30 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2012 7:39 AM by bluzdawg

getting the wrong clips back from AE

bluzdawg Level 1

VERY confusing - i am sending clips to AE from a Premiere Proj, to stabilize it; it does it's thing, i save it, and go back to Pr, import it and drag it to the timeline - the clip turns out to be some OTHER clip - this is INTERMITTENT, and i  have tried all sorts of things to eliminate/trap the problem, including - starting AE fresh each time, actually closing it before doing the next clip, NOT saving it, and using just the clip [dynamically linked] and already showing up "pink" on the timeline in Pr,...arghhh...i am also fairly new with Premiere, so i'm likely skipping some simple step, although i'lve learned to find various workarounds on other software (avid).  While we're at it, i'd love to figure out how to stablize several clips at once, if that's possible.  

Not ALL the clips exhibit this strange behavior- some behave exactly as expected - they all seem to be about the same length, not having video fx on them, and deleting the audio track for the clip doesn't seem to make a difference either.  

• 1. Re: getting the wrong clips back from AE
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What does "saving" in you case mean? Do you actually render the results or are you using some sort of DynamicLink process? In the latter case there may be some things going on you haven't considered, but are perfectly normal. And no, you can't stabilize multiple clips at once, but assuming you are talking about the Warp Stabilizer, that is readily available in Premiere CS6, eliminating all the steps...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: getting the wrong clips back from AE
            Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Having read your other posts, I guess you are facing incremental naming issue with CS5.5 Dynamic Links.

See this thread from PrPro Forum to get better understanding of how things work.

• 3. Re: getting the wrong clips back from AE
              bluzdawg Level 1

I have been able to reproduce the problem (CS5.5).  here are the steps followed;

Pr proj = "ZOO" open project in Pr, right click on clip to and select "replace with

AE comp" - i then get a popup window (win document lib) where i can save the clip

- i name it MONKEYTEST, and it's saved as AEP project

AE project panel shows (1) 00046.mts with filmstrip icon, type "composition"

(2) 00046.mts with windows type icon showing filmstrip and a musical note (type MPEG),

and (3) ZOO Linked Comp 56

I select(dublclick)  the first listed [Asset] - is that correct term?, the preview panel

shows the clip; i select animation/stablize, and it processes.   Then i do a FILE/SAVE

- That is what i meant by "save"

Back in Pr, the clip appears on the timeline now colored Lilac - the video track only,

not the audio,and playback is smooth after rendering that work area. 

Now i go to a second clip down the line (00052)GORILLA , r click, replace with ae comp,

and in AE, the clip appears in the preview panel.  I do NOT get a 'save" window

on the way with this one.  The project panel shows the original 00046 clip, and also

the 00052.mts clip (GORILLA); i dubl click the preview panel, select animation/stabilize

and it processes.  this time i do NOT do a file/save in AE (is THIS the simple mistake?)

back in Pr, the clip appears in the timeline, in lilac, except for the audio. 

***HOWEVER*** now, the first clip (00046) has changed to ===ZOO linked clip 34.

with IT'S poster frame, and complete clip replacing what was a correct clip 00046. 

At this point, i go to media browser, find the AE proj MONKEYTEST, import it,

and then drag it from the project panel to the timeline.

AND THE CONFUSION continues...the poster frame is correct(MONKEY),

BUT the clip is now TIGER (although stablized nicely)

As an attempted  workaround, i have moved the imported clip 00046MonkeyTest.aep

from the proj panel to an outer track, and LATER on the timeline.   the poster frame

and clip appear normal as expected, and play correctly

If i dubl click the clip, put it in source monitor and attempt to insert it, OR use

overwrite(at the correct place on the timeline) , i return to the issue of correct

poster frame, and wrong video clip.

In the interim, i am again transiting the "workflow" and basics help tutorials,

as so kindly suggested by another member, but it appears that my issue is not addressed.  

thanks for any help on this one....

