36 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2012 3:17 PM by Peter Spier

Can't select stray text

Vicki Baldwin

New to ID CS5.5.  Have some stray text (three random words) on my page (not a master page) that I can't select, even if I move all other text out of the way.  I've tried Ctrl-shift and can't Unlock All, but there are no layers, just a simple two-page spread. It's like a weird watermark or something, but there's no master page.

• 1. Re: Can't select stray text
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Unless you deliberately applied the None master, there's always a master page, so take a look at Master A for starters.

A screen shot would be really helpful here, with frame edges showing. Embed it in your post by using the camera icon on the web page like this:

CameraIcon.png

• 2. Re: Can't select stray text
            Vicki Baldwin Level 1

I'm so new to InDesign that I have no idea where to even look for "Master A". And how to I get frame edges to show for a screen shot?

• 3. Re: Can't select stray text

The Pages panel (Window > Pages) is divided into two parts. Top half is the Master pages, bottom the real document pages. Double click a page icon to select it for editing.

Frame edges should be on by default, but check the View menu....

• 4. Re: Can't select stray text
                Vicki Baldwin Level 1

The Master A page is blank. Clicked on "Show Frame Edges" but nothing changed.  Here's a screen shot of the random text. They won't budge...

Random text on ID doc.jpg

• 5. Re: Can't select stray text

I'm not seeing frame edges.

Can you zoom out to show the whole page, and include the Layers panel, too in another screen shot? I have a feeling that text is either part of the background image or some other image.

• 6. Re: Can't select stray text
                    Vicki Baldwin Level 1

Um, I can try... How do I get to the Layers panel?  Sorry, I really don't know this program at all.   This file has been used for 3 previous newsletters and this text just showed up this week.

• 7. Re: Can't select stray text
                      Vicki Baldwin Level 1

You mean this?Picture 2.png

• 8. Re: Can't select stray text
                        [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

The grey background shows you are still working in "preview" mode. That's why you cannot see frame edges.

Make sure nothing is selected, then press the "w" button once.

• 9. Re: Can't select stray text

And click the little triangle next to the name Layer 1 in the layers panel so it expands and you can see all the objects on the layer. I expect you'll see some individually locked objects.

• 10. Re: Can't select stray text
                            Vicki Baldwin Level 1

Here's a screenshot of the Layers panel, opened.  I didn't see anything locked.  The text in question was never there before this week!  Help!

Picture 1.png

• 11. Re: Can't select stray text

Those bits of text appear to be type on a path. There are a hudred or so objects on that layer -- scroll down.

You can click the eyballs next to each object to make them invisible to help you find what you are looking for if ti isn't obvious from the object name in the panel. I would say this file would also benefit from a little organization in the form of additional layers onto which you can move similar or associated content and which can then be turned off to help you work.

• 12. Re: Can't select stray text
                                Vicki Baldwin Level 1

I'm sure this file would benefit from a lot of work! It came to me "as is" from a volunteer designer (I work in non-profit), and I've just been updating text and pics. Have no earthly idea what I'm doing!  I wouldn't know how to add layers or associated content if my life depended on it!   I'll try selecting the "eyeballs" tomorrow at work and see what happens...I'll letcha know.  Thanks!

• 13. Re: Can't select stray text
                                  Vicki Baldwin Level 1

I see the eyeballs on the layer tab, but nothing disappears when I click on it...

• 14. Re: Can't select stray text

It may be hard to spot what's disappearing with so many things on that layer. Do you see any padlocks in the second column?

Also, I'd be willing to bet those bits of text on a path are leftovers from the alst version of this file and will be down at the bottom of the stack. Yoou need to pull that blue slider on onthe side of the panel down to the bottom to expose more stuff. If you click in the little square next to the name of an object in the layer you will select it, so you can try starting at the bottom of the stack and click little squares until one of your stray texts is selected. At least then you'll know what it was named inthe panel and you can look for more like it. Odds are good they'll all be pretty close together.

• 15. Re: Can't select stray text
                                      Vicki Baldwin Level 1

No padlocks.  I clicked and unclicked every box in the layers panel, but nothing....

• 16. Re: Can't select stray text

Click the little white square on the right to select the objects:

Lyers Panel Selection box.png

• 17. Re: Can't select stray text
                                          Vicki Baldwin Level 1

How do I know which file to select? None  of them are locked and they all have generic names.

• 18. Re: Can't select stray text

I just made a sample file with some text on a path to check how it's identified. Curved lines with text seem to be ientified as <path>, straight ones as <line>. I'd try looking for those near the bottom of the layer and see waht they are.

As I said, this would be a LOT easier if your documetn was organized in multiple layers, one for the background, one for images, and one for text, for example, so you could easily turn things on and off.  This is going to be largely trial and error to find.

• 19. Re: Can't select stray text
                                              Vicki Baldwin Level 1

If I can find a volunteer for our organization to organize the layers, I will certainly do that. In the meantime, I'm struggling to do basics and they won't send me to any training.

• 20. Re: Can't select stray text
                                                SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Looking at your screen shots, I had a thought...

Click on the red + in the bottom right of your map. Screen shot 2012-06-11 at 1.00.05 PM.pngThis should get you a loaded curser  the overset text that is connect to your stray words. (it looks like the map is set as a text box, and type is flowed into it). You can then drag a small box outside your page to place the overset text.

If this works, then place your text curser in the new text box, select all and delete. Then select the map with the solid pointer. Object>content>unassigned will make the map be just a graphic rather than a container for text or image.

