6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2012 9:58 AM by Peter Spier

Can't complete data merge

Mr. Met Level 3

I'm doing auction paddles. 4 up on 8.5 x 11. Top left quadrant is 1-40, bottom left 41-80, top right 81-120, bottom right 121-160. I merge the top quadrant and get my 40 page file. I put the cursor in bottom left quad and merge column two of my excel file and it goes about 3/4 and BBOD comes up repeatedly. I thought maybe font was too big. But I typed 555 in one box to see how big it can go before disappearing and reduced size to stay well within text frame.

This is in CS6 or CS5. I'm going to try another font but I'm perplexed. I rebooted and the only app open is ID. I'm using Helv Cond Med at 75%. Excel and ID screen shot attached.

merge snafu.jpg

• 1. Re: Can't complete data merge
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are you really using Data Merge? It doesn't sound like it. You should be able to set up with a placholder for each column and do a single one-record-per-page merge to get everything in one go.

Had a user yesterday who found she had to specify the records by number rather than saying all to get her merge to finish...

• 2. Re: Can't complete data merge
            Mr. Met Level 3

Definitely using ID data merge. I have 4 boxes on one page. Let me go back and set up one 4.25 x 5.5 page and see what happens. I think I'll just merge in one box and then use imposition to stack and cut. Data merge is a royal PITA.

• 3. Re: Can't complete data merge

No, you want to set up as letter size and put 4 frames on the page like this:

Data Merge 4 up.png

Then do a single record per page merge.

The way your data is set up, each record should have 4 values: 1, 41

• 4. Re: Can't complete data merge

Sorry, the forum screwed up and cut off the last part.

Should have been

No, you want to set up as letter size and put 4 frames on the page like this:

Data Merge 4 up.png

Then do a single record per page merge.

The way your data is set up, each record should have 4 values: 1, 41, 81, 121;  2, 42, 82, 122; and so forth to give you 160 paddles (you actually have two cells numbered 41 on your sheet right now, so maybe you want 1, 42, 83, 124; 2, 43, 84, 125; and 41 pages for 164 paddles?)

• 5. Re: Can't complete data merge
                  Mr. Met Level 3

That's how I set it up. 4up on a page. I think after that point I screwed up.

• 6. Re: Can't complete data merge

I think so too.This is what got me to questioning if you were using Data Merge:

"I put the cursor in bottom left quad and merge column two of my excel file..."

First, you don't use an Excel file directly, you need to save it as a .csv or .txt file. Next, there's no running the merge twice, let alone 4 times. You add the palceholders for each field (the first row in the text file is the placeholders), then you merge, and you get a new documetn with your data merged into it. Done. One step.

I think you are maybe placing ranges from the Excel sheet?