• 4. Re: getting the wrong clips back from AE
                bluzdawg Level 1

Fuzzy - i read and reread the reference you indicated, but it doesn't appear to cover the same issue

appreciate the response, though - i responded to Mylenium with a step by step report on

the results i was getting - maybe that would give a clue. 

• 5. Re: getting the wrong clips back from AE
                  Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Being honest, I don't follow all those 'double-clicking workflow' while building Dynamic Links...

When you start building Dynamic Links from PrPro by selecting a clip in the timeline and choosing 'Replace With After Effects Composition', After Effects automatically opens newly built composition, and there is no need to switch to AE Project panel and double-click that composition again...

Also there is no need to import your AE project into PrPro project one more time. When you choose 'Replace With After Effects Composition', PrPro creates new asset - dynamically linked composition - in Project panel and replace your original clip (a group of clips) with it in the timeline.

Since this dynamically linked comp apears in PrPro Project panel, you may treat it as an ordinary asset, including reusing in the timeline.

However, all the above could hardly explain all the mystics happen with substituting a clip with one you had never selected for replacing with AE composition... And personally I haven't lost any Dynamic Link since I've been rendering preview with 'Render Entire Work Area' command...

The only thing I can offer is to try cleaning Media Cash Database...

However, if you are on a deadline, render lossless intermediate out of AE instead of using Dynamic Links.

• 6. Re: getting the wrong clips back from AE
                    bluzdawg Level 1

Fuzzy - your explanation makes perfect sense, and is what i normally

experience when stablizing clips - i did suspect a corrupted index or

something of that sort, and will try cleaning out the "media cache" -

is that what you meant?    fortunately, the project is done, and

submitted, with only a couple clips not stablized - which, on

this job is not a major issue.  

• 7. Re: getting the wrong clips back from AE
                      Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Yes, I meant 'Media Cache'...

I guess, both After Effects and Premiere Pro are not designed for cleaning cash...

On the other hand...

Well, anyway... You may access Media Cache Database via either AE or PrPro.

Bear in mind, you can't remove cache files and indexes with the 'Clean' button for existing source files.

In case you need it, you may do it manually, however.

• 8. Re: getting the wrong clips back from AE
                        bluzdawg Level 1

Fuzzy~

OK, media cash laundered; not sure what that does exactly, and there

is no report on files deleted or anything.  Both folders (media cash, and

media cash files) appear to be the same size.  Everything i have is

stored on one drive, so there's nowhere else to go.   SO...i suppose

i could start deleting individual files?  there were about 57 "linked to

ZOOProj" comps in AE.  

Quite possible i missed the first five minutes of the movie (again) on

dynamic linking, where, it SEEMS as though AE wants to refer to

a single clip linked for stabilizing (or whatever) as a Project?  I've been

back and forth over lots of tutorials and have yet to find that specific

issue addressed, or I didn't see it because i was looking right at it.

HOWEVER, i'm still getting MOST of the clips linked back properly to

Pr, but not all of them. 

So, what if i were to simply delete all the files (from the media cache

and/or the media cache files - btw - is the one just an index for the

other?)  covering the range of dates that i worked on this specific project?  

would that be the next step in conservative treatment?

• 9. Re: getting the wrong clips back from AE
                          Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

First and foremost, do not waste the time trying to solve this issue by watching tutorials - they do not address such technical problems.

Your guess that files from Media Cache folder are indexes for ones from Media Cache Files folder sounds correct. If you open *.mcdb file with e.g. Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit, you'll find out that it's an XML-file containing references to items from Media Cache Files folder.

The same size of both folders looks just to be a special case.

OK, let's move further.

Start deleting files manually in whatever manner you want: sort by date and make selective deletion or delete all files at once.

Then open up PrPro and AE and let them reconform projects' items.

Then relink offline footages if necessary.

You may save back up copy of both folders prior to start experimenting.

• 10. Re: getting the wrong clips back from AE
                            bluzdawg Level 1

OK, i was watching tutorial files as was suggested by another forum

contributor, finding, indeed, that the issue was not addressed.