If this is what happened, go to your preferences and uncheck "Type tool converts frames to text frames" to keep it from accidently happening again.

• 21. Re: Can't select stray text

If you can send me the file, I'll see if I can find the stray text objects for you. I'm sending you an upload link by Private Message.

• 22. Re: Can't select stray text
                                                    Vicki Baldwin Level 1

OK, thanks!

• 23. Re: Can't select stray text
                                                      Vicki Baldwin Level 1

I just sent the file.

• 24. Re: Can't select stray text
                                                        Vicki Baldwin Level 1

Didn't get me a loaded cursor, just the "beach ball" that spins for about 10 minutes and gives up...

• 25. Re: Can't select stray text

I didn't disappear, just been working on your file. I'll be uploading the revised version for you in a few minutes.

I had a REALLY hard time, even on my very fast workstation, making this file work. Those backgrounds are a mass of independent and grouped vector paths, and they slow things down to a crawl. It also turns out that your extra text seems to have become part of a compound path tha is the major part of the background on page 2, and that's why you couldn't select it.

I've organized the file into layers to make your life simpler, and I moved all the background paths into Illustrator, saved them there as .ai files (and removed the extra text), then placed the .ai files as links to replace all those paths. Now I can navigate and the screen redraws nearly instantly. You still have some image problems, though. Several of your pictures were pasted in instead of using File > Place. This is a bad technique and if you have the original photos I suggest you replace the pasted copies with links to the originals.

Good Luck.

• 26. Re: Can't select stray text

While I'm waiting for the file to upload, I'd offer a bit more advice. This newsletter has been "recycled" a number of times over the last two years. Recycling in this sense means the same file was saved with a new name, then the old irrelevant content removed and the new stuff added. This type of workflow leads to problems where things get removed or not removed accidentally, and also increases the chance of file corruption total meltdown.

A far better workflow for things like newsletters is to create an InDesign Template file that has all of the repeating content, you color swatches, master pages, and style sheets, then create each new issue by working from the template. I understand that you are very new to ID, and you probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but you should try very hard to get some training, or find someone local to help you get this set up.

• 27. Re: Can't select stray text
                                                              Vicki Baldwin Level 1

Thanks so much for your help!  Yes, this newsletter was built by a volunteer in another state, sent to me and I just replaced items because I didn't know any other way. I've never even worked in Quark or Illustrator.  My non-profit won't get any training for me, so I'll have to learn it on my own (and on my own time--unpaid). I'll try to find someone local who would like to contribute time to us by sitting with me and setting up those master pages.

I do have those original photos, so I'll Place them instead. Sometimes when I Place them, I can't resize them, so I give up and just paste them.   Is there a trick to re-sizing photos without the frame being left behind?

• 28. Re: Can't select stray text

When you place a photo you can click the mouse and hold down the button while you drag a frame of the size you want. This will scale the photo proportionally.

Images and their frames are separate things, too, so you can select the frame with the selection tool (black arrow) and move it, along with the content, or drag a selection handle to change its sahpe and crop your photo. If you hover the mouse over the image you may see the "Content Grabber" donut thingy whcih you can click to move the image around inside the frame, or use the Deirect Select tool (white arrow) to move the image. Double-clciking will toggle the selection tools on an ungrouped frame, or it will select the frame from the group and then toggle so you don't need to constantly change tools or group and ungroup.

• 29. Re: Can't select stray text

If you're going to try to train yourself, you probably should buy Sandee Cohen's Visual Quickstart to InDesign book, or get a subscription to Lynda.com (Bob may have a coupon for you for a free week). And of course feel free to come back here with more questions. The more explicit they are, of course, the easier it is to give you a good answer.

• 30. Re: Can't select stray text
                                                                    Vicki Baldwin Level 1

Thank you!!!  I do have one more quick question...How do I print a double-page spread (will be printed on 11X17" paper) on two separate 8-1/2 X 11" sheets? Right now, they print on one 8-1/2 page and it's too tiny for my boss to proofread.

• 31. Re: Can't select stray text
                                                                      Vicki Baldwin Level 1

Oh, there's also a stray graphic now on page 3 (bottom right). It doesn't show on the screen, but prints in the middle of where my text box will be.  How can I fix that?

• 32. Re: Can't select stray text

Can you be more descriptive of what you mean by Page 3? This is only a two-page document the way it's set up (but it sounds like maybe we should change that, too). Do you mean in the area under the words Thank You?

I don't see anything there other than the background graphic when I print to PDF.... Nor do I see any objects other than those that are visible on the page, other than the giant Keith Gilmer photo on the pasteboard to the right.

Back to the setup. It's OK to have this as two 11 x 17 pages, but if you need to print proofs for the boss and don't have a tabloid printer it might be better to split it up into a new document, 8.5 x 11 portrait facing pages.

• 33. Re: Can't select stray text
                                                                          Vicki Baldwin Level 1

What would be the inside right page. Yes, under the words "Thank You", in the

middle of the left column of names. When I print it, there's an extra green

"swirl divider" like we've used on the front page. Can't see it until you print

it out.

• 34. Re: Can't select stray text

Only swirl divider printing here is the vertical one to the left that shows in the layout and your screen shots.

• 35. Re: Can't select stray text
                                                                              Vicki Baldwin Level 1

I printed and scanned the page, but the forum won't let me insert a PDF...

• 36. Re: Can't select stray text

You can embed a jpeg or a .png from your scan, or link to the PDF on an external server.