16 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2012 8:11 AM by nealeh RSS

Deinterlacing in Premiere Elements 9?

theabstractions

Hi there,

I made this movie in Premiere Elements 9, and somebody told me it's got a distracting amount of interlacing.

http://vimeo.com/42903209

I've tried searching for information on how to deinterlace in Elements, but some of the sources I've found say that that's not what I want to do -- the problem is that my source files are 24 fps and I'm exporting in 30.

So now I'm just confused.  Anybody know what I should do?

Thank you,

-Grant

• 1. Re: Deinterlacing in Premiere Elements 9?
          Steve Grisetti CommunityMVP

There is some interlacing.

What model of camcorder was this video shot on and what format and resolution is the video?

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select? Did you ensure it matched the specs of your video precisely?

Finally, how did you load the video to YouTube? It's possible you output it as an interlaced format (such as an AVI or MPEG) before loading it to the web.

• 2. Re: Deinterlacing in Premiere Elements 9?
            theabstractions Community Member

Damn.  It's looking like the problem is the project settings.

The film was shot on a Nikon D3100; the original video files are MOVs, 1920x1080, 24fps.  Somehow I ended up editing in HDV 1080i, 29.97 fps.  I exported as MPEG, HD 720p 30 (NTSC).

I guess I should have been editing in DSLR 1080p, 23.976 fps?  When I start a project with those settings, import one of my original video files, and export it as MPEG, HD720p 25 (PAL), there is no interlacing.

It's really obnoxious that there's no way to change the project settings once the project is underway.  I can't even copy and paste elements from the timeline from one project to another.  But I have no idea how I could possibly start over with new project settings and get everything edited exactly the same.  What can I do?

• 3. Re: Deinterlacing in Premiere Elements 9?

Something else has just come to my attention.  See, I'm the same guy who had this problem...

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/987467

...being unable to export the whole seven-minute movie from Elements 4 on my Vista machine.  I ended up fixing the problem by finishing my edit in Elements 9 on my father's Windows 7 machine; I guess my machine simply didn't have enough memory.

But here's the interesting part.  When I tried to export from Elements 4 on my machine, it would only get part of the way through the movie before giving up.  But when I watch the footage that did manage to export... it's not interlaced!

So everything looks fine when you export from Elements 4, but I can only export the whole thing from Elements 9.  Curiouser and curiouser!

-Grant

• 4. Re: Deinterlacing in Premiere Elements 9?
                nealeh Community Member

theabstractions wrote:

I can't even copy and paste elements from the timeline from one project to another.

The third-party clipboard organiser 'ClipMate' can paste from one project to another. But it's $35.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: Deinterlacing in Premiere Elements 9?
                  Cross_ Community Member

Interlacing is really just an outdated technology. I would recommend capturing progressive footage (720p/1080p) when possible and doing the editing in a progressive project as well. If necessary adjust the output settings if interlaced video is required. In that case FPS mismatches should not cause interlacing.

Basic info here:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc19b622510385d4355c-7f 95.html

theabstractions wrote:

I guess I should have been editing in DSLR 1080p, 23.976 fps?  When I start a project with those settings, import one of my original video files, and export it as MPEG, HD720p 25 (PAL), there is no interlacing.

Even when exporting as something else (720i NTSC) there should be no interlacing. Point is you where using the correct project type for editing this time around.

• 6. Re: Deinterlacing in Premiere Elements 9?

Thanks for all your advice, guys.  No solution yet, though.

Neale, thanks for suggesting ClipMate.  I downloaded the free trial and did indeed manage to copy and paste elements from my timeline into a project with the proper settings.  When I export, the footage is not interlaced.

BUT...

Because I'm copying from a 30 fps project into a 24 fps project, there are now little gaps of less than a frame in between adjacent clips.  This probably wouldn't be noticeable normally, but in a couple of cases there was a transition between two adjacent clips, which -- because they're now separated by a tiny gap -- is now a fade to black followed by a cut to the next clip.

Behold: https://vimeo.com/44546603

I could go through manually and fix it, but I'd be scared of setting off the timing of the whole movie, since the music is synched so closely with the video.

I wish there was a way to export from my 30 fps project that would make the change from 24 to 30 fps simply by repeating frames (ABBCD) instead of interlacing.  That's what the playback does in-program... is there any way to do it on export as well?

Incidentally, all of the above is in Elements 9.  But remember how Elements 4 wouldn't export all the way, and I figured it was a system memory problem?  Well, even on my parents' fancy new Windows 7 desktop, it gets a lot further, but it still won't export all the way.  It's still not interlaced, though, despite still being a 30 fps project!

Oh, computers.

• 7. Re: Deinterlacing in Premiere Elements 9?
                      the_wine_snob CommunityMVP

Be careful about leaving uncovered gaps in your Video. They are fine with Audio, but can cause no end to problems if they exist in Video. The biggest problems would be a "Failure to Return Frame" error message, or just a failure to transcode.

If you are going to add Dip-to-Black, one way to address tiny gaps, if you cannot close them, would be to move all of your Video Clips up to Video Track 2, and then go to the New Icon, and create Black Video. Initially, it will be the Duration set in Edit>Preferences (5 sec. by default), but drag it to just before the first gap, then click on its Tail, and drag that to slightly beyond the last gap.

