Here are my current specs:

i7-920 2.66

8 GB RAM

GTX 285

Windows Vista 64 (Home)

CS 5.5

7200 RPM HDD

Using only AVCHD clips

So, I previously had CS4 and I had overall a bad experience...I had poor preview playback, and encoding took forever and the encoded videos even had problems (they were skipping just like the preview most of the time). CPU load was always at 100% across all cores. I dealt with it for years, but finally decided to upgrade to CS5.5 (MERCURY PLAYBACK ENGINE is enabled) a while back and it works A LOT better. During previews I rarely have skipping, but during exports I still have stuttering sometimes on the completed file.

What I am doing is making short music videos...4-8 minutes long, with 4-8 simultaneous clips running.

I have been reading all the info on the site for about a week now, and understand a lot more now than I did before, but still a little confused on which of the computer component aspects will help for export vs preview playback. I have some money to upgrade, but want to make a smart choice to help...most importantly I don't want to have stuttered playback on exported videos (obviously, those videos are ruined!)

I was thinking to upgrade my video card to GTX 670 or 680, but I don't think that will help with export? How about a RAM upgrade to 16 GB or 24 GB? I would have to upgrade my version of Windows to vista pro or ultimate to support the larger RAM, but I am not sure whether more RAM equates to improved export?? My CPU seems to be taking quite a load through all of this, but upgrading my CPU I think will be the most expensive option.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

• 1. Re: Upgrade for export improvement
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Several weaknesses in your system:

8 GB RAM

7200 RPM HDD

On this platform you need either 12 or 24 GB RAM. Using only 8 GB means that you do not have 3 or 6 sticks installed and thus you lose the triple channel mode of the memory. The second line sounds like singular and you need at least three separate 7200 RPM disks for practical editing. Start with these items and leave your video card as it is.

• 2. Re: Upgrade for export improvement
            Jim_Simon Level 8

New hardware is not likely to help with export stutter.  That is more likely caused by a settings error or a player error than anything else.

• 3. Re: Upgrade for export improvement
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Some general comments

You might double check the system requirements for your version... I am not sure if Vista 64 is officially supported

Only one hard drive MAY be your problem... you should have at least 2 hard drives... 1 for Windows and all software, and a separate drive (NEVER a partition) for video files

I edit AVCHD to go to DVD and have great output... read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694

My 3 hard drives for video editing are configured as...

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and ALL program installs (2)

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 paging swap file and video project files

When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,

so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folders and files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (1)

(1) for faster input/output with 4 drives

- use drive 3 for all source files

- use drive 4 for all output files

(2) only 60Gig used, for Win7 & CS5 MC & MS Office & other smaller programs

Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows paging swap file

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

The GTX 285 is just fine... and, as you surmise, does nothing much for export

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/02/red-yellow-and-green-render-bars.html

What are you exporting to?

• 4. Re: Upgrade for export improvement
                dxfish5 Level 1

Thanks everyone for the responses!

So, first to Harm, yes I have 4 x 2GB RAM installed. I will upgrade the RAM to 24 likely in the next week or so.

As far as the hard drive...hmm, well I have a ton of hard drives, but mostly external which I use to get data off for backup or that I just don't need. I do only have 1 internal drive. So, from what you said and from what John said, it sounds advisable to increase the drives? Is it just internal drives we are talking here? I have an eSATA connection on this computer which I use to send my unneeded files to my back up drive. (I have 3 1TB drives and the 1 internal 1 TB drive.) I never have more than 300GB used on the internal drive. So, in this case will the additional drives John Smith mentioned be helpful? Also, is it recommended for them to be internal drives vs external? Even with the eSATA connection, and the seemingly fast transfer rate, I do believe I notice delay with the eSATA connection compared to an internal drive.

I have been exporting to 1080p, which maybe is overkill since most of these vids end up on youtube, but I want to export to best quality

• 5. Re: Upgrade for export improvement
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

YouTube can show 1080p, so it's not necessarily overkill.

