10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2014 3:45 AM by EdoSensei

Major Media Browser BUG. Deal breaker?

Fieldprod

Currently working on an important tv project and experiencing a huge problem with CS6. I've heard many are having problems with the same issue. I'm loading clips (in my case AVCHD)  as thumbnails as well as list view in the media browser and it's not letting me scroll down without being pushed back to the top. It's now come to the point where it's no longer just annoying but also literally impossible to work with. I've tried finding work-arounds but after paying for a product I don't feel it should be necessary using third-party applications to use my clips.

My production company has just gone from years with FCP to now working with Premiere, but if anyone can't tell me what causes this problem, or Adobe can't fix it, it's basically a deal breaker.

My specs:

Mac Pro

Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2,8 GHz

Memory: 16gb

ATI Radeon HD 5870

www.fieldproductions.com

• 1. Re: Major Media Browser BUG. Deal breaker?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

It's a bug that Adobe is aware of and supposedly working on.

Your only option for now is to let all the thumbs generate before scrolling.

And DO let Adobe know this bug (which they originally considered a mere annoyance) makes the program unusable for you.  The more that do, the sooner it'll get fixed.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 2. Re: Major Media Browser BUG. Deal breaker?
            Fieldprod Level 1

Thanks Jim, I will let them know.

And i've tried generating the thumbnails before doing anything but for me that doesn't make any difference. It also seems like everytime you save (even auto-save), you need to do the process all over.

• 3. Re: Major Media Browser BUG. Deal breaker?
              jstrawn Adobe Employee

DO let Adobe know this bug (which they originally considered a mere annoyance) makes the program unusable for you. 

In my initial attempt to understand what other users were seeing and to help them work around the problem, I said that it was an annoyance TO ME but was not blocking my own workflow. That is still the case for me, but that doesn't mean I think the problem is trivial. I have already escalated the open issue as high as I can. However, it's often not reproducible for a lot of users, so it will take some time to isolate and fix the problem.

@ Fieldprod: Any additional bug reports or other repro info that you can provide may be helpful to us. Thanks for your support.

• 4. Re: Major Media Browser BUG. Deal breaker?
                VictorRomeo76

Hi everyone,

i do have exactly the same problem described here in the first post (pushback to the top in Mediabrowser). As this topic is currently about half a year old, i am wondering if there is a solution meanwhile. Let all the thumbs render in advance doesn't work for me. Only the files currently shown on screen are comning up with a preview - so i have to scroll down to trigger a preview. So i scroll down and keep the scrollbar draged. It jumps up, i have to catch it again, scroll down hoping to find the point where it had stoped generating thumbs just before it jumps back up.

I am working with Win7 64bit, 16 GB Ram, Nvidia 560, Intel I7, CS6 Production Premium

• 5. Re: Major Media Browser BUG. Deal breaker?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

My solution is to leave the clips in List mode without thumbs, and use Bridge to see the clips and make my choices.

• 6. Re: Major Media Browser BUG. Deal breaker?
                    CaliPVP Level 1

WoW! this problem has been going on for 2+ years now and still no fix?

• 7. Re: Major Media Browser BUG. Deal breaker?
                      phratton

It's weird because i don't have any issues with CS6, only CC.

I don't have he jumping issue bbut speed issues.

Here what I posted in another site:

It's too slow.

I ran some quick tests here.

In CS6, create a new project and chose a drive in media browser. It read the files in 21 seconds.

In CC, create a new project and chose the same drive in media browser. It read the files in 1 minute and 40 seconds.

I really enjoy editing in CC but this issue is killing me.

Does anyone have a clue?

[Text formatting corrected.  Please type your posts into the forums, as copy/paste often leaves unwanted formatting.]

Message was edited by: Jim Simon

• 8. Re: Major Media Browser BUG. Deal breaker?
                        Jeffb2009 Level 1

ok, this media browser jumping around bug is just plain nuts. Have logged a bug with Adobe - they must have had so many by now. Haven't found a work around for premiere and are now having to edit in another program.

how long can they leave this problem?

any fixes etc very welcome

• 9. Re: Major Media Browser BUG. Deal breaker?
                          CaliPVP Level 1

I got to the point of re-installing everything.  Even my Mac OS and so far so good.  I'm guessing the installation got corrupted some how. 

• 10. Re: Major Media Browser BUG. Deal breaker?
                            EdoSensei

Hi guys !

Just wanted to post because we had the same problem on 4 different computers with different configurations.

It was really annoying to have this jumping/refreshing media browser problem. At a point, that this browser was useless.

Then we had a problem with droping sound editing r3d code... Kind of a deal breaker, when the company claims that you can edit 4K r3d files no ?

We finally figured out that the Media Cache and the Media Cache files NEEDS to stay in the original folders (C:\Users\nameofuser\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common).

Even if everybody on the web tells you to dedicate a single SSD just for the media cahe, it won't work for Premiere pro. DON'T MOVE THOSE FOLDERS !

Removing those folders to the original place (C:\Users\nameofuser\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common) [again]  solved the problem for us. Hope it will work for you guys.

Don't blame Adobe, i'm sure they'll read my post to fix this in the next version of premiere