19 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2012 12:11 PM by davidhramsey

File saving name

davidhramsey Level 1

Greetings

I am working on a museum project. I have been asked to convert full resolution files to web based files using "Save for Web and Devices". The problem is in the file naming. Museums typically use accession #s for each work. Example   1999.63.102  So the digital file would be named 1999.63.102.jpg (or tif). When I attempt to save the file using "Save for Web and Devices" the resulting name is converted to 1999.jpg  I believe the . (periods) to be the culprit. Any thoughts on how to work arounf this? There are hundreds to do so renaming is not an option. This does not occur when I use "Save as".

Thank You in advance

David

Sorry, CS 5.5

Message was edited by: davidhramsey

• 1. Re: File saving name
          Curt Y Level 7

As I understand it, in the file saving protocol of Windows, anything after the dot is considered an extension.  So you are correct that the dot is the problem.

Not smart enought to offer an answer.  Might have to revert to a script.  But maybe someome else will prove me wrong.  That would be good for you.

• 2. Re: File saving name
            Level 5

Curt Y wrote:

As I understand it, in the file saving protocol of Windows, anything after the dot is considered an extension.  So you are correct that the dot is the problem...

Not quite. Anything after the last dot is considered an extension. This is true on all OSs.

My PS CS5 on Windows can properly produce a file named "1999.63.102.jpg". Perhaps this is a Photoshop for Mac bug?

I believe this issue has been reported on the forum before.

You could use underscores instead of dots. If dots are required, you could use a file renamer utility to batch rename all files in a directory... replacing the underscores with dots.

• 3. Re: File saving name
              davidhramsey Level 1

Thanks, I did forget to mention that I am Mac OS 10.6.8

The strange part is that I can save the file via "Save as" with no issues. It is only when I save via "Save for Web and Devices" the issue occurs.

• 4. Re: File saving name
                Level 5

That is a sign that Photoshop devs need to fix their program on Mac.

• 5. Re: File saving name
                  Curt Y Level 7

Fortunately Marian proved me wrong.  I renamed a file in Win7 machine and it worked fine.  Guess you can not have any dots after the extension, but OK before.

Tried to save for web and no matter what options I tried it would still truncate name after first dot.  Perhaps a web thing?

• 6. Re: File saving name
                    davidhramsey Level 1

I would like to hear from Chris Cox regarding this. Is this truely a Mac OS-CS5.5 thing? If what I am asking cannot be done then I will move on. But if there is a way to make this work I would  be very interested in knowing how.

Thanks

David

• 7. Re: File saving name
                      Level 5

Curt Y wrote:

...Tried to save for web and no matter what options I tried it would still truncate name after first dot...

Are you doing this on the Win7 machine too or on Mac?

As I could do this and you cannot, I wonder if it is a user preference thing. I don't think I have set anything unusual and have no idea if something like this is set in preferences. I've got a pretty vanilla configuration.

• 8. Re: File saving name
                        Curt Y Level 7

I can save image in PS with caboose.16.255.333.jgp and it works fine.

But when I choose "save for web" it wants to save as caboose.16.jpg.

Win7 on CS5 or CS6.

• 9. Re: File saving name
                          Curt Y Level 7

Have you tried changing save options? 

Create or open any file. Select File -> Save for Web. In the window that comes up, click the little pull down arrow / circle next to “Preset”, then click Edit Output Settings.

Switch to Saving Files  Under Filename Compatibilty, uncheck Max OS 9. Click Save.

• 10. Re: File saving name
                            Level 5

Odd.

I just tried changing options with no 'success'. I'm still able to save correctly as "a.b.c.d.jpg" or "1.2.3.4.jpg".

I'm using Win7 Pro with PS12.1 (CS5) and PS9.0.2 (CS2), saving to local NTFS drive.

Here's a related topic but it was not the one I was thinking of:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4129713

Maybe the SFW prefs have gone wonky. Try resetting with this FAQ. Note that SFW prefs are different from normal preferences.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/375776

my-settings.1.2.3.4.png

• 11. Re: File saving name
                              davidhramsey Level 1

It "seems" that the problem occurs when there are more than 2 dots. ie 2003.0106.tif will rename correctly but 2003.0106.23.tif will not.

• 12. Re: File saving name
                                davidhramsey Level 1

Sorry, I am incorrect about the last post

• 13. Re: File saving name
                                  Pattie F Employee Moderator

This may be  a bug in Photoshop's Save for Web  code. Thanks for pointing it out. I will log a bug and have the developer check in to it. Sorry I don't have a quick fix for you! I would use an underscore instead of the dot in the filename so it works and is easy to read.

Thanks

Pattie

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: File saving name
                                    Level 5

davidhramsey wrote:

...Unfortunately museums work with the "dot" system and I have thousands of files already named that way...

You still can name them that way... just not in Photoshop.

http://www.mrrsoftware.com/MRRSoftware/NameChanger.html

• 15. Re: File saving name

Well, this may be harder to figure out.  I am trying to reproduce this and I am able to successfully save a file on both Mac with 10.7.4 and Win7 as file.two.three.four.jpg from file>save for web (using several periods in the name). I am wondering what I might be doing that is different because it seems to work ok for me. I also tried 1999.63.102.jpg  and 1999.63.102.tiff and was also successful on both systems.

Rather than using an existing museum file, are you able to create a new file and then successfully save as web with the periods in the document name?

Pattie

• 16. Re: File saving name
                                        Level 5

You and me both... which makes me think this might be a corrupted user preference or something unique to a system.

• 17. Re: File saving name

David- 

It works fine for me in CS5 as well as CS6. Is there a chance you have copied old plugins from CS4 to CS5 or made some other manual change after installing CS5? I believe this problem is specific to something with your system only.

Pattie

• 18. Re: File saving name
                                            Curt Y Level 7

Earlier I got the same result that David got.  When I retested I could not reproduce the problem.

Thinking back at how I saved the file and a little "duh" moment and I found my mistake.

image.1.2.3.4. saved on web just fine.

image.1.2.3.4 saved is incorrect and will not save on web either correctly.  Note: no dot after 4

• 19. Re: File saving name
                                              davidhramsey Level 1

An update

I have not been able to get the problem to reproduce consistantly. CS6 arrived and things "seem" to be working. Time to move forward. Thank you to all who took the time to help me with this.

David