6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2012 12:44 PM by the_wine_snob

How to render video without losing quality

zombyorc80 Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to use the export>render video feature in Photoshop CS5 extended. I must use avi without any compression, keeping the original frame rate (the original file is also an uncompressed avi). My impression was that this setting keeps the original video quality. However, the exported video loses quite a bit of its original quality.

Is it possible to keep the original quality? Or am I doing something wrong when I export my videos?

Thank you very much.

• 1. Re: How to render video without losing quality
          Curt Y Level 7

That is an age old wish.  The only way to keep to original quality is to edit without rendering.  Few programs will allow this option.

You best option is to take a very short clip and render it with the various options allowed (save with different name).  Take a frame grab of the original and a frame grab of the rendered versions.  Open frames in PS and see how they compare.  Usually a trade off between quality and file size of rendered video.

• 2. Re: How to render video without losing quality
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Or am I doing something wrong when I export my videos?

Possibly but you could just as well be doing something "wrong" while editing your video liek repositioning it and thus introducing sub-pixel sampling, applying destructive filters and adjustments, mess up color spaces and color values and whatever else you can imagine. Infinitely complex topic and the only way to find the problem is to tippy-toe through all your steps and re-evaluate how you do them and what you may be doing wrong.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: How to render video without losing quality
              zombyorc80 Level 1

Thank you for the suggestions. As a matter of fact, the video quality decreases even if I don't do any editing only rendering (I just open up an uncompressed avi and render it into another uncompressed avi from Photoshop).

It seems that I need to try out another software, alghough I really need Photoshop in my workflow...

Thanks.

• 4. Re: How to render video without losing quality
                MJOrts Level 3

What version of Photoshop are you using?  What are the render settings that you're choosing?

• 5. Re: How to render video without losing quality
                  zombyorc80 Level 1

Photoshop CS5 (64bit). I choose: render video>avi>compression type: none. I also keep the original frame rate (e.g. 30).

Thanks.

• 6. Re: How to render video without losing quality
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

A few questions, please:

Are you maintaining the exact same Frame Size, i.e. pixel x pixel dimensions, between your Source Footage, and your Exported Footage?

Are you maintaining the same PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio), between the Source Footage, and your Exported Footage?

I am not certain of the differences between how PS-Extended handles Video vs how Adobe Premiere Pro (Adobe's NLE, Non Linear Editor, video-editing program, but with PrPro, if you do not change the Frame Size, or the PAR, and then Export an an AVI-Uncompressed (from AVI-Uncompressed Source Footage), there should be zero degradation.

Now, when Exporting, for intermediate use, in say After Effects, or another program, I use one of the Lossless CODEC's, such as Lagarith Lossless, or UT. However, depending on one's delivery scheme, one of those might not be the ideal. Also, I do not know if PS-Extended can use them, as PrPro can. In PrPro, one just chooses MS-AVI, and then for Compression, one of the Lossless CODEC's.

If you are doing enough video editing, you might want to "test drive" Adobe Premiere Pro CS6. It is a great program.

Good luck,

Hunt