It crashed CS3 when your try to export to .inx? That's not a good sign.
Can you open it "as a copy" in CS5.5? How about in CS3, and will that export?
I opened it "as a copy" in CS3. When I try to export that to .inx, it
I am able to export other files to .inx in CS3.
So there's something wrong with the file, for sure. What's the OS? Do you get a crash report?
I'm on Mac OS 10.6.8. How much of the crash report do you want? It's
huge. Whatever is wrong with the file, it's been part of the file for
several years. I just tried to open a version labeled 2009 and it
crashed. I think I will keep working backwards to see if any or the
earliest versions of the file will open.
Post the whole report on Pastebin.com and put a link here. It's usually thread 0 that's crashed, but not always, so without looking it's not posible to tell you what part we need.
Well, the problem dates back to the end of summer 2008. It's a chapter of
our textbook, and the summer 2008 version opens, but the fall 2008
doesn't. Maybe it is a particular font that was added at that time?
Could be a bad font, or a bad graphic. Or it could be something else altogether. The crash report may help narrow it down.
Looks like it has something to do with indexing. That's not a lot of help, I suspect.
I have no idea what that means.
You mean you have no idea wahy indexing would be causing the crash (join the club) or you didn't understand what I meant by it looks like it has something to do with indexing (that's the last module called before it crashed).
the latter. What does "indexing" mean?
An index, as in the back of the book, lisitng where various topics are mentioned.
I see this in the crash report, but I don't know where to begin to solve
the problem. Is something in my file not able to be read and so the
indexing process gets stalled? I guess I don't know what kind of index the
software is trying to make.
1 com.adobe.InDesign.Indexing 0x20aa5a9b GetPlugIn + 20123
2 com.adobe.InDesign.Indexing 0x20b13f8a GetPlugIn + 471946
3 com.adobe.InDesign.Indexing 0x20b59603 GetPlugIn + 756227
4 com.adobe.InDesign.Indexing 0x20b5684f GetPlugIn + 744527
5 com.adobe.InDesign.Indexing 0x20b56a87 GetPlugIn + 745095
I probably will try to start with the summer 2008 version that opens and
try to re-create all the changes to the chapter that have occurred since
then, but save and test often to see if I can find the font or image that
causes the crash. That is, unless you have a magic fix for the "indexing"
I don't think this is a font or image problem. One way to test would be to move it to a new machine with no access to the links, and presumably either missing fonts or versions not damged. If its a font or links problem it will open. If it doesn't it's something else.
Unfortunately I have no idea how to deal with a problem in the indexing befor the file is actually open, and not much of an idea after. The software isn't trying to make an index, it's trying to work with one that exists, either in this file or some other file in the Book, but this file has index markers for it.