6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2012 5:01 PM by the_wine_snob

does length of film cause jerky playback

foxdown88 Level 1

I have been editing a travel film .All was fine when it was 15 minutes long even with a soundtrack and narration. Now it is up to 40 minutes long chunks of the tracks get missed out intermittently and the media pending screen show upon the monitor panel.I have a dual core cpu with 4 mb memory. Are these problems caused by the length of the film.?

• 1. Re: does length of film cause jerky playback
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the specs. of your Source Footage?

What is the Project Preset, that you chose at New Project?

What are the specs. of your I/O sub-system, i.e. the number of physical HDD's, their size, speed in RPM's, controller type, available free-space and how they are allocated? That "Media Pending" often indicates a bottleneck in one's I/O.

If HD, and especially if it uses H.264 material, then the Duo-Core CPU just might not be up to the task of processing it, especially as one adds multiple Tracks, and the Duration expands. With SD material, in DV-AVI, it should still be powerful enough to work with.

Good luck, and let us know a bit more, please,

Hunt

• 2. Re: does length of film cause jerky playback
            foxdown88 Level 1

Thanks Bill

source footage is from JVC and fies have MOD suffix

project properties says

MPEG

file 9.8mb

image size  720x 576

25 fps

totalduration 15.09

average data rate  651 kb/sec

hardware spec is

disc

c drive ST350830  internal  1021  fairly full

h drive  new external WDD usb connected

IDE   ATA/ATAPi contoller

intel (R)  82801  HEM/HBM SATA AHCI controller

intel (R)  ICH8Multra ATA storage controller

IEEE 1394 bus host controllers   2850

Texas instruments compliant  IEEE 1394 host controller

• 3. Re: does length of film cause jerky playback
              foxdown88 Level 1

sorry  this is not HD

• 4. Re: does length of film cause jerky playback
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't use MOD files, but I do remember reading that they can cause problems... found a link to a previous message

Read Hunt on Using MOD/TOD files http://forums.adobe.com/thread/699990

• 5. Re: does length of film cause jerky playback
                  foxdown88 Level 1

Thanks John

I guess my point is that MOD files were working fine and I was making headway on putting together my travel film until It got a bit longer.So I was wondering whether there is some known relationship between the length of the film and the demands placed on the hardware. If not I will have to look for another reason.

Mike

• 6. Re: does length of film cause jerky playback
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for the info.

You state:

c drive ST350830  internal  1021  fairly full

I would clean off some files (maybe locating them on the USB external), so that you have at least 40 - 60GB of free-space. Note: at about 70% of capacity, an HDD slows down, and the closer that you get to 100% capacity, the slower it goes. At 100%, there is a good chance of catastrophic failure. Also, as you likely have your Page File dynamically managed (the default for Windows), and located on your C:\, when editing video, it can swell too. Last, as one writes closer to the hubs of the platters, the slower the read/writes will be.

A few more comments and a question: who is the mfgr. of that HDD, and what is its speed. For Video, one really, really wants 7200RPM, or higher. Also, the limit on the WD external will be the USB connection. I have found those to be far too slow to edit to/from, and at least the older ones were prone to read/write errors, including the dreaded Delayed Write Failure, which can cripple a USB external. That happened most often with a fast computer, when its writing would exceed the speed of the connection.

Good luck,

Hunt