10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2012 5:34 PM by Kyle D. Fisher

After Effects Layers

Kyle D. Fisher

Ok so I am new to After Effects and I am sure this is so simple but I cant figure it out. I am trying out this fake kick back effect with my brother. I have a shot where i kick a light stand. Then a shot of my brother getting flung back. Then a clean plate of neither of us or the light stand. I put them on top of each other in after effects, but i think only one is showing up at a time. I am trying to adjust the opacity of one so I can line up my brother, my foot, and the light stand, but the opacity wont even adjust because it is only showing one of the layers.

• 1. Re: After Effects Layers
          bogiesan Level 4

You need to learn how the application actually functions before you start trying to build things. Adjusting the opacity is a basic function. If it's not working the way you think it should, you're doing something incorrectly but without looking over your shoulder we're only guessing. And, frankly, you don't have the vocabulary for us to start trying to tell you what to try.

Step back, open the help system, look at the sections on layers and opacity. It will only take you a few hours, then you can get to work anad have some serious fun.

• 2. Re: After Effects Layers
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What bogiesan said - learn the basics. You are not introducing transparency anywhere in your setup, hence there can be no such thing as layering items. Read up on masking, keying, Rotobrush and so on.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: After Effects Layers
              Kyle D. Fisher Level 1

Ok I did find a basics video, so I will watch that, but let me rephrase once more to see if I can explain a little better. So I have 3 clips. Each is stacked on top of the other in my timeline. Now I accidently double clicked on one of the clips I was masking. So when I masked it, the park I masked out showed up black, but there should be the other clip behind it. For some reason when I double clicked the clip on the timeline, it put it in my viewer by itself with no clips behind it. Does that make more sense? If not ill get the basics down.

• 4. Re: After Effects Layers
                Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Double-clicking a layer brings you from Composition panel to Layer panel.

Just click 'Composition panel' tab to switch back.

Start here to learn After Effects basics so as not to get frustrated with the application.

• 5. Re: After Effects Layers
                  bogiesan Level 4

kfishcc3 wrote:

Ok I did find a basics video, so I will watch that, but let me rephrase once more to see if I can explain a little better. So I have 3 clips. Each is stacked on top of the other in my timeline. Now I accidently double clicked on one of the clips I was masking. So when I masked it, the park I masked out showed up black, but there should be the other clip behind it. For some reason when I double clicked the clip on the timeline, it put it in my viewer by itself with no clips behind it. Does that make more sense? If not ill get the basics down.

A basics video will only get you started on your path toward total confusion. You've got to invest many hours in actually working with AE's interface and studying the theory behind the rendering pipeline and why AE presents layer windows and timeline windows to accomplish what you now think are duplicative functions.

AE is a big, deep, monstrous application. You canot even imagine how complex AE is. Yet, once you've got the fundamental skills and pipelines memorized, the rest is more or less linear application of and extrapolation of these basics.

• 6. Re: After Effects Layers
                    Kyle D. Fisher Level 1

Thanks for all your help. I've been studying up on after effects and its helping a lot. But I do have another question. We made a short skit and I use premiere pro to edit. For color correction and effects I do the dynamic link with AE. But for some reason, after I do my color correction, I go back to premiere and it works but the motion in the video is so blurry, almost as if my shutter speed of my camera was too low. But the raw footage is fine. And its fine when I put the raw footage into premiere. Its after I do my dynamic link and color correction with AE, then there's a a blur when my actor punches and moves a lot. And yes even after I render the effects it is still the same.

• 7. Re: After Effects Layers
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

We're going to need a lot more information for diagnostic purposes.  Unfortunately, you're so green you wouldn't know what to provide.  So go here for a good list.

And keep this in mind: AE isn't like any other application you're likely to use.  Without a solid grounding in the basics, you can't expect to try something and have it turn out as expected on your first try.  Depending on your ambition and available time, getting a good handle can take several weeks or a few years.

• 8. Re: After Effects Layers
                        Kyle D. Fisher Level 1

I understand that my vocabulary is not up to par for this forum and I know that this program is complex, I am just looking for a quick answer, so let me try one more time just to see if anyone recognizes it. Here is the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUgQR3y6Q-c  Keep in mind, the raw footage does not have the motion blur when my actor punches. It is when I have it in the premiere pro timeline and I do the dynamic link with AE. The only thing I did in AE to the footage is add the curves effect and adjust the RGB. After i did that I closed out of AE, saved the project, and went back to the Premiere Pro timeline. Everything worked fine, it's just my footage now has a blur when there is a fast motion. If this explaination doesn't help that is fine, I just didn't know if I could get a quick answer. Thank you guys for all your help I am sorry for all the questions.

• 9. Re: After Effects Layers
                          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Blur when there's fast motion is normal. It's hard to say viewing the footage on a small screen, but you may have an interlacing issue too. Still don't have the details of your project. Footage type, frame rate, compression, comp size, file interpretation.

• 10. Re: After Effects Layers
                            Kyle D. Fisher Level 1

My project sequence settings for Premiere Pro are set to the DSLR 1080p24 present. I filmed it with a Canon T3i at 24fps. I am editing on a 15in macbook pro. I dont believe there is any compression because I am talking about how it looks before I export it.