4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2012 4:45 PM by the_wine_snob

UHDTV Format

Ed.Macke Level 3

How long before PRE supports this format...!

Ultra High Definition TV, or UHDTV for short, [has] a resolution of 7680×4320 (8K or 4320p)... comparable to IMAX — and 16 times larger than HD’s paltry 1920×1080. A single frame consists of 33 million pixels — higher resolution than almost every DSLR on the market. At 120 frames per second, a raw 7680×4320 video feed clocks in at 48 gigabits per second (Gbps). The Super Hi-Vision spec supports 22.2-channel sound, too, which comes in at around 50Mbps.

Full Story

• 1. Re: UHDTV Format
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

At first I scoffed at the idea, Ed. But it wasn't that long ago that hi-def video seemed like a rich man's dream too.

Obviously the format is meant to replace film on Hollywood productions -- or for scientific purposes, in which speed of recording and detail are vital.

But who knows? Five years from now we may all be shooting it on our iPhones!

• 2. Re: UHDTV Format
            Ed.Macke Level 3

But who knows? Five years from now we may all be shooting it on our iPhones!

Heh, too true.

They'll also need to come out with some new 200" UHDTV TV's. I'm prepping a spot in my living room now!

• 3. Re: UHDTV Format
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hmm... 3 guesses

1st - the camera to do that is going to cost WAY more than $5k

2nd - I don't think current computer hardware will support the bandwidth required for editing, so it will be "awhile" for computer hardware to catch up

3rd - If-or-when it happens, it will be Premiere Pro, not Premiere Elements... or, PreElements a generation or two after PPro

• 4. Re: UHDTV Format
                the_wine_snob Level 9

RED has has 4K for sometime now, and PrPro ingests and edits it.

It was only a matter of time, before Hollywood would demand 8K footage, and who knows, maybe even 16K at some point in the future.

Somehow, I do not see PrE 11 offering 8K editing though - or even RED 2K, or 4K.

Thanks for the article. Guess that I have missed the last few months of American Cinematographer (usually pick those up at the United Airlines Red Carpet Clubs - but they have been out lately), so was not current on 8K, until now.

Hunt