A really annoying behavior of Flash CS5.5 and before is the last location you export a SWF to is the location a new document may try to publish to. Or if that path cannot be found it may reset to exporting the SWF to the same folder the FLA is in. REALLY annoying that each FLA does not remember publish paths properly.
I get this error when I do not go into publish settings, hit browse on the SWF output location and explicitly set it every time I open a FLA. Try hitting your publish settings and set the export location of the SWF. The error may go away.
Thanks for the reply. Sadly, that didn't help. It's so strange that sometimes I get to publish normally, but at other times I don't. Perhaps my virus software is the culprit. Will look into it.
Disable that and also clear your ASO cache from the same menu you test your movie from. See if you're having a cache issue.
It seems the problem does not occur when the virus software is disabled. For the record, I'm using ESET NOD32 Antivirus. I'm completely unfamiliar with how to tweak antivirus software, and disabling it while working with Flash Professional also is kind of a nuclear solution. If anyone knows how this can be resolved, please... but I suspect it's difficult without identifying why NOD32 blocks the transaction in the first place...
Thanks for your help.
There's a lot embedded in flash that has to do with all sorts of network usage. That can easily scare an antivirus as "something that can transmit your data". Maybe try another AV software like AVG? Glad it worked and good luck!
I'm having the same problem with Flash CS5.5, in Mac OS X, while I try to export a FLA into a MOV.
"Error creating SWF file."
"Destination directory does no exist. Change your publish settings"
I have no idea how to fix it... Bu I will try something because I've to finish my work...
I have been banging my head on this same problem for days. Reading you post here about disabling NOD32 (yes, I am also using NOD32), I tried your suggestion, and ... it totally worked!! Thanks very much, I am very grateful.
Man it would be interesting to know why NOD32 cuases this to happen.
I recently bought a new laptop PC, bought and installed NOD32 (version 5.2) on this machine too. And to my surprise, the problem with publishing did not occur anymore. So I checked my other machine, and updated NOD32 to the latest version... and wow, the problem seems to have disappeared! So you might want to look into that.
Always suspect any software whos sole job is to intercept data to be a potential problem. That's why I ask about it first every time .
Just adding a couple keywords in the post so others having the same issue can find it on google.
Eset, NOD, NOD32, Norton, McAfee.. Hope it fixes someone elses issues.