6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2012 3:32 PM by Andrew Yoole

Add in bars/tone/slate/black?

tncamp66

Hello!

I am a print designer that now also has to do commercials. I'm learning to use After Effects via the Lynda site and the help files, but I have to produce finished commercials while learning - I skip around a lot in the lessons. I am stumped with one particular issue I hope you can help me with.

I usually have a :15 & a :30 that have to be HD1080i, .mov files at 16:9 (4:3 safe). These have been coming along nicely!

Now I have ONE station that has to have their :15 as 720 X 480, 16:9 (4:3) WITH :10 of bars and tone, :5 - :10 of slate, and at least :2 of black between slate and spot. (I have these elements ready to be inserted.)

I have been building the HD1080i's first, then thought I could adjust settings and save a new comp and insert the needed stuff at the beginning of the spot and everything would move over.

This is not happening and to make deadline I've had to just send the :15 with the settings changed in the comp without the other stuff they need, so now they are charging extra to insert the additional frames.

Is there a tutorial on how to add the frames I need at the beginning of the spot or do I have to build it from scratch?

Thanks!

Tina Campbell

• 1. Re: Add in bars/tone/slate/black?
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

The big question: how do you deliver these spots? 

On tape?  FTP?  Something else? If you deliver files, what media container (e.g. quicktime movie) & codec (e.g. ProRes 422)?

• 2. Re: Add in bars/tone/slate/black?
            tncamp66 Level 1

The spots are all delivered elecronically, either through our FTP, or the station FTP. They are Quicktime movie, H.264.

Thanks!

Tina

• 3. Re: Add in bars/tone/slate/black?
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

This is a chore best handled by an editing application, but in a pinch you can do it in AE.  I wouldn't: how do you know the color bar clip you're using is accurate? 

If that's not a big concern, make a comp from the DV Sidescreen comp preset, add the proper lengths of bars, tone & black, nest the HD comp inside, scale it to fit the comp and render away.

I'd do a test delivery of the SD Widescreen file.  Do they see it properly or is it squeezed horizontally?  if it's squeezed, make a square-pixel 720x853 comp, nest the DV Widescreen comp in it, scale to fit the comp and render.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Add in bars/tone/slate/black?
                tncamp66 Level 1

Thank you David!

Actually, I have no idea if the color bar is accurate :/. I've not had much luck getting a return call from the station so I'm following a vague, single page list of requirements for this one. I will be working on it and follow your suggestions.

Here goes nothin'!

Tina

• 5. Re: Add in bars/tone/slate/black?
                  bogiesan Level 4

tncamp66 wrote:

The spots are all delivered elecronically, either through our FTP, or the station FTP. They are Quicktime movie, H.264.

Thanks!

Tina

You mean you're delivering digitally. Except handing someone a reel of film, they're ALL electronic media.

There is a little used function in After Effects, Synthetic Aperture's Color Finesse. You will find all the usual waveform and vectorscopes and other tools.

• 6. Re: Add in bars/tone/slate/black?
                    Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

After Effects isn't a very good application for compressing H264.  You should render lossless files from After Effects, then encode your H264 in Adobe Media Encoder, Quicktime or Premiere Pro.

You can compile multiple elements into one comp using Nesting:  create a new comp at the desired output size, drag your bars and tone etc in, and then your master comp. 

HD content that gets resized to SD sometimes needs some softening applied to avoid flicker and jitter from very fine horizontal lines.  Ideally, preview it on an interlaced monitor before sending it to the station.