7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2012 6:32 AM by Peter Spier

Configuration of a paper layout

heraldoborges

Hey there!

I'd like to make a layout with two columns, one for text and the other for imagens and footnotes related to the text in the first column.

The layout is a A4 paper sheet on landscape. The margins are 2cm top and bottom, 3cm left and 2cm right (mirrored margins). The left column will have 15cm and will accomodate the text and the left column will have 8,7cm and will accomodate images and footnotes. The distance between columns is 1cm.

I imagine it's pretty easy but I'm really newbie on InDesign and need this ASAP for my dissertation.

Thank you very much!

• 1. Re: Configuration of a paper layout
          Michael Gianino Level 4

That shouldn't be too hard. I'm not sure which version of InDesign you are using, but here's a screenshot of the New Document window from CS5:

SS1.jpg

Notice that the Facing Pages box is unchecked, and that the chain icon between the margins is broken (this will allow you to have unequal margins). Once you have your document, you will need to set up the column guides. Go to the master page (Window>Pages, then double-click on A-Master:

ss3.jpg

…or at the bottom right of the screen where you see the page number selector, click the triangle and select A-Master).

ss4.jpg

Click into the ruler margin on the left (if you don't see rulers at the top and left, make  them visible in the View menu) and drag a blue ruler guide onto the page to the 18cm mark. If you like, you can just drag it anywhere, and while it is still selected, enter 18cm into the X coordinate in the top left of the screen:

SS5.jpg

Make another guide at 19cm and switch back to the first document page (same place you selected the master page). That should do it.

SS2.jpg

• 2. Re: Configuration of a paper layout
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I really don't understand why Michael is doing things this way.

You said you wanted to mirror the margins. To me that says facing pages, so enable facing pages, and unlink the margins so you can set differnt values for top, bottom, inside, and outside. IF you want tow columns, go ahead and set that here, too.

Now switch to the master page. Go to the View Menu and figure out where the Lock Column Guides command is in your version (it may or may not be in a submenu, depending on the version), and unlock the column guides. Drag them where you like (you are really dragging the gutter -- the guides on both sides of the gutter move in tandem), then relock. Done.

Now for some better advice: Don't use two columns. This sounds counter intuitive, but if you are not going to flow text into a column, you are better off without it. Instead, make a one-column layout and incrase either the inside or outside margin (I wasn't sure if the text column was the inside or outside) so the are of your second column is actually in the margin. Go to the master page and drag ruler guides to define the area that you want to use for your images and notes.

When you use autoflow to place a text file Indesign will either use master text frames, if you've added them (and in most cases I wouldn't) or it depends on the column guides on your pages to tell it where to flow the text. If you have two columns, ID will want to auto-flow the text into both before moving to the next page. You could get around this in a two-column layout by adding a master frame, then going to the master page and adjusting it to fill only one column, but the other problems with master frames and the possiblities of making some other mistake outweigh the ease of settng the column widths by dragging the gutter.

• 3. Re: Configuration of a paper layout
              Michael Gianino Level 4

Peter Spier wrote:

I really don't understand why Michael is doing things this way.

I may have misunderstood the OP's question. That happens. I actually did an undergrad thesis two years ago (different from a dissertation, but by how much I couldn't say), but one of the requirements was single-sided copy, which is what made me think he wanted non-facing pages. Also, he asked for a larger left margin, rather than a larger inside margin.

• 4. Re: Configuration of a paper layout

Well, you might be right. I saw "morrored" and presumed facing pages.

But that doesn't change what I had to say about setting up the columns.

• 5. Re: Configuration of a paper layout
                  heraldoborges Level 1

Thank you both for your help!

But to be understood without problem I'm attaching a sketched of the layout I'm pretend to do.

And YES I want the pages mirrored CCI07062012_00000.jpg

Maybe it will be easier to understand.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Configuration of a paper layout
                    heraldoborges Level 1

And I'm using the InDesign CS5

• 7. Re: Configuration of a paper layout

As I said, I would use facing pages and set the inside and outside margins at the edge of the text block, in this case that looks like 3 cm and 9.7 cm (still not sure which is going to be which as I don't know if that's a left or right page in the illustration).

You can add placeholder frames in the inside margin on your master page to hold the images and for the notes, if you like.

The biggest obstacle here is probably the footnotes. ID doesn't have really sophisticated footnote handling, so you can't just tell it to put the notes in that sidebare if they are flowing in along with the Word doc. ID will automatically put footnotes at the bottom of the frame tha holds the footnote marker. There's a sneaky workaround, though, I think. ID doesn't fully support automatic END notes, so I think if you make a copy of your Word file and convert the footnotes to end notes ID will place the text with the note markers and all of the notes will be appended at the end of the story. You can cut the notes and paste them into the approriate frames on the pages where the markers appear.