6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2012 11:09 PM by Benhut1

Making episode based DVD in Premiere Elements?

Benhut1 Level 1

Sorry, but this isn't a Photoshop Elements question, but there's no Premiere Elements section.

I notice all the DVD templates are for movies, that is they have a play movie button that plays ALL scenes, and then a scene menu separate scene menue that allows you to start the movie from specific scenes.

I want a way of making an episode based DVD, where there is no single play button on the main menu, nor is there a scene menu, but intead is a series of buttons on the main menu each of which plays a separate video, and each video played stops at the end of that video, and does not procede to play any of the others. I would actually like to make it replay a given video when it gets to the end (allowing for indefinite running of a particular video), instead of stopping and going back to the main menu.

If it is possible to do this in Adobe Premiere Elements, please let me know. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Making episode based DVD in Premiere Elements?
          Barbara B. Level 7

moving to premiere elements

• 2. Re: Making episode based DVD in Premiere Elements?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that Barbara was able to move this thread over to the PrE Forum - Welcome.

Unfortunately, PrE has limited authoring capabilities. It works for the vast majority of users, and for the vast majority of their Projects, but for what you want, you will need a full-featured authoring application, like Sony's DVD Architect. It allows for much more custimization (within the DVD-specs., of course), and will be just right for such a Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Making episode based DVD in Premiere Elements?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

From another thread:

Steve Grisetti, our tireless MOD here, who has also written a book on DVD Architect, said:

You can see DVD Architect Studio demonstrated in my tutorials along the left side of this page.

http://Muvipix.com/dvdas5.php

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Making episode based DVD in Premiere Elements?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Thanks for the plug, Bill.

And, for the record, I am frequently VERY tired.

• 5. Re: Making episode based DVD in Premiere Elements?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

And, for the record, I am frequently VERY tired.

As I can well imagine. Thanks for all that you do.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Making episode based DVD in Premiere Elements?
                    Benhut1 Level 1

Thanks guys for your help. However I discovered that I don't need to buy new software to accomplish this. I found that there a powerful customization technique I can use for fully editing the DVD menus in an Adobe Premier Elements DVD menu template/preset.

I discovered that the DVD menu templates, while not editable in Premiere Elements, can in fact be edited in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, as they are just PSD files. The names of the buttons are layer groups and the specific naming conventions of the layers tell Premiere Elements how to handle them. For example, any button who's graphics are in a layer group who's name starts with "(+^)" is a button that takes you back to the first page of the Main Menu (the quotes aren't actually part of the layer name, so remember when customizing the buttons in Photoshop, to not use those quotes, I just used them to demark the text that appears in the layer name). Any layer group with a name that starts with "(+*)" corresponds to a button that starts playing a video at a Main Menu Marker on the timeline. Any layer group who's name starts with "(+-)" corresponds to a button that causes playing of the movie starting at the first frame (and removal of this makes the DVD behave just like a DVD with a series of TV episodes). Any layer group who's name starts with "(++)" corresponds to a button that goes to the scenes menu (which of course contains buttons that start playing a movie starting at a Scene Marker. And "(+>)" and "(+<)" correspond to buttons on the main menu that navigate go forward and backward through pages of the main menu (or if they appear in the Scenes Menu then they navigate forward and backward through pages of the scenes menu).