8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2012 10:10 PM by ThePetal

32 bit alpha channel output possible in Elements?

stevelake11

I need to output 32 bit alpha channel to create walk on videos (where the website is visible behind the spokesperson). This is a single point solution I need and it appears this is NOT possilbe from some of the other past threads I read. Do I have to go to Pro or can Elements do this now? - Steve

• 1. Re: 32 bit alpha channel output possible in Elements?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Unless Alpha Channel output support has been added in PrE 10, it is not possible. Now, PrPro can create "sprites" in FLV (the most common sprite format for the Web), but not PrE.

You can also create the Alpha Channel and output it, in Adobe Flash. Might be other programs too, but I use PrPro, so have never looked into others.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: 32 bit alpha channel output possible in Elements?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As Bill says, Premiere Elements can not output video with an alpha channel.

• 3. Re: 32 bit alpha channel output possible in Elements?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Thank you for that confirmation. I did not think that PrE10 had added FLV's with Transparency.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 4. Re: 32 bit alpha channel output possible in Elements?
                ThePetal Level 1

It is possible to output a video file with an alpha channel in Premiere Elements 10 and I assume the same should apply to PE9.

Firstly, to qualify, my project settings are for DV PAL widescreen and I am making a video clip with transparency that I can then re-import to my project to use as an overlay. I have tried a number of methods and, although it is possible to create an AVI file with a 32 bit alpha channel, I cannot get the file to be rendered at a suitable pixel aspect ratio so I won't even go into that here.

The only method that has worked for me, and I found gives a good result, is as follows:-

1. Under the Share tab, select Computer
                2. Scroll down the available formats at the top and choose Quicktime
                3. Click the down arrow in Presets and choose the preset to match your project settings. (In my case PALDV16:9)
                4. Click on the Advanced button.
                5. Un-tick Export Audio if you only want a video file
                6. Under Video Codec, click on the down arrow and choose Animation
                7. Under the Video tab, twirl down the arrow next to Basic Settings and scroll down to the Depth options.
                8. Select a Depth of 32 bit and click OK
                9. Now you will be given an option of naming your new preset. I suggest you give it a descriptive name  such as widescreen 32bit and click OK
                10. Check the option to Share Work Area Bar Only if appropriate and then click on Save at the bottom right of the Share window.
                11. Once the video file has been saved, click on the Project tab, click on Get Media, and use it in your project.

Hope that this helps and I would like to know if anyone has any other suggestions or methods they might like to share.

• 5. Re: 32 bit alpha channel output possible in Elements?
                  Robert J. Johnston Level 2

Don't know about Windows 7, but on XP with Premiere Elements 10 32-bit, you can do these:

You can go Share > Quicktime > Advanced Settings, and select JPEG 2000 for the codec, then scroll down and select 32-bit.

And you can go Share > AVI > Advanced Settings, then select "None" for the codec and scroll down and select 32-bit.

If you try using these in Sony Vegas, you may have open the properties window for the clip in question, and change the Alpha settting to "Straight." Sometimes it defaults to "None" even though there is an alpha channel.

• 6. Re: 32 bit alpha channel output possible in Elements?
                    ThePetal Level 1

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the feedback. The Quicktime output with the JPEG 2000 codec worked well and looked as good in the preview as when I chose Animation.

However, with the AVI options you suggested, I still found that while producing a file with a 32 bit alpha channel I was not getting the result I  wanted. I finally realised that even though I chose the video aspect ratio of PALD1/DV PAL Widescreen 16:9 (1.4587) in the Export options,the file was rendering as PAL Standard (1.0940). This is obviously a bug in the program.

For those working with PAL widescreen the workaround is to:-

• Import the rendered file
                    • right click on the file in the project panel and select "Interpret Footage...."
                    • under Pixel Aspect Ratio check Conform to and select PALD1/DV PAL Widescreen 16:9 (1.4587) 

Now that I have discovered this, I will use the AVI  route as the resultant file has less compression (238mb compared to the 7mb and 1.7 mb Quicktime files) and therefore is clearly of a much higher quality for video editing. Quicktime  should really only be used for emails or files on the web.

Also the AVI file can be imported into other programs, but will of course need the file aspect ration re-interpretted in that program as well.)

• 7. Re: 32 bit alpha channel output possible in Elements?
                      Robert J. Johnston Level 2

Hi ThePetal,

When you output to "none AVI, you need to remember that pixels have a square, 1.0, aspect ratio. So you need to calculate what the dimensions are in square pixels and put that in the Advanced Settings. So you would need either 1024x576, or 853x480, or 720x405. Also change the pixel aspect ratio setting to 1.0 in Advanced Settings, although I don't think it will have any effect.

• 8. Re: 32 bit alpha channel output possible in Elements?
                        ThePetal Level 1

Hi Robert,

And thanks again for your help.

I feel very silly as I have  just realised that to export an AVI file in Premiere Elements 10 with transparency, which is what I was attempting to do, is really quite easy. 

All that needs to be done is to choose AVI, the usual preset you would choose without transparency, and then click on the Advanced button where you can choose None for the Video Codec and then 32 bit for the Depth.

There does seem to be one little bug in the program that is easy to get around. When I attempt to save the file with the DV PAL widescreen (par 1.4587) settings, I end up with a standard aspect ratio (par 1.0940)

To fix this, after  importing the file, right click on it in the project pane and select “Interpret Footage…”  and check “Conform to: D1/DV PAL Widescreen 16:9 (1.4587)” (This may or may not be necessary with other presets.)

You now have a PAL DV video file with a transparent background and a widescreen aspect ratio.

Not nearly as complex as I was trying to make it.