11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2012 10:34 AM by the_wine_snob

Video becomes smaller after exporting

Jollestudio Level 1

I use the Adobe Premiere Elements 9 that came with my laptop and I'm editing files from my Flip Mino HD camera, and it all works fine except after I've exported the files and play the video the whole picture is much smaller, with huge black borders on the sides. I've tried changing some settings but I just don't know where to look or what to change, I'm very new to this. Is there anything I can do to get rid of this whole black background? It's not just some small borders on the top and on the bottom but large ones on all four sides that really do bother me a lot.

• 1. Re: Video becomes smaller after exporting
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Let's start at the beginning. At New Project, exactly which Preset did you choose?

There is one specifically for Flip cameras, but I am not sure if it was in PrE 9, or was introduced in PrE 10. Someone will either verify, or correct me. This step is very, very important.

Then, when you go to Share/Export, your settings there will be important too, but will be chosen by the delivery scheme that you require, say DVD-Video, YouTube, etc.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Video becomes smaller after exporting
            Jollestudio Level 1

At New Project I tried a few different ones but "NTSC-FLIP-Flip Mino HD and Ultra HD 30p" is where it is in the first place. There are four different ones though:

"Flip Mino and Ultra 29_97p"

"Flip Mino and Ultra 30p"

"Flip Mino HD and Ultra HD 29_97p"

"Flip Mino HD and Ultra HD 30p"

The last one being the one marked in the first place.

At Share/Export I click Computer (well I assume that's what it says, it's in my own language). I'm just saving it to my desktop.

Then after clicking "computer" the settings are (but again as it's in a different language I'm not entirely sure how to translate what it says before):

FLV / F4V

640 X 480

MPEG Layer III (MP3), 128 kbit/s, Stereo

Something I missed?

• 3. Re: Video becomes smaller after exporting
              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, if you have HD material, in an HD Project, then Exporting/Sharing to 640x 480 WILL yield a tiny Frame Size. From HD, that is about 1/4 of the resolution, of your original footage.

Exactly how do you plan on delivering the footage? That should be your guide, when choosing the settings for Export/Share.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Video becomes smaller after exporting
                Jollestudio Level 1

The video will go on Youtube, so I'm guessing the frame size will be small there too? That's the main problem, I want it to fill the whole screen on there.

• 5. Re: Video becomes smaller after exporting
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For output to YouTube, I would start with the settings in this FAQ Entry.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Video becomes smaller after exporting
                    Jollestudio Level 1

Well I started doing what was listed but after installing QuickTime it still says, after clicking Computer then QuickTime, that it is not installed. Says it can't find it. I'm on a PC if that matters.

• 7. Re: Video becomes smaller after exporting
                      Jollestudio Level 1

Very anxious to get this thing solved, would appreciate some further help with it.

• 8. Re: Video becomes smaller after exporting
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry, but I have never had any of my Premiere programs, be unable to find my installation of Apple's QT Player. Now, I am usually a few versions back, as I always want to be sure that I have a "last known good" version, and with QT Player, it's common to have some versions, that just do not play well with Adobe products on a PC. I stayed with 7.3.5 for years, then finally tested and moved to 7.5.5. I kept that installed, until about 7.6.7, which tested OK. I never let iTunes, or any other program, upgrade my QT Player, and have the Update turned OFF, so that only I can make that transition, when I am ready.

Wish that I had something to offer, and maybe others have encountered what you are, and have a fix.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Video becomes smaller after exporting
                          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You do not mention your OS, but there are sometimes ODD permissions problems with Win7

To install Quicktime, and even to run PreEl, right click the icon or EXE and select Run as Administrator from the popup option list

These notes are for other Adobe products, but the IDEA is the same

As well as the below, right click the Encore icon and select Run as Administrator, which is NOT the same thing as running the computer with the Administrator account, and which fixes several "odd" problems... To create a two layer DVD (or a BluRay?), you MUST have Encore set to use the Run as Administrator option

Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395

-and Vista http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1021721

Odd Errors http://forums.adobe.com/thread/670174

• 10. Re: Video becomes smaller after exporting
                            Jollestudio Level 1

"Run as Administrator" for QT or Premiere Elements? Tried for both... Didn't work. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, maybe it's unclear exactly how little I know about computers, lol, I just don't really understand what to do. Sorry to be a pain in the ***.

Bill you mentioned "if you have HD material, in an HD Project, then Exporting/Sharing to 640x 480 WILL yield a tiny Frame Size", well, would it be possible somehow not to save it in HD then, to get the full frame size?

• 11. Re: Video becomes smaller after exporting
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

If I understand what you want, and what is happening, if you have and HD Project, and have HD material, if you wish to Export/Share, and then use that output file to edit in another Project, you should choose an output format, that will match the new Project. Say you have an AVCHD Project, with AVCHD material, but wish to output from that Project to DV (down-rezzing the HD material to SD), you would choose an SD Export/Share Preset, and let PrE do the down-rezzing for the output file. Then, when you Import that output file into the new SD Project, the Frame Size should match up. Note: with SD Projects/files, one has to consider PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio). Most HD formats use square pixels (PAR = 1.0), then there is Anamorphic, which will be PAR - 1.333.

If I did not understand either the problem, or what you wish to do, I apologize.

Good luck,

Hunt