9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2012 8:21 AM by nw42

all >4GB audio exports to MOV corrupt

nw42 Level 2

Hi

I don't know how do export my audio from Premiere...

Task:

I have to export a 1h 35min 5.1 24bit audio mix from Premiere. The resulting audio file will be larger 4GB.

Steps:

1. In Premiere I have a 5.1 master sequence and choose: "Export->Media"

2. In Export-> Media I select:

"Format: Quicktime"

"Export audio only"

"Audio Codec: uncompressed"

"Sample Rate: 48000 Hz"

"Channels: 5.1"

"Sample Rate: 24bit"

Result:

Every audio export larger 4GB from Premiere to MOV results in corrupted files.

If I open it in Audition or back into Premiere I see random audio spikes in the output.

-> To check this export a empty audio file and check the waveform for peaks.

Here is a 150KB PNG screenshot to illustrate the effect (Same peaks if I save a mov from Audition):

https://www.hidrive.strato.com/lnk/poAkPIPm

What I've also tried:

1. Export to Wave -> Error Message: "Error compiling Movie. Unknown Error."

2. Export to OMF -> The resulting Audition project has no 5.1 mixing assigned. No export possible.

3. Edit Sequence in Adobe Audition -> Takes long time to render. Resulting project has no 5.1 mixing assigned. No export possible.

4. Export singele channels to mono WAV - Set channel by channel to solo in mixer. -> Audio gain doesn't match the normal export levels.

My config:

Win7 X64 SP1, CS6 Premiere v.6.0.1 (014 (MC: 264587), Quicktime v.7.7.1 (1680.56), Corei7 12GB Ram

Any hints how to finish the job?? I don't know what I can do... :-(

nw42

• 1. Re: all >4GB audio exports to MOV corrupt
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Instead of QuiRktime, try exporting audio only from the MPEG2 BR preset and export only audio in AC3 5.1 format with a 448 kb/s bitrate, like this:

6-6-2012 10-40-08.png

• 2. Re: all >4GB audio exports to MOV corrupt
            nw42 Level 2

Hi Harm,

thanks for the sugestion - but my client is strictly asking for uncompressed 48KHz 24bit PCM sound for a Digital Cinema Package release - so a compressed AC3 isn't an option...

I can't belive that's such hard to do some simple import/export tasks with pure PCM audio...

Question: Is there a way to export 5.1 channel by channel from Premiere? I can't export a clip because I need the whole timeline with all clips in a channel.

I've setup a manual 5.1 setup from mono tracks in Premiere - so I could switch them to solo and export them one after another.

But if I do so and set Export WAV to mono the gain of the exported clip doesn't match the channels volume :-(

nw42

• 3. Re: all >4GB audio exports to MOV corrupt
              Richard M Knight Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have just tried to export a large 5.1 file to a Waveform file and I get the same error as you. I then tried to export to an audio only AVI and it compiled in about 3 min. My file was 2hr 45 min  5.1, 48k, 24 bit and the resulting audio only avi was 7.74 GB. This would be a way to do it if your clients can handle an AVI.

Richard Knight

• 4. Re: all >4GB audio exports to MOV corrupt
                nw42 Level 2

Hi Richard,

you are sooo right - how could I overlook the AVI option?? It seems to work. You made my day!

(can import it into Audition end export discrete WAV channels for the DCP)

edit: after importing a AVI into Audition it says: "Source Format: Quicktime 24bit Ganzzahl (Little Endian)"

Seems that Audition is using AVI through Quicktime component - first test showed up no errors... but I don't trust it - will double check all exports...

1. Do we have the situation that all MOV's exported from Premiere with large audio could be possibly corrupted by random audio peaks?

It seems to be because I got corrupted audio from a default timeline export... That would be a HUGE problem!

Any comments about that from the user base?

nw42

Message was edited by: nw42

• 5. Re: all >4GB audio exports to MOV corrupt
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

I guess the problem is with the QuiRcktime exporter, which is 32 bit and then can limit audio files to 4 GB.

