7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2012 1:56 PM by bluzdawg

AE workflow

bluzdawg Level 1

since i'm getting no response on my post re: wrong clips coming out of AE, let's try this one:

what is the proper workflow ?  step by step would help here -  

part of the problem is that AE makes reference to "lilnked clip 56 (or whatever number); not sure what

that is about, but i am able to get a clip stablized properly.  BUT - back in premiere it seems that

SOMETIMES the clip i get "returned" is NOT the one i stablized.   hopefully this is a simple 3 step

process and i'm just missing something simple.   the project with the problems is done now, so i have

a chance to get this right the first time, since i have about 500G of raw footage which will need

stablizing. 

Thanks for any advice on this...

• 1. Re: AE workflow
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

Dude, you have no flippin' clue what you're doing.  You're totally lost.  You're trying to use AE like it's a word processor or something.  It's not.  It's one of the most complicated, yet rewarding applications on the planet, and you ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY MUST LEARN THE BASICS.       All you've done so far is to jump into the deep end of the pool, and you're wearing lead weights.  You understand?

So start here.

If you don't, you'll experience a world of hurt, and that would be a shame.

• 2. Re: AE workflow
            bluzdawg Level 1

DUDE,

i guess the simple humble question i asked IS "what ARE the basics" - appreciate your answer, if not your flippin' deskside manner.  

Lighten up on a new member, ya?

I am aware that the software is highly complex, but i have managed to stay afloat and produce good results in most instances which completely

nullifies your comment that i'm totally lost.   As far as saying i'm trying to use AE like a word processor, i guess you've come up with an analogy

that YOU understand, but are unable, or unwilling to share in any constructive way.    With over 1300 posts to your name, it would seem like

you would have a lot to offer other than what comes across as simple arrogance.  

Thanks for letting me rant, i will now pursue the link you sent.  

• 3. Re: AE workflow
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Just click on the link above and get busy, okay?

• 4. Re: AE workflow
                bogiesan Level 4

>

bluzdawg wrote:

since i'm getting no response on my post re: wrong clips coming out of AE, let's try this one:

what is the proper workflow ?  step by step would help here - 

Later:

DUDE,

i guess the simple humble question i asked IS "what ARE the basics" - appreciate your answer, if not your flippin' deskside manner. 

Lighten up on a new member, ya?

And yet in your post you try to imply that we've somehow let you down.

LaRonde deosn't suffer newbies much, he's our BS filter.

AE is a freakin' HUGE application and we see daily posts from newbies who, for some reason, expect the application to work without effort. Learning to use AE fluently takes years. Learning the basics takes a few weeks — or at least a few dozen hours — of careful study. Not because it's a difficult program but because it's subtle and capable of so much.

Open the tutorials, search for more, try to be very specific when you're asking questions because we're not looking over your shoulder, and, above all, be patient with us because we're here to help you on our schedules, not yours.

• 5. Re: AE workflow
                  bluzdawg Level 1

bogiesan - thanks for the clarification on LaRonde; i was sort of getting

that figured out  --I'm not so sure that my issue is with AE at all, but rather

the dynamic link portion of it.I was able to reproduce the issue and

laid out those steps in another post.  I am aware that AE is way huge

beyond what i've seen; the only part of it that i require right now is the

stabilizer, which does what it's supposed to, but i'm getting some

confusing results.     I'm certainly willing to be patient with all you

there, and appreciate the time it takes to respond, especially with

a helpful answer.   Continually looping through the tutorials has

so far not resolved the issue i'm having - that's why i'm on the

forum.   so far it appears that other members have confirmed

my thinking about the dynamic link, and NOT ae as the problem

area.  My question regarding the "basics" was not so much

directed at the operation of AE, but an attempt to "real-time"

troubleshoot - i.e., is it AE or Pr or somewhere between.

As an insight, i was through a 15 lesson group course, which

hardly gave enough training in AE (maybe one hour?) to be

able to access it, much less implement it correctly - the

fact that most of my use of part of it has been successful

only increases the frustration of not knowing what i'm doing

wrong when i get unexpected results.   And i see from one

response, and reference to another discussion that there

appears to be some difference of opinion on exactly

what the cause is; or even the problem for that matter.

Thanks for your update - i'm sure this can get resolved;

i look forward to years of fun with this powerful software.

• 6. Re: AE workflow
                    bogiesan Level 4

bluzdawg wrote:

bogiesan - thanks for the clarification on LaRonde; i was sort of getting

that figured out  --I'm not so sure that my issue is with AE at all, but rather

the dynamic link portion of it.

Mr LaRonde's value around here, as a contributor and an interface enhancement system for we the forum's regulars, cannot be underestimated.

Sorry about the Dynamic Link issues. I do not even have any idea what that is since I am using CS5, with no plans to upgrade soon, and I use FCP as my editing platform.

• 7. Re: AE workflow
                      bluzdawg Level 1

I appreciate your response, and i assure you i mean no disrespect to Mr. LaRonde -

and i can understand, as an instructor in a different arena, the need for an

"interface enchancement system" - and i'm sure i didn't do a very good

job of explaining my issue, (which was difficult to articulate, since the issue

was intermittent and inconsistent.)  And which now appears to be unrelated to AE

I will continue to pore over the tutorials (seems i learn something new every time)

and hopefully find the dynamic link issues adressed somewhere.