7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2012 2:31 PM by angusshmangus

can i just use photoshop cs4 to rotobrush footage?

angusshmangus

there is this new feature I have seen in after effects cs5 called rotobrush. at first glance it appears to be a photoshop selection tool that has been ported over to after effects. is this correct? if so can i just use the video features in photoshop to achieve the same effect? I am struggling with a green screen shot where the screen is reflecting in the side of the car. i may need to just lose the green screen altogether and shoot the car and actor against a kind of uniform brown background and rotoscope the actor and car. instead of upgrading to production studio cs6 perhaps i can already do what i need to do with my existing software which is cs4.

thanks in advance

Angus

• 1. Re: can i just use photoshop cs4 to rotobrush footage?
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You can, of course, do roto in PS, but it's laborious frame-by-frame work.  After Effects's tools are far more appropriate for the job. 

No offence, but it sounds like you just need to get some experience with keying and roto work.  The most important part happens in the camera, so lighting, positioning and file formats are crucial factors.  Look around for some tutorials on rotoscoping in After Effects.

I've never heard of anyone shooting on brown - why brown?

• 2. Re: can i just use photoshop cs4 to rotobrush footage?
            angusshmangus Level 1

hi andrew

thanks for the response. i think what i might do is make a desktop video as there are many things i need to explain/show etc. too much to write. a desktop video showing photos will be far quicker. it is for a short film project where the entire location is set in the desert. I am going to be filming on a farm in the netherlands.

angus

• 3. Re: can i just use photoshop cs4 to rotobrush footage?
              bogiesan Level 4

All cromakey effects require careful tweaking. All you need to do is learn how to use the internal masking available in KeyLight or learn how to stack multiple copies of your footage and selectively key/mask/filter the layers; all standard ooperations in propelry processing keying. But the most crucial aspect of shooting green screen is the setup. You want to do everything on the set that is possible to avoid having to post process your failures to understand the technology and the mistakes of an ignorant crew. 

• 4. Re: can i just use photoshop cs4 to rotobrush footage?
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No matter what you are trying to roto it's tedious. The hardest part of doing roto is keeping the edges from jittering. AE is a much better, more efficient tool than Photoshop even if you are simply animating masks.

• 5. Re: can i just use photoshop cs4 to rotobrush footage?
                  angusshmangus Level 1

Hi

Sorry for the delay. Here is the desktop video I promised. I just found making the video far easier than trying to explain everything via writing.

Please watch this video first (this just gives you an idea of the set)

http://youtu.be/e4EcxpCjaWo

then this one

http://youtu.be/oavmEs9a3no

Thanks!

Angus

• 6. Re: can i just use photoshop cs4 to rotobrush footage?
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

I looked at the two clips, and I'm sorry you're so far into the project.  Bad reflections.  Unwanted shadows.  I noticed you wondered out loud, "How do they do it in Hollywood?"

For starters, they use visual effects people with years of training and experience.  They have photographers who already know how to shoot for visual effects.  Frame One never gets shot until they KNOW things will work. 

The only time they shoot just on faith of success is when they shoot test footage.  Not in production.

In my opinion, you're at this metaphorical point:

You're sitting on the limb of a tree, working hard to saw the limb off.  Unfortunately, you're making the cut between you and the tree trunk.  Once you realize the mistake, you have two options: stop immediately, give it up as a bad job, climb down and try again later... or keep on working and fall hard.

Thus, I offer advice you won't want to hear: stop right now.  Cut your losses.  Don't waste your time and money until you get the knowledge you need.

This is a good and comparatively inexpensive  starting point.

• 7. Re: can i just use photoshop cs4 to rotobrush footage?
                      angusshmangus Level 1

Well we,re still just testing and it is an inexpensive personal project. We havent started filming yet. And this is how one goes about getting knowledge in the first place as far as I am aware. Well thanks for the response anyway.

Sent from my Windows Phone