• 6. Re: all >4GB audio exports to MOV corrupt
                    nw42 Level 2

Hi Ham,

as long as Quicktime can contain 5.1 PCM audio and store several hours of footage this is nothing new and has to work since many years around the world... they are using A/V interleaved data chunks I think...

The question is: Why is this broken in Premiere CS6?

And for the second time: I found the problem with large audio only MOV exports - but as I tested a regular Quicktime MOV export with audio & video the corrupt audio peaks where still there...

Now I'm asking me can you trust a Premiere MOV export at all or are they maybe corrupted by small random audio peaks that are hard to find on a regular waveform view but are realy dangerous because they are hard dirac signals and tend to damage sound speakers and of course the exported audio at all...

nw42

• 7. Re: all >4GB audio exports to MOV corrupt
                      Charles VW Adobe Employee

(can import it into Audition end export discrete WAV channels for the DCP)

Yes, you could split each of your audio 5.1 into 6 mono tracks.  Then you could edit your sequence in Audition, and then export a 5.1 flattened file from Audition in several formats that support over 4 GB (e.g. RF64, Wave64, or CAF).

edit: after importing a AVI into Audition it says: "Source Format: Quicktime 24bit Ganzzahl (Little Endian)"

Seems that Audition is using AVI through Quicktime component - first test showed up no errors... but I don't trust it - will double check all exports...

Depending on the Codec, Audition will import AVI files via QuickTime.  If you're on Windows, you can enable the Dynamic Link Media Server (in the Media Preferences of Audition) which might allow it to come through a different Importer.  I tested the QuickTime import in Audition in the CS5.5 and CS6 cycles, so if you come up with problems, let me know.

1. Do we have the situation that all MOV's exported from Premiere with large audio could be possibly corrupted by random audio peaks?

It seems to be because I got corrupted audio from a default timeline export... That would be a HUGE problem!

I'll look into that, but you should file a formal bug report for that.  The least we could do is to show a warning if the estimated file size is beyond the support of your current settings.

• 8. Re: all >4GB audio exports to MOV corrupt
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

The problem is more Apple than Adobe I think. They have really earned the name QuiRcktime. If you can use a different export codec, chances are you will not have any problems. However, I think you need to use Audition for that export, because I have yet to find a way in PR to export 5.1 sound in anything but AC3.

• 9. Re: all >4GB audio exports to MOV corrupt
                          nw42 Level 2

Hi Charles VW,

thanks for checking this... seems not to be machine specific and we also have such problems in Audition... it's always saving large audio mixes to PCM MOV.

Charles VW wrote:

Yes, you could split each of your audio 5.1 into 6 mono tracks.  Then you could edit your sequence in Audition...

My workflow is this:

1. Mastering features in Premiere to different format & language options (mostly 10Bit DPX 2K)

2. Than I get a finished 5.1 theatrical mix from the audio post and only have to ensure that it matches the timeline, coupling 35mm reel mixes to DCP reels and so on. If anything is in sync. I only need to export a unchanged only trimmed new 5.1 mix.

So it would be great to have RF64 Broadcast Wave export directly from Premeiere.

3. In the past I exported the 5.1 audio mix to a audio only PCM MOV and then imported it into Audition to check the levels and extract mono channels. (On reel based DCP's we switched to 5.1 multichannel WAV's - but for linear DCP's and old MPEG-Interops we still need discrete channels)

Now I've switched to AVI insted (Send to Audition doesn't work for me because it takes a long time to render and then I don't get a 5.1 Multitrack Session but only my source files in a default stereo one.) but if this exported audio peaks apply to all exported MOV's I'm concerned about all the feature lenght DNXHD MOV's we use to transfer material between facilities...

We need Quicktime Prores & DNXHD formats in this case.

Just want to be sure that no one creates corrupted MOV's just by exporting a 5.1 24Bit PCM audio mix...

Currently it seems that writing audio larger 4GB from Premiere & Audition results in this audio peaks - they appear on a regular position for a given export setup - if I switch from 24 to 32 bit they appear at a new position...

best Regards

nw42