5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2012 2:49 PM by Dov Isaacs

issues with printing PDFs exported from ID6

OldNoob2012

We upgraded one of our Macs to InDesign 6 and started seeing issues with printing PDFs that were exported.

If we take a ID project that has a JPG file in it, save it, export it to a PDF, and then try to print it, we get the JPG image all pixilated.

This only happens on a black and white printer. Color printers seem to be fine.

As a test, I saved the ID project as a previous version and saw the same results.

If we send the PDF to another Mac running CS5, we get the same results printing. BUT if we open the saved project (the one from CS6 that was saved as a previous version) and export it to PDF, we do not get the pixilated image.

IMG_0011[1].JPG

• 1. Re: issues with printing PDFs exported from ID6
          Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

What do you see on the screen when you open the exported file in Acrobat? Can we assume that you are printing from Acrobat (and not Apple Preview)? What type (manufacturer, model, etc.) of black and white printer are you printing to? What are your PDF export settings - one of the presets or something custom? I assume you are using export PDF (print) option?!?

The fact that the PDF file prints without a problem to one of your printers and not the other would indicate the problem might not be in the PDF file (or the underlying InDesign document), but rather some interaction between the printing program (Acrobat?) and the particular printer model.

- Dov

• 2. Re: issues with printing PDFs exported from ID6
            OldNoob2012 Level 1

What do you see on the screen when you open the exported file in Acrobat?

PDF in Acrobat looks fine. No pixilated image.

We are printing from Acrobat.

What type (manufacturer, model, etc.) of black and white printer are you printing to?

Canon imageRUNNER 5050N

What are your PDF export settings? Standard setting. No changes from default.

I got the newest drivers from Canon and installed them. Still no joy.......

• 3. Re: issues with printing PDFs exported from ID6

By standard setting do you mean the Standard joboptions? If so, be aware that those are really not recommended for anything that will ever be printed. Please try either PDF/X-4 (preferred) or High Quality Print joboptions for PDF export.

Looked for the Canon imageRUNNER 5050N. Apparently it is one of the older models without Adobe PostScript. It uses an unreliable third party emulation of Adobe PostScript which may or may not be the problem.

The fact that the PDF file displays without a problem in Acrobat and prints without a problem to your color printer points to the black and white printer as the likely culprit. Try using the joboptions I recommended and see if the problem still exists.

- Dov

• 4. Re: issues with printing PDFs exported from ID6
                Daniel Flavin Level 4

Dov Isaacs wrote:

Looked for the Canon imageRUNNER 5050N. Apparently it is one of the older models without Adobe PostScript. It uses an unreliable third party emulation of Adobe PostScript which may or may not be the problem.

That's an interesting tidbit as my lease expires on my KM machine in 6 months and we ponder our next machine.

Dov, are you able to offer up whether many, most, few, or only older Canon imageRunners use such emulation or non-Adobe Postscript?

I expect it would be included as part of a machines spec sheet, but small print sometimes gets overlooked.

• 5. Re: issues with printing PDFs exported from ID6

I believe Adobe PostScript 3 started with the ImageRUNNER ADVANCE printers.

Anytime they talk about emulation of PostScript in the fine printer, it is what I can best describe as CloneScript. Our licensees usually specify Adobe PostScript 3 without the need for the word emulation.

- Dov