I tried the extend toolkit, and pointed to the MCDB files, and it appears

as expected, with reference to an actual media cache file.

the question, then, is do i somehow attempt to match up the references?

the simplest process would be just to delete by date.  

and now, another set of questions, since this MAY come up again...can

you tell me what is meant by the various file extensions,  the CFA is a

"conformed" asset?  and the PEK is a smally shaggy dog? 

I'll try a day/time deletion approach until things seem better.    

PS

The "same size" applied to each file, AFTER running the clean, not seemingy

changing size by any deletions; i'm not real sure what "cleaning" does;

iI wasn't  referring  to the two different files being of the same size.

• 11. Re: getting the wrong clips back from AE
                              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is almost certainly a workflow issue. Please go through the documentation on dynamic link. There are too many options but the workflow that I use most of the time is to select the clips in Premiere Pro that I want to turn into a dynamic linked AE project, right click and select open in New AE composition. AE opens, asks me to save the project, then I'm off and running. I keep AE open, select other clips which creates new AE comps in the same AE project.

For most of my long form projects I do not use dynamic link but instead follow a more traditional long form workflow using Premiere Pro to edit scenes together in separate timelines, selecting shots that need compositing in Premiere and copying and pasting them into AE for the compositing work, rendering out the composite and replacing the shot with rendered footage from AE, and then finalizing the edit in PPro by combining the scenes into a movie by adding the sequences into a final timeline. That's the traditional workflow on a feature film. Trying to do a long form complex project like a movie in a single timeline filled with dynamically linked AE projects is just asking for trouble, especially when it comes to tweaking the final story.

I hope this helps a bit.

• 12. Re: getting the wrong clips back from AE
                                Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Well, Rick, it doesn't sound a workflow issue for me.

Dynamic Links per se do contain some bugs.

Although I can't reproduce this particular 'magic', the issue itself looks quite similar to one with incremental naming, which, in turn, I can reproduce easily.

I'm also familiar with some more Dynamic Link 'features'...

However, I completely agree with the main point: keep things simple.

So, bluzdawg, I don't see the necessity to change data within particular mcdb file manually.

Just delete files and let PrPro and AE reconform projects' items. Then try to reproduce the issue.

If it's still there, do not rely on Dynamic Links, but render intermediate out of AE instead (or use Mocha instead of Warp Stabilizer).

Also see this thread from PrPro Forum about Dynamic Link workflow.

Pay attention to Todd's comments.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, both CFA and PEK files refer to cached audio files. Small shaggy dogs are IMS ones...

• 13. Re: getting the wrong clips back from AE
                                  bluzdawg Level 1

Rick - helps somewhat, by confirming my understanding of this workflow;

the documentation i've seen (so far) doesn't shed any light on problem,

although im NOT certain i have the workflow down as efficiently as

possible. 

the project is a 15 min shorty, with about 90 clips, on 3 tracks each vid

and audio, titles, stills, etc.  

The only use for AE and dynamic linking was to stablize clips (about 20

of them), which vary between 5-20 seconds.  

You mentioned right clicking on a clip and selecting "Open in New AE Project"

while im only seeing "replace with AE comp"......assuming they are the

same, but then we seem to be on different paths - this may be indeed

where i'm on the wrong trail with workflow

The way i understand it, after the stablization, the clip (In PP) has

ALREADY got the changes linked to it, and needs only be rendered.

I would, of course, SAVE the clip in AE, before returning to editing

in PP. 

It was unclear to me whether or not i needed to close AE at that time,

especially after getting some weird "returns".  

At this point, i'm deleting files in the MCDB, working backward

in time/days until things appear normal.  

Most of the clips turned out OK, just as expected, and slick as

a whistle,...which makes the voodoo clips all the more

frustrating.  

thanks for your post

• 14. Re: getting the wrong clips back from AE
                                    bluzdawg Level 1

fuzzy - i'll be readng this for awhile....

but, off on a shoot right now....

