I design photo books with indesign and I have a lot of master pages where I create my templates and then pick and choose the appropriate master for each page. The layouts range from simple black background + one big rectangle to many rectangles laid out in a grid. I design with facing pages and bleed. On each master spread I create 2 symmetrical versions of the layout so that it looks as if the left page is mirrored to the right page. BTW I use Indesign CS6.
The problem I have is that I often want to apply say master B on the left page and master D on the right page but whenever I do this then the rectangles that touch the spine from in this case the right page of master B end up on my right page as well and the rectangles that touch the spine on master D of the left page end up on my left page. So near the spine I have unnecessary rectangles that need to be deleted.
Is there a way to "assign" object on the master spreads to individual pages so that I only get the elements that are fully on each page and not the ones that happen to touch the spine as well? The books I create are printed "lay flat" so adjusting the rectangles not to touch the spine is not really an option as this might create visible artefacts. Or are there any other workarounds that you can think of?
I hope my description was understandable
Thanks in advance,
> ... rectangles that touch the spine on master D of the left page end up on my left page.
CS6, and that infamous bug is STILL there!?
Can you check if your rectangles really just "touch" the inner margin, or do they perhaps *overlap* it? If only by the smallest amount possible?
If they actually are just touching it, aforementioned bug seems to have gotten a bit worse in CS6!!
thanks for your reply! As create them with snapping turned on and no stroke active, so as far as I can tell they go exactly to the spine but no further. Oh but come to think of it, I did change the object style to have a stroke afterwards.
Ah, thats it! I just checked and realized that this happens because I designed the layouts with stroke deactivated but then added a slight stroke. Because of this stroke there was a tiny bit of overlap onto the other side and that is why I had the problem. So now I just turned the stroke off again and everything seems to work as expected.
Thanks a lot for getting me on the right track!