard shortcut is just unnecessarily cumbersome, and often ends up in a situation where it's not just an extra keystroke, it's several extra keystrokes because you end up having to bring up a panel to do a function, and then bring up the previous panel to be able to continue what you were doing. Lots of extra keystrokes that I think could easily be made more efficient. I've submitted a request for this as well, I called it Keyboard Shortcuts Should Always Work. (Sorry, kind of wandered off topic there).

• 18. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                                            ExactImage Level 3

Nothing to fancy is needed really.  A simple combo list box at the top (called "Sort by") that had the sort order would work well enough. 

Sort by;

Name

Reel

Length

Timecode / Shotdate

PLEASE, if there is no time code (00:00:00:00) could we use shot time/date on AVCHD as a substitue so they work TOGETHER ? (not sort on one or the other, but to use them as synonyms - this could even be a user preference I suppose).

I am sure others would like more variations, but those would do well enough for me and could save quite a bit of time searching for clips.  Don't forget to add a little badge or border once a clips has been used

• 19. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order

Love your ideas guys. Hope you have submitted requests.

Jim, I agree that you shouldn't have to select a panel before applying a keyboard shortcut. Not smooth behavior, I hope you have submitted that one. Regarding track patching, we know it's a major request.

• 20. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                                                mypetfroguk Level 1

Feature request submitted.

This is a no brainer for me, working with HUNDREDS of clips from an event and want to go through clips in chronological order of the clips as they were shot.

At the moment I'm not even using icon view as clips are placed all over the place  

Great feature, just needs ability to sort by filename!

thanks

Steve

• 21. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                                                  ExactImage Level 3

We're currently opening a thumbnail view for each angle so that we can at least skim in rough time order going from window to window, but even then some clips appear wildly out of order - so much so you wonder what the algorythm for display is. 

• 22. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                                                    conleec Level 1

Simply give us an option to display in the same order as List view. That's how Avid does it, while still allowing you to drag the clips into custom order if you want it. Actually, Avid goes one further and allows you to move you Icons to wherever you want, even leaving space between them, etc.

In the feature world we use this quite often to sort our dailies takes. Scene 1 takes on one line, Scene 1a takes on another, Scene 1b on another, etc. Extremely useful, but I realize that would take a complete redo of the Icon view. The ability to match the list view would be a start.

Avid_Bin.png

Chris Conlee

• 23. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                                                      Arthur Velly Level 1

Submited also here.how they don't insert this option?

• 24. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                                                        Arthur Velly Level 1

My work around was import all the clips from the media browser in the proj panel.Now they are in order in icon view. hope that`s help

• 25. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                                                          ExactImage Level 3

Arthur Velly wrote:

My work around was import all the clips from the media browser in the proj panel.Now they are in order in icon view. hope that`s help

Now they are in 'what' order?  And what if you wanted a different order?

All our clips came in via the media browser too, but that didn't put them in the order we want.

• 26. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                                                            Jim_Simon Level 8

that didn't put them in the order we want.

So move them.  That's the whole point of Icon mode.

• 27. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                                                              Arthur Velly Level 1

I use to import a folder via file > import.

My clips where : clip_1, clip_2....

In icon view the clips where not in  cronological order when importing the bin.

When importing the clips from the media browser (draged from MB to p.panel,in cronological order) they appear to me in the way I want.This may not be the order i want.

Forgive my english.

• 28. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                                                                ExactImage Level 3

Jim Simon wrote:

that didn't put them in the order we want.

So move them.  That's the whole point of Icon mode.

The whole point of icon mode is so that you can see the thumbnail view of a clip and skim it.  Once I've found the clip I'm looking for I don't need to move it, it's there ready to use.  What I want is an easier way to 'find' the clip in the first place.

Icon mode is not restricted to storyboarding a couple of dozen clips.  Skimming is usuful for finding all sorts of things from potential hundreds of clips.  If we had beta metadata sorting (e.g. like FCP X) that would be awesome, and reduce the number of clips we have to trawl through, but that's not always the case.

So, you'd like me to visually find a clip, say clip 237 and move it next to clip 1, which was the other camera rolling at the same point in time (looking for multi angles) ?    That's crazy!  I wouldn't know it was clip 237 until I found it...and once I found it I don't need to move it!

When Icons were static thumbnails we never used Icon mode, other than to aid keywording.  Now that it has the skimming it's a completely different ball game.

• 29. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                                                                  Arthur Velly Level 1

at least for me they are in cronoligical order now

• 30. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                                                                    ExactImage Level 3

chronicalogical

• 'per card'

or

• 'per camera'

or

* 'all cards & all cameras sorted in timecode order' ?

• 31. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                                                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

The whole point of icon mode is so that you can see the thumbnail view of a clip and skim it.

No, you can do that in List mode as well with the Preview Area turned on.  The 'point' of Icon mode has always been manual sorting.

(Though I will admit, Hover Scrubbing in List mode would be a welcome addition.)

• 32. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                                                                        akribie Level 2

Having just come across this 'feature' in my new CS6, my vote goes with those who want to sort the order automatically in icon view acording to criteria like filename, date/time from metadata etc. The hover-scrub feature with variable-sized previews is a very quick way to select clips from a set of similar views, for example. Much better than using the list view tiny replay window.

I tag my AVCHD filenames with date/time from EXIF to make life easier, but PPro CS6 jumbles the order in icon view which is less than helpful.  The ability to tag clips with eg star ratings in icon view (like Bridge) would also be very helpful when weeding out useful material from a mass of clips.

• 33. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                                                                          akribie Level 2

Having now used it a bit longer and thought a bit more, I think that a better answer might be to have MiniBridge available inside PPro and include the scrub-preview facility from PPro in Bridge.

• 34. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                                                                            Red Planet Pictures Level 1

Add me to the list of people who desperately need this feature in order for hover scrubbing to be useful. Request submitted.

• 35. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                                                                              DMH79 Level 2

I agree 100% that sorting options like name and date/time created NEED to be available in ICON VIEW. So annoying its not possible. Request Submitted.

• 36. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                                                                                ExactImage Level 3

Adding your names here won't help.   Please fill in the request form.

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 37. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                                                                                  Red Planet Pictures Level 1

We did already, said "request submitted" at the bottom of our posts. And I disagree, I think if someone searches this issue and sees indication that more and more people are submitting it, it encourages them to submit themselves. I think the whole "one vote doesn't make a difference" mentality often keeps people from submitting things.

• 38. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                                                                                    DMH79 Level 2

Agreed. I did submit because:

1) It was easy as someone posted the link above.

2) I saw others submitting so I figured I'd join "the crowd"

I've been using FCP for years so I don't really know how good Adobe is at implementing requests or how fast for something like this but I'm hoping it's sooner than later.

• 39. Re: CS6 Icon View Sort Order
                                                                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Don't count on sooner.  They just released CS6 and I'm sure are devoting most of their time to bug fixes rather then new features.  (At least, I hope so.)

1 2 Previous Next