• 15. Re: getting the wrong clips back from AE
                                      Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

OK, let's clarify Dynamic Links building workflow.

You can start building dynamic links either from PrPro or from AE.

If you start from PrPro

1. Select a clip or a group of clips in the timeline you want to replace with AE composition

2. Right-click and choose 'Replace With After Effects Composition'

(If AE is not running, choosing 'Replace With After Effects Composition'' makes it run, and dialog box for saving AE project appears. After Effects creates a new composition, imports selected in PrPro timeline assets into AE project and automatically opens up that newly built composition.

If AE is already running, it creates a new composition within existing project)

3. Do your magic within AE

4. When you finish, just switch back to PrPro - all changes you've done should be automatically shown in the timeline (not to forget to render preview with 'Render Entire Work Area' command)

If you start from AE

1. Create your composition within AE

2. Switch to PrPro, choose 'File -> Adobe Dynamic Link -> Import After Effects Composition...'

3. Treat your dynamically linked AE comp as an ordinary asset

So as to set up efficient workflow for complex PrPro project do not rely on Dynamic Links only.

When you are back, see that thread in PrPro Forum, link to which I submitted in previous message (it's mainly about what Rick said, but in details).

Going to bed...

P.S. Forgot to mention: delete all project's render files before you start cleaning Media Cache. While cleaning Media Cache, delete files in both Media Cache and Media Cache Files folders.

• 16. Re: getting the wrong clips back from AE
                                        lasvideo Level 4

Buzdawg, which version of PrP and AE are you running? Is it CS 5.5 or 6?

If its CS 5.5, do yourself a favor and upgrade to CS6. Dynamic link is solid and you should not have any of these issues. Ive been using it for 6 months without this sort of problem. In 5.5 I battled it a lot and had to work around it.

• 17. Re: getting the wrong clips back from AE
                                          bluzdawg Level 1

lasvideo~

Running both PP and AE as 5.5 - thanks for the suggesting of upgrade,

but i've only had 5.5 for less than 3 months, purchased with a

student discount, the qualifiying student experience provided by

the local unemployment program, and with the limited resources of

a senior citizen, i can't afford to upgrade until Steven Speilberg

calls...or i sell lots of travelog videos. 

BTW, perhaps you could relate some of the workarounds you

used specific to my issue; that is, seemingly wrong clips appearing

in my timeline, which may be attributed to a corrupted index,

or an improper workflow.

• 18. Re: getting the wrong clips back from AE
                                            lasvideo Level 4

I suggest you search the PrP forum or just Google the subject. The dialog is lengthy and detailed and should resolve your problem when you find it. 

• 19. Re: getting the wrong clips back from AE
                                              bluzdawg Level 1

fuzzy~

I read and re-read the forum you referred to, paying special attention

"to Todd's comments" as you suggested, but it seems to be focused

on rendering times; which is not an issue with my problematic clips.

(most of the render in less than a minute) - i have also experimented

with reversing the field order on certain clips, not really knowing what

i had stepped into other than the result being entirely desireable, and

producind a clean (non jerky) preview.

Your QnD tutorial on DL is excellent, and is exactly the way i

understand it - the black box theory is applied; i don't care how

it works - it just does.   And simply enough - rightclick/stablize/

return to PP and continue with editing.  

There ARE a couple questions i have, though - and may be the cause

of the confused clips coming back....

even though you don't mention it, there is a "save" function in AE, and it's

not real clear to me if i should "save" the clip i just stablilized before

returning to PP.

but, larger than that is my incomplete understanding of the "project"

portion of AE projects.   My approach, to begin with, was to simply

rclick on a clip, repl w AE comp, stabilize, and, back in PP, continue

with next item down the timeline.   There is an element of AE exhibiting

"Linked comp #n", which increments, appearing in the project panel,

and timeline which causes some confusion - does AE somehow think

of each individual clip as an entire project, and then, the next clip

coming in as a piece of that project?   Or do i have that totally wrong?

Back in PP, each AE'd clip appear in Lilac (looks pink to me) and

is labeled, like "linked comp "n" - and the audio portion may or may NOT

be lilac, (as it stands now), and it will still have the original clip

label, such as 00055.MTS.

this is a 90 clip shorty 3 aud/3 vidtracks, some titles, and stills.  -

it was a zoo shoot, with clips labeled monkey, tiger, etc. 

and about half way thru is where the audio tracks also appear

in lilac, indicating that somehow those clip elements were also

"processed"  somehow, although stablilization would not apply.

i notice that the linked comp label includes a modifier, such as

linked comp #n/tiger or linkedcomp#n/giraffe.   whether or not

i do somethink like a J cut  for some audio purpose seems

to have no effect on the "weird" clip issue. 

Now that i examine it closely, the latest clip to cause concern

is NOT marked "linkedcomp#n", but IS labeled "..00046.MTS,

and displays the correct video in the program panel, but

incorrect poster frame on the timeline. 

As an update, i started deleting files in MCDB, and, of course,

did NOT delete render files first, as you later suggested.

but i did delete the render files afterward.   And as a clarification,

those render files are the ones that have names that seem

to be 32 bit assembler hex codes, ya? but not necessarily

areof  those rendered files, corrrect?

At this point, i'm not starting in projects in AE, so only need a portion

of your directions. 

I'm  attempting currently to work backward through the database

eliminating files until things change in the project.

• 20. Re: getting the wrong clips back from AE
                                                Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

As I mentioned earlier, Dynamic Links, and Dynamic Links CS5.5 in particular, possesses some 'hidden gems'.

Let's start from what Tom said. The talk is about this thread I fortunately overlooked last year.

If you store every single dynamically linked comp with Warp Stabilizerin separate AE projects, you are facing the same issue as the original poster there.

Although in most cases it's possible to store dynamically linked compositions in separate AE projects (moreover, it's possible to import AE CS5 composition into PrPro CS5.5 project via Adobe Dynamic Link), in case with Warp Stabilizer I seems can't make them work with my usual magic tools. At least today (despite all ongoing manipulations one of my previously created dynamically linked compositions that contains Warp Stabilizer within that same test PrPro project is shown correctly...) and at least by this moment. Maybe I lost my magic power...

Yes, when you finish stabilising a clip in AE you should save the project. Although it may not be necessary all the time, PrPro CS5.5 may delay refreshing its timeline.

Yes, standard name of dynamically linked comp contains a 'modifier', which references to both AE composition name and AE project name.

You are free to rename dynamically linked comps both in AE and PrPro.

Personally, I always give them meaning names.

Bear in mind, when you rename dynamically linked composition within AE project, that doesn't affect the name of the asset within PrPro project and vice versa. In PrPro you need (if you actually want) to rename the asset twice: one time in the timeline and another one time in Project panel (renaming assets in PrPro Project panel doesn't affect the names of the assets that are already in use).

Yes, with Dynamic Links you may replace either single clip or a group of clips in PrPro timeline. Irrespective of how many items you selected to replace with AE composition, the will be substituted with a single asset - that very lilac (or pink) one.

Yes, when you replace selected items with AE composition, video and audio tracks become unlinked, since AE is not designed to edit audio. In CS5.5 Suite Adobe Audition serves that purposes.

Regarding to AE compositions, projects etc., you definitely need to learn After Effects basics.

Start from here. See this help section about AE project and that one about compositions.

Regarding to Todd's comments, yes, they were about optimising Dynamic Link workflow rather than your particular issue.

• 21. Re: getting the wrong clips back from AE
                                                  Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Well, I made it work again. It seems just too late to be attentive and accurate from the first time...

ADL. Multiproject.jpg

• 22. Re: getting the wrong clips back from AE
                                                    bluzdawg Level 1

OK, i read the topic and find that #7 by Tclark513 is the only seeming

relevant answer - jjust keep AE open, and it' s going to automatically

keep track of the multiple comps from a single project.  

Since the last two clips worked as expected, and i seem to have

found some "shot in the dark" sorts of workarounds, maybe this

won't be so bad although i have a lot of footage coming up

that will probably need stabilizing.....which will give me more

chance to experiment.

• 23. Re: getting the wrong clips back from AE
                                                      bluzdawg Level 1

Not REAL sure what this is about,

(your screen print)

but it appears to be

a duplication of the problem i'm having - two clips showing

the same poster frame, and, probably the same video

clip ( a simple duplication) - i see the audio track has

ALSO gone lilac -

and i went through the initial AE intro and workflow

tutorial again - i understand now that the composition

panel is NOT called the preview panel, although

the description fits. 

The undocumented features in dynamic link seem to have

prompted a lot of posts - i'm sure there will be more.

and i'll continue to research the AE documentation, as the

need arises - i've only had PP for about 3 months, 

trying to transition from Avid, and keep production

going on various projects.   

At this point things seem a little more normal - at least

the audio clips haven't changed colors in PrPro, rendering

is fine...thanks for all your attention to this issue.

It may be simply deleting the render files and doing

a DB clean made the difference.   AND/OR deleting

that last day's mess...

• 24. Re: getting the wrong clips back from AE
                                                        Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                                                        Not REAL sure what this is about, (your screen print) it appears to be a duplication of the problem i'm having

Rather another one proof that it is possible to store dynamically linked compositions in different AE projects.

Have a look at another one:
                                                        ADL. Multiproject 02.jpg
                                                        Here I started from PrPro, selected 00339.MTS and chose 'Replace With After Effects Composition'. Named AE project as ADL. 00339. Warp Stabilizer, applied Warp Stabilizer, saved and closed AE project, switched back to PrPro and rendered preview for this dynamically linked composition with 'Render Entire Work Area' command. Then I accomplished the same things for 00340.MTS. The second AE project called ADL. 00340. Warp Stabilizer.
                                                        So that you can compare and contrast what is going on here, I placed original 00339.MTS and 00340.MTS clips in PrPro timeline again next to just built dynamically linked comps. As you can see, posters of original clips and their dynamically linked compositions coincide. Timeline is green, PrPro plays proper video, Dynamic Links were not got lost.
                                                        To sum up:
                                                        1. Storing dynamically linked compositions in a single AE project is not the one & only proper way of using CS5.5 Dynamic Links. It's possible to store them in different AE projects without having issues.
                                                        2. Do not use incremental numbers at the end of AE projects so as to avoid 'incremental naming issue', which causes weird Dynamic Links behaviour.
                                                        3. If you want to store dynamically linked comps in different AE projects, render timeline with 'Render Entire Work Area' command before replacing next clip in the timeline, which dynamically linked comp you want to store in another AE project.
                                                        UPD: Well, actually I don't loose Dynamic Links even without rendering preview by just avoiding incremental naming issue.
                                                        • 25. Re: getting the wrong clips back from AE
                                                          bluzdawg Level 1

Fuzzy~

Fuzzy_Barsik wrote:

Not REAL sure what this is about, (your screen print) it appears to be a duplication of the problem i'm having

Rather another one proof that it is possible to store dynamically linked compositions in different AE projects.

Have a look at another one:
                                                          ADL. Multiproject 02.jpg
                                                          Here I started from PrPro, selected 00339.MTS and chose 'Replace With After Effects Composition'. Named AE project as ADL. 00339. Warp Stabilizer, applied Warp Stabilizer, saved and closed AE project, switched back to PrPro and rendered preview for this dynamically linked composition with 'Render Entire Work Area' command. Then I accomplished the same things for 00340.MTS. The second AE project called ADL. 00340. Warp Stabilizer.
                                                          So that you can compare and contrast what is going on here, I placed original 00339.MTS and 00340.MTS clips in PrPro timeline again next to just built dynamically linked comps. As you can see, posters of original clips and their dynamically linked compositions coincide. Timeline is green, PrPro plays proper video, Dynamic Links were not got lost.
                                                          To sum up:
                                                          1. Storing dynamically linked compositions in a single AE project is not the one & only proper way of using CS5.5 Dynamic Links. It's possible to store them in different AE projects without having issues.
                                                          2. Do not use incremental numbers at the end of AE projects so as to avoid 'incremental naming issue', which causes weird Dynamic Links behaviour.
                                                          3. If you want to store dynamically linked comps in different AE projects, render timeline with 'Render Entire Work Area' command before replacing next clip in the timeline, which dynamically linked comp you want to store in another AE project.
                                                          UPD: Well, actually I don't loose Dynamic Links even without rendering preview by just avoiding incremental naming issue.
                                                          • 26. Re: getting the wrong clips back from AE
                                                            bluzdawg Level 1

bluzdawg wrote:

Fuzzy~

Fuzzy_Barsik wrote:

ADL. Multiproject 02.jpg
                                                            Here I started from PrPro, selected 00339.MTS and chose 'Replace With After Effects Composition'. Named AE project as ADL. 00339. Warp Stabilizer, applied Warp Stabilizer, saved and closed AE project, switched back to PrPro and rendered preview for this dynamically linked composition with 'Render Entire Work Area' command.

Please bear with me on this - if i repeat the fundamentals,

it solidifies the process, and i really only had about a one

hour class on this, out of a 48 hour course.

you say "save and closed AE project", back to PrPro, rendered w REWA...

so can we work with this portion? ... here's the process:

i select 00022,repl w AE comp,

i name it "intropenguin", and the AE project panel shows

three items; 00022.mts, film icon, type comp in at 00:00 and out at 00:29

...which doesn't seem to correspond to anything,

with the panel portion above the item listing showing 1440X1280 (1.33),

and i find nothing anywhere explaining THAT.

the next item being

00022.mts, with the windows icon for a file containing a miniature musical note

on white background - can't really see what that is there..size 73meg,

type mpeg,(the subclip i'm using), makes sense there,

and item three

film clip icon, ZOOSHOOT linkedcomp61, type comp, in

at 00:00 and out at 14:13 (the entire project is 14:13) - ok with that.

note:  the original clip (00022) is 1920X1080 and is 15 seconds long

The incremental ZOOSHOTlinked# makes perfect sense as an index

and tracking mechanism for the entire project.

I click on item one, and the timeline panel indicator changes from

sandstone to aqua, and when i double  click on IT, the composition panel

now displays the time ruler, and various other icons, as expected.

Then i click animation/stabilize and AE processes the clip. Back In PrPro

the clip has turned lilac, it still shows the AEWARPSTABILIZER "blue

stripe" across the center horizontally, the render bar is yellow, the

poster frame is correct, and POOF, the BigApe is on the video,

NOT the intropenguin, and NOW, also POOF, the render bar is green

all by itself.  hmmmmm.

wait, first i go back to AE, and save it - NO JOY....PrPro still has

wrong clip. So..i CLOSE AE - PrPro is not affected.

so, i have reproduced the problem, with no solution in sight....

is it actually a dynamic link issue, or am i NOT following the

workflow correctly?    or some other thing completely?

misled in minneapolis....

A "Note" - the hard-to-identify icon (windows style) is a film

clip with colorful hot air baloons center on a white page

with a blue musical eighth note superimposed southeast

a bit...

AND, it seems if i click on THAT item, i now get it to work

properly - which would indicate the problem is with workflow

HOWEVER, i still find no documentation that clearly

explains which of the items ( I suppose it's obvious to the

experienced) to click on, since the stabilizer seems to do

it's job and then confuse the DL, even if you click the

wrong icon/asset. 

• 27. Re: getting the wrong clips back from AE
                                                              Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
                                                              ... is it actually a dynamic link issue, or am i NOT following the workflow correctly?

It's both...

It took ages before I realised which third item in AE Project panel you'd been talking about...

The upper and the bigger one, which 'doesn't correspond to anything', is a preview of a selected item in Project panel.

00022.MTS is your source footage, which you replaced with AE composition in PrPro timeline.

'Film clip icon' is a composition.

From here I strongly advise you to proceed through AE basics.

This short 6 minute tutorial from Todd will give you basic workflow and terminology overview.

... and POOF, the BigApe is on the video, NOT the intropenguin, and NOW, also POOF, the render bar is green all by itself...

As far as I understand, it indicates that you already have somewhere another one dynamically linked composition for BigApe with rendered preview.

Please, spend some time on learning PrPro and AE basics so that we are able to communicate more efficiently...

• 28. Re: getting the wrong clips back from AE
                                                                bluzdawg Level 1

Fuzzy - just to let you know i appreciate all the time you've spent with me

on this, and the insights you've provided.

I have once again watched Todd's video, rewinding frequently and taking

notes.  The summary at the end makes perfect sense, although

a good portion of it seems not to be applicable to the DL/WarpStab

situation.

1.  projects hold footage items.   check.  there's no mention of the 3    

items that appear in the project panel, but you cleared that up

2.  compositions hold layers.  and it seems a stablilization would    

involve a single layer, correct?

3.  EACH layer is based on footage items.   check but NA?

4.  Layers have modifiable properties. check - like stabilizing?

5.  Keyframes can be applied to mods - check, but NA?

6.  FX can be added to modified items.   check, but NA?

7.  Render and export comps to create output files.  check but NA?  (DL)

I also went through the tutorial on creating a new composition,

which worked fine - i may use my floating name on a title somewhere,

and it's a great intro to all the fun things than can be done with AE

As a practical matter, stabilizing is all i really need to do with AE

right now- and the Warp Stabilizer was a major selling point of PrPro,

and though i'd love to play with all the other toys in AE, i need to

get these projects done.

Since I've had mostly (75%?) good results with DL and WS in AE,

it seems as though i must have most of the workflow correct,

i'll attempt to document my steps as more consistently as

i proceed until i find a better return on this. 

Again, thanks for all the time and effort.   I'll certainly let you

know if i start batting 1000 on this.

• 29. Re: getting the wrong clips back from AE
                                                                  Fuzzy Barsik Level 4

Don't get too concentrated on your particular issue at the moment.

As I told you before, watching tutorials doesn't help you with your certain problem.

However, knowing underlying principles the software operates will let you localise you issue and understand how to overcome it with your current skills.

As we also already told you, if you are on a deadline, render your composition with lossless intermediate out of AE instead of relying on Dynamic Links. When you have time, dig (or dive) deeper. At that point reread this thread once again, since it contains all the information you need to cope with your issue with Dynamic Links and advance your skills of dealing with Dynamic Links per se. If some specific questions remain, do not hesitate to ask in both AE and PrPro Forums.

• 30. Re: getting the wrong clips back from AE
                                                                    bluzdawg Level 1

Fuzzy_Barsik wrote:

Don't get too concentrated on your particular issue at the moment.

...As I told you before, watching tutorials doesn't help you with your certain problem...

...render your composition with lossless intermediate out of AE instead of relying on Dynamic Links.
                                                                    ...reread this thread once again, since it contains all the information you need
                                                                    ...do not hesitate to ask in both AE and PrPro Forums.

Check check check check and check.  Getting a little OCD over the DL issue -

cuz it "bugs" me - did  you see what i did there?

...and watching tutorials - as you suggested - and also said to NOT do -

is SOMEwhat helpful - an analogy i use is that baseball teams that

win the world series don't practice triple plays - they practice pitching

and hitting.   i.e..lets put the "fun" in fundamentals.  

...rendering in AE instead of DL dependence is an EXCELLENT workaround

- may get to batting 1000 on WS clips fairly easily...

....per your suggestion, which i was reminded of (as i re-read this thread)...

...will definitely research these forums as issues arise...as a matter of fact,

i ran across another issue that i may post regarding duplicate sequences

in encore...