16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2012 11:26 PM by d3rpx3

Crossdomain restrictions

d3rpx3

I'm trying to make an app that will call out to two websites that I don't own, using HTTPService (and one of the websites I want to communicate via SSL). I read that Flash has some crossdomain restrictions on this, and that I'd have to have a crossdomain XML policy file on those domains to have my app be able to fetch information from them, but as stated I don't own the domains. I can't use a proxy either, because the site needs the actual user's IP logged and won't work otherwise. Is there a way I could have it connect? Even if it has to display a warning dialog for the user to click Agree on, that's ok.

Sorry if I sound like a retard, I'm fairly new to this and this is probably the second thing I've made and first thing made from scratch.

Regards

• 1. Re: Crossdomain restrictions
          Flex harUI Adobe Employee

What are you trying to get from those websites? I think you can get some things if you sandbox them.

• 2. Re: Crossdomain restrictions
            d3rpx3 Level 1

The websites my application have to access is:

My own, via HTTPS

reCAPTCHA to fetch a challenge string, via HTTPS

A separate website, via HTTP

My own, I can host any type of required policy file. I'd of course need help with what the policy file needs to include, though.

reCAPTCHA, I need to fetch a challenge string, which then is used to fetch the CAPTCHA (https://api.recaptcha.com/image?k=<challenge string> i think) and later I need to submit the answer there to check it.

A separate website, after I check the answer with reCAPTCHA it will give me a token which my application then needs to submit to that website.

All requests are currently through HTTP, I don't know how to communicate through HTTPS yet and need help with that.

With the separate website, it's a type of ranking website that needs all of the requests to it to be through unique IP addresses, and so I need the applet to send/receive data to/from that website directly from the user's computer.

reCAPTCHA checking involves submitting the value of $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] which reCAPTCHA checks to make sure is the IP address that requested the CAPTCHA, so I need the applet to send/receive data to/from that from the user's computer as well.

My own website, I can add any workaround on that as I want.

You may know, there's no hope of me getting Google to add a policy file or whatever onto reCAPTCHA without it going at least a few months of approval process and also there's no way I can use a proxy because then the IP logged is the proxy's IP rather than the user's IP.

Not sure what you mean by sandbox. I'm currently using HTTPService if that helps at all, it works fine locally but if I try HTTPS it won't work, and if I try loading it onto my website it will never load the CAPTCHA.

Regards.

• 3. Re: Crossdomain restrictions

I would think reCAPTCHA is used by html-based websites.  How would you do this from JavaScript?  If you can, that might shed light on what the rules are for Flex.  Have you verified that they have a restricted crossdomain.xml on the server?

If you can do what you want from JavaScript you might also be able to use ExternalInterface and get JavaScript to do the work.

• 4. Re: Crossdomain restrictions
                d3rpx3 Level 1

It is a HTML based website, I'm just using this application to check the CAPTCHA itself.

I can't do it in Javascript, needed to be done entirely in Flash. Besides, Javascript has cross-domain restrictions too.

The crossdomain.xml on reCAPTCHA is:

<?xml version="1.0"?><!DOCTYPE cross-domain-policy SYSTEM "http://www.macromedia.com/xml/dtds/cross-domain-policy.dtd"><cross-domain-policy><site-control permitted-cross-domain-policies="by-content-type" /></cross-domain-policy>

I have no idea what it means for me though.

The crossdomain.xml on the other website is nonexistant, and there's no way I can get them to add it, believe me I've tried something similar with it, a even smaller modification and it was turned down.

I'm ok with even a warning box saying "Are you sure you want to allow this to connect to http;//domain.com", it's a fully legitimate application and two legitimate websites, nothing shady.

Regards.

• 5. Re: Crossdomain restrictions

Why does it have to be entirely done in Flash?

Somehow, all of these other websites are using reCAPTCHA aren’t they?  Why don’t they have the same crossdomain.xml issue?

• 6. Re: Crossdomain restrictions
                    d3rpx3 Level 1

They're doing it entirely in Javascript or IFrames. The issue is, here, there is a requirement to validate the CAPTCHA on the client side and in order to do that I need to call out to reCAPTCHA.

Oh, and when they do it via Javascript that Javascript file is loaded from reCAPTCHA's domain.

It needs to be done entirely in Flash because obfuscated Flash is much more difficult to patch than obfuscated Javascript and the implementation I'm doing requires that tiny extra bit of security.

It's a very different implementation I'm doing.

Basically: It's a ranking site, I need a way to get a callback when the user votes. Some of these ranking sites do not provide a callback or even a "Vote success" message so I have to do this type of workaround.

• 7. Re: Crossdomain restrictions

Well, then you might be stuck.  It sounds like you want to provide high-security for your app while finding a way around someone else’s security.  There might be some other captcha provider with a SWF version.

• 8. Re: Crossdomain restrictions
                        d3rpx3 Level 1

So, no way, even if I were to have a security popup display or something?

• 9. Re: Crossdomain restrictions

It depends on what you are fetching.  If you’ve tried it and the request is denied, then there is no workaround to allow that request other than a proxy server.

There might be CAPTCHA vendors that do support SWFs.

• 10. Re: Crossdomain restrictions
                            d3rpx3 Level 1

Alright, so I get this error:

[RPC Fault faultString="Security error accessing url" faultCode="Channel.Security.Error" faultDetail="Destination: DefaultHTTP"]

at mx.rpc::AbstractInvoker/http://www.adobe.com/2006/flex/mx/internal::faultHandler()

at mx.rpc::Responder/fault()

at mx.rpc::AsyncRequest/fault()

at DirectHTTPMessageResponder/securityErrorHandler()

at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEventFunction()

at flash.events::EventDispatcher/dispatchEvent()

at flash.net::URLLoader/redirectEvent()

So even if like stated here (http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14213.html), "When placed on a server, it tells the Flash Player to allow direct access to data on that server, without prompting the user grant access." if I were to have a prompt show up, no way?

What would be the proper way to pass the requests to Javascript and get the results back then?

• 11. Re: Crossdomain restrictions

The server owner has locked you out, and Flash is not going to allow the end user to open the lock.

• 12. Re: Crossdomain restrictions
                                d3rpx3 Level 1

So there is no way at all for me to get that data via the browser, even if via Javascript or anything? Proxies won't work because then it'd always be my server's IP logged rather than the user's.

Heh. Would this application be impossible to make then, in this case?

• 13. Re: Crossdomain restrictions

You said that in a HTML/JS solution, there is JS hosted on their server you can use.  If you can find a way to use that with their permission, then you have a solution.  Basically, the provider has to provide the mechanism, you can’t force them, otherwise there would be no security.

• 14. Re: Crossdomain restrictions
                                    d3rpx3 Level 1

I thought the crossdomain thing was to prevent flash files from sending /localhost or /intranet_tradesecrets, not to prevent the usage of a public API.

So short of going to Google and making them update their crossdomain this is hopeless?

• 15. Re: Crossdomain restrictions

That is the primary reason, but the configuration is essentially the same.

A quick search showed that there might be some SWF-based CAPTCHA services, but I could be wrong about that.

• 16. Re: Crossdomain restrictions
                                        d3rpx3 Level 1

Well, I can't exactly control what CAPTCHA service someone else's website uses.