PrPro has Transparent Video from the New Icon, but unless it's been added, that is not an option in PrE. If it has been added, then do about the same thing, but you do not need to move your Video off of Video Track 1 - just drag the Transparent Video to Video Track 2, to cover the gaps.

Remember, there is a difference between Black Video and the black that you see with the gap, which is just NO Video.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Deinterlacing in Premiere Elements 9?

This is too bizarre.  Here's the video that exports from Elements 4:

http://vimeo.com/44847878

Notice how (unlike the same thing exported from Elements 9) it's not interlaced, even though the source files are 24 fps and the project file is 30 fps.

Notice also how Elements 4 lets me export an MPEG at a resolution of 1920x1080, which Elements 9 refuses to do.  I can only get that resolution from Elements 9 if I'm willing to export as a .m2t (or is it .mts?), which practically no program can play and which Vimeo will not accept.

So really, it's looking like Elements 4 is the better of the two programs for what I want to do.

Except that I still can't get Elements 4 to export the whole video!  So I'm right back to square one with the problem I had here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/987467

We never really got to the bottom of that problem.  I was sure it was a system memory problem, since there was nothing wrong with any of the video's components (they all exported just fine when I split the project into sections).  But even on my parents' brand new Windows 7 desktop, it only gets to about fifty percent before crapping out.  That's a lot better than the fifteen percent I got on my Vista laptop, but still, why should this be happening?

(Elements 9 can export the whole thing, but it adds interlacing and is the wrong file format, as I mentioned above.)

-Grant

• 9. Re: Deinterlacing in Premiere Elements 9?
                          Steve Grisetti CommunityMVP

There are a number of noninterlaced video output options that will not give you these issues, Grant. M2t is not one of them.

In version 10, there is some perfect outputs for video for the web under Share/Computer/AVCHD. Under the preset drop-down, there are presets for YouTube and Vimeo.

DV-AVIs and M2T video are television formats. You want to output as a format that's optimized for the web, which you can do manually following these steps.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/623549?tstart=0

Trying to use a television video format online is nearly always going to give you interlacing artifacts.

• 10. Re: Deinterlacing in Premiere Elements 9?

No good, I'm afraid.  Version 8 has no AVCHD option.  And there is a YouTube option but no Vimeo option.  And the YouTube option uploads straight to YouTube and doesn't create a movie file on the computer, and I need to have a non-interlaced movie file on the computer as well as a copy on Vimeo.

That's really interesting about TV formats vs. web-optimized formats; I didn't know about that.  Unfortunately, I followed the instructions in the other thread to export it as an MOV with all the right specs (high quality, high bitrate, and everything, even a framerate of 23.97 fps), and ended up with a video that was even more interlaced than what I had before!

• 11. Re: Deinterlacing in Premiere Elements 9?

As for the Export/Share options, there IS one for the old YouTube, BUT, like Vimeo, you can Export/Share to a compatible file, and then manually upload that to the sharing service.

For YouTube, this FAQ Entry might be helpful.

Usually, it is better to Export/Share to the appropriate file type/settings, and then manually upload the output file.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Deinterlacing in Premiere Elements 9?

Yes, I know, and that's what I'd prefer to do.

But what export settings can I use that will give me good web-optimized video?  As I said, I followed the instructions in that FAQ entry and got even worse interlacing than I had before.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be getting upset.  In fact, I want to thank all of you for all the work you've been putting into solving my problem.  It's just really frustrating that I haven't found an answer yet.

I wonder if I could start a new project (24 fps), import the interlaced version, deinterlace, and export that.

-Grant

• 13. Re: Deinterlacing in Premiere Elements 9?

Try to Export/Share to FLV, which is the format that YouTube re-Encodes to.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Deinterlacing in Premiere Elements 9?

Problem solved!

Importing the interlaced version into a new 24 fps project and deinterlacing didn't work.

Exporting to FLV didn't work.

But what did work was exporting the movie in one-minute-long chunks from Elements 4, importing those chunks into a new project in Elements 4, and exporting that.  For some reason the program could export the whole seven-minute film when I did that, even though it couldn't export the whole seven-minute film if I did it the ordinary way.  (Anybody know why?)

Result: An exported version, 1920x1080, with no interlacing!

http://vimeo.com/42903209

The colours have a teeny tiny bit more contrast than they did before, but that's no problem (and you don't even notice it unless you look at the old version and the new version in quick succession).

Thanks so much to everyone here for suggesting so many solutions to the problem and things to look into.  I'm so glad I got it to work -- and next time, I'll edit in 24 fps to begin with!

Best wishes to all,

-Grant

• 15. Re: Deinterlacing in Premiere Elements 9?
                                      davidorthfurniture Community Member

Grant or anyone else,

I'm trying to use ClipMate to cut and paste between projects.  Can't get it to work.  CM doesn't even show PrElements in the "application profile".  Any help would be appreciated.

I'm using PrE 11 on Windows7.

David

• 16. Re: Deinterlacing in Premiere Elements 9?
                                        nealeh Community Member

Take a look at reply #10 here: copy with ClipMate 7.3.

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale
                                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children