6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2012 10:07 AM by medeamajic

Once again folks. Why is XP supported for CS6 but Vista is not?

medeamajic Level 2

Just so everyone knows I understand that XP will not work with the 64 bit programs. I read the tech specs before I made my first post but it got locked down yet my questions remains unanswered. Can anyone explain why there is XP support for The Master Collection and the Cloud but no Vista support? Why won't Vista work? Does anyone know?  Can anyone from Adobe let me know why Vista will not work for CS 6? Has anyone tried using the Cloud with Vista? Any info would help. I almost got the upgrade till I read about the lack of Vista support. Maybe I will have to finally buy Windows 7 Ultimate. I have the home version of 7 but I did not plan on using it for my NLE OS.

• 1. Re: Once again folks. Why is XP supported for CS6 but Vista is not?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

The answer has alreay been given, but I'll try again to explain it to you:

1. Vista can run in XP mode and then all 32 bit applications can be used under Vista.

2. PR, AE, EN and SG require Win7-64 (or for SG only, Win7-32).

Why use Vista? It is old, outdated, not half as good as