15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2013 10:57 AM by Jay Chevako

Windows 7 fonts in Pagemaker 6.5

rockit31

OK,  I got over the first hurdle and installed the virtual XP Mode on my new Windows 7 64 bit PC.  Was able to then install PM6.5.

My problem now is that the list of available fonts in PM is very limited.   Was wondering how to incorporate all the fonts available in Windows 7 into my PM.   Is it possible?

• 1. Re: Windows 7 fonts in Pagemaker 6.5
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

PM 6.5 was never supported under XP and running this way is even crazier.

That said, put the fonts in the Windows fonts folder.

Good luck

Bob

• 2. Re: Windows 7 fonts in Pagemaker 6.5
            rockit31 Level 1

Thank you for the prompt reply Bob,  but I dont think I made myself very clear.  

First off,  this is a friend's pc.   I actually built it for her.   She just shipped her old XP machine (which she never had 1 single problem with PM), off to her nephew and she is freaking out dealing with the incompatibility issues with Windows 7.   But at least we were able to get it running via this virtual XP mode.  

She is a diehard PM user and is hesitant to upgrade to InDesign,  (I hear it costs quite a bit of money),  so at this point we are resolved to getting PM to work on this Windows 7 box.   And it does work for the most part.    It's just that the fonts that are available in PM are not the ones she needs.   She needs various other fonts that are all available in Windows 7,  they just don;t show up in PM.   

So your post stating  "put the fonts in the Windows fonts folder"  is not helpful as the fonts are already in that folder.   How do we get PM to see them and make them available is the question.

• 3. Re: Windows 7 fonts in Pagemaker 6.5

Which fonts folder? The XP or Windows 7?

AFAIK, they have to be in the XP fonts folder…and again, this is an unsupported setup and all bets are off.

Do your friend a favor and point her to Scribus (free and open source) or PagePlus (around $99). Both are far superior and both work on Windows 7.

Bob

• 4. Re: Windows 7 fonts in Pagemaker 6.5
                BigJohnD Level 3

What Bob said - though maybe you need administrator rights to get full access to the font folder.

Remember PM6.5 is over a decade old and obsolete, and you're using a non-standard setup.  Best of luck.

• 5. Re: Windows 7 fonts in Pagemaker 6.5
                  rockit31 Level 1

That's the thing.   I can see the fonts folder in Windows 7.    It is located in C:\Windows\Fonts.     But PM opens up an entirely different set of fonts.  I suspect that they are XP fonts from this virtual XP mode that PM has to run in.    There is no real directory structure at all here so it is impossible as far as I can tell,  to manipulate these fonts.   I was hoping there was some way for PM to see the fonts in the Windows 7  folder but I'm thinking not.  

Yes Big John,  I am fully aware that PM is obsolete and unsupported in this OS.   But you know how users are,   they get used to something,  they don't want to change.   I don't blame them, especially when companies like Adobe, Microsoft and their ilk  are constantly revamping their products more for the intent of making money than anything else.

• 6. Re: Windows 7 fonts in Pagemaker 6.5

Gee, picture that…a publicly traded company selling products with the intent of making money. I never really considered that as their motive.

I just love comments like this. Would you like the world to stand still for you? With attitudes like that we’d all be watching radio in black and white.

If your friend doesn’t want change then build the machine with XP (and please spare me the fact that it’s unavailable. You can find legal copies anywhere) or better yet, Windows 95 or refer to my earlier comments about suitable cheap or free replacement for Pagemaker.

Bob

• 7. Re: Windows 7 fonts in Pagemaker 6.5
                      rockit31 Level 1

No,  I talked her into downloading the free trial of InDesign.   I also forwarded her your recommendation on Scribus.   The ball's in her court.  

Looking on Adobe's site,   Indesign sells for $699.    Can this be found cheaper anywhere?  

• 8. Re: Windows 7 fonts in Pagemaker 6.5

Not by much.

As much as I love ID, for anyone who doesn’t want the bells and whistles Scribus and PagePlus are much better choices.

Anyone still in love with PM is probably going to be overwhelmed with InDesign.

If she’s interested she can learn a lot about InDesign with some of the videos on Lynda.com.

Bob

• 9. Re: Windows 7 fonts in Pagemaker 6.5
                          BigJohnD Level 3

I'm pretty sure the discounted upgrades from Pagemaker have now finished. 

Check here: http://www.adobe.com/products/pagemaker/

• 10. Re: Windows 7 fonts in Pagemaker 6.5

They were offered for 10 years. No, you can’t get them anymore.

Bob

• 11. Re: Windows 7 fonts in Pagemaker 6.5
                              BigJohnD Level 3

Bob Levine wrote:

They were offered for 10 years. No, you can’t get them anymore.

Ten years is a long time, plenty long enough to get the message!

• 12. Re: Windows 7 fonts in Pagemaker 6.5
                                Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

BigJohnD wrote:

Ten years is a long time, plenty long enough to get the message!

John, there are some who are just finding out...!

• 13. Re: Windows 7 fonts in Pagemaker 6.5
                                  BigJohnD Level 3

Certainly is. 

I had a quick look at the files on my PM6.5 disks, and they're dated between 1997 and 1999 - at least 13 years ago.

I suppose it's a minor miracle that PM6.5 actually installs and runs on Win7 64bit, albeit in a virtual system.  But to consider it to be sufficiently stable for any mainstream publications is a step too far.

• 14. Re: Windows 7 fonts in Pagemaker 6.5
                                    dwchu37

Had the same issue as you - need to copy the fonts from the Windows/fonts folder in Windows 7 to the Windows/fonts folder in XP virtual mode.  To access XP virtual mode, first close any programs you may have open in XP, such as Pagemaker, then open the file called "Windows XP mode" which you can do a search for on your computer.  Then open my computer/windows/fonts while in xp mode.  Paste any fonts from the Windows 7 fonts folder into this XP folder and voila, they can now be accessed by Pagemaker (I'm still using 6.5 and it works fine in XP mode.

• 15. Re: Windows 7 fonts in Pagemaker 6.5
                                      Jay Chevako Level 3

dwchu37 wrote:

Had the same issue as you - need to copy the fonts from the Windows/fonts folder in Windows 7 to the Windows/fonts folder in XP virtual mode.

Sounds reasonable

To access XP virtual mode, first close any programs you may have open in XP, such as Pagemaker, then open the file called "Windows XP mode" which you can do a search for on your computer.

If you want to acess xp mode I doubt you would have any programs open in XP

Then open my computer/windows/fonts while in xp mode.  Paste any fonts from the Windows 7 fonts folder into this XP folder and voila, they can now be accessed by Pagemaker (I'm still using 6.5 and it works fine in XP mode.

Pagemaker will have problems with open type fonts, only being able to access the first 256 characters of the font, so i would be careful of what fonts you copy over willy nilly.  If running pagemaker in XPmode actually works (I haven't tried it, but have heard many horror stories) then your best bet would be to reinstall your older (postscript ant or true type fonts) fonts from the disks they came on within XP mode itself.
                                      Jay