• 6. Re: Upgrade for export improvement

I have never used eSata, so can't comment on any delay

My 3 Sata drives are all internal... spreading the workload over 3 drives works very well for me

I use USB externals only for backup... FAR too slow for editing

• 7. Re: Upgrade for export improvement
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

You have to keep in mind that SATA and eSATA are half duplex connections, which means that you can only read at one time and write at another time You can't read and write at the same time. During export there is a lot of reading source material, rendering for export, writing, then reading, then writing, while at the same time the OS does its housekeeping, keeping up events, logs, writing to the pagefile, reading from the pagefile etc. There is a lot of traffic during export. Compare it to a road where only a single lane is available for traffic and there are traffic lights on both sides of that single lane stretch. Traffic can only flow in one direction at a time. When the lights change, traffic from the other direction can drive along that stretch while the traffic from the opposite direction waits. The more traffic there is, the longer the waiting times. That is what happens in your case.

Your mobo probably has 6 or even more SATA connections internally and SATA or eSATA are the fastest connections so I suggest you use internal disks on those SATA ports. These are much faster than externals over FW and specially USB2.

Also see Adobe Forums: Generic Guideline for Disk Setup

• 8. Re: Upgrade for export improvement
                        Jeff Bellune Level 5

[moved to hardware forum]

• 9. Re: Upgrade for export improvement
                          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

John T Smith wrote:

The GTX 285 is just fine... and, as you surmise, does nothing much for export

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/02/red-yellow-and-gree n-render-bars.html

What are you exporting to?

John, I have to disagree with your blanket statement.  While it is true that the encoding is done only with the CPU there are many, many video effects and features that if used shorten encoding times significantly.  This user has not said what effects he has used but there is one feature that he definitely using "frame rate differences" in his going from interlaced to progreessive.  I have seen 14:1 time reductions on heavy effect encoding, scaling with and without GPU (and that is with my overclocked i7-980X at 4.2 GHz).

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

• 10. Re: Upgrade for export improvement

Grin... I bow to the expert

• 11. Re: Upgrade for export improvement
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

John,

Another thing to consider is not only frame blending is CUDA accelerated, but also scaling and since a lot of people ingest HD material, but export to DVD format, then scaling plays a major role. That is why we see significant improvements on the MPEG2-DVD test in our benchmark when hardware MPE is on.

But the OP has more pressing needs than exchanging the 285 for a 670/680, which will only marginally improve performance, and that is memory and disks. That will have a sizeable impact on performance.

• 12. Re: Upgrade for export improvement
                                dxfish5 Level 1

Thanks again everyone for all the help!

I think I've got most of it sorted out thanks to all of you...actually I had several problems which each of you addressed. One thing I didn't even realize, that shows my naivity on video editing (I am an audio guy!), is that I have in fact been setting up my sequences in the wrong format. Thanks to Jim Simon for pointing that out...I have been using 29.97 fps source and had it set to 25 fps in all my projects (I know, kind of stupid, but I didn't know enough about the settings until I just watched a Adobe video yesterday). So, I imagine that will make a difference, not sure how big.

One question I have in regards to that, is whether there is a way to take all my saved projects that are "set up" wrong, and import them somehow into a new project that is set up with the correct fps setting? I know you can't just change it in the existing project to my knowledge...I really don't want to start from scratch if possible? Any ideas?

Anyhow, I am going to follow the other people's advice as well: about the hard drives...I'm going to move to the 3 internal drive set up recommended above. I ordered 2 additional drives from newegg. Also going to increase RAM...I was mistaken about my version of Vista 64...I have home premium (it is CS 5.5 compatible), but it will only support 16 GB. From what I have read it is a pain to upgrade to ultimate, so I'm gonna stick with what I have, but upgrade the RAM. I am debating of updating to 12GB (3x4GB) or 24GB, because 24GB only 16 will be usable. Honestly, I'm not sure what that will mean...will windows recognize the 24 and only allow 16, how will that effect the triple channel RAM usage, will it make it dual channel? Haha, don't bother answering those questions, that is just my thought process.

I will report back once I have a chance to test some of these things, but if someone knows a way to correct the sequence settings that would be helpful. I would like to test how big of a difference that will make with some of my existing projects. I am thinking that the conversion from 29.97 to 25 is taxing the CPU.

Thanks!

• 13. Re: Upgrade for export improvement
                                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

First create the new sequence in the project with the correct settings. Then make sure you have the same amount of video and audio tracks from the sequence you want to copy from. Go to that sequence after you match the amount of tracks and click somewhere in the timeline. Then hit Control A and then Control C. Then go to the new Sequence that is empty and hit Control V. After that is done it's normally best to clear cache. You do this by switching to Software MPE mode and delete Preview Cache. Then switch back to hardware MPE mode and Clear cache again.

Eric

ADK