7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2012 5:02 PM by johnthesmith

Viewing images

community help Level 1

This question was posted in response to the following article: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001031ab64-74e0a.h tml

• 1. Re:  Viewing images
          RM0077

I would like to magnify a specific area. I can do this if no adjustment window is open. This page describes how to do it. Although it seems that a crucial thing is missing in the instruction, i.e. the scrubby zoom must be off for it to work. If there is a levels adjustment window open it does not work. I have seen this specific magnification work on a Tim Gray V2B tutorial on advanced compositing while the levels adjustment window is open. What preference or setting am I missing??

• 2. Re:  Viewing images
            Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

It shouldn't make any difference having a Levels adjustment layer selected.   Ctrl (Cmd) Space bar, and drag the mouse left and right while left clicking.   It will zoom in to wherever you initially positioned the mouse.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re:  Viewing images
              RM0077 Level 1

Dennis,

That did it. CMD + space makes the zoom tool work to magnify a specific

area while the levels dialogue is open.

Thanks very much.

Bob

• 4. Re:  Viewing images
                PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Yes, the instructions under "magnify specific area" to CMD+Spacebar, click and drag an area to be magnified are missing the fact that Scrubby zoom must be disabled, or you would get the behavior Trevor describes: left & right to zoom in-out.

• 5. Re:  Viewing images
                  johnthesmith

Is there a way to zoom the image to the size of the window? For example, I want to see the full image displayed as a 9x12 (real world inches) on my screen. I can make a window exactly that size on my Mac. I just need to know how to get the image to fit that pre-sized window. (Typing in different zoom numbers until I get exactly the right one, is just too tedious. Holding H and clicking the mouse usually over or under zooms.) Caveats: My mouse scroll wheel does not work, and I am still using CS4. Thank you!

• 6. Re:  Viewing images
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

Is 9 x 12 inches the size the image is set to print (e.g., in the Image Size dialog)?

If so, select the Zoom Tool then press the [Print Size] button up in the options area.

-Noel

• 7. Re:  Viewing images
                      johnthesmith Level 1

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, it did not work for me (but see below!). After setting my Document Size (in the Image Size dialog), to 12 wide by 9 high, and clicking the button, the image fills the window and resizes to just over 9-1/8 inch wide by about 6-7/8 high. With the rulers on, I can see the on-screen "inches" are only about 3/4 of a real world inch. Which got me thinking...

I went to Photoshop Preferences->Units & Rulers, and found the screen resolution to be the default 72 pixels/inch. It turns out my 24" iMac screen resolution is just over 94 ppi. Bingo! I changed the "New Document Preset Resolutions" to 94 pixels/inch, hit that button and, voila, perfect fit.

Thanks very much for pointing me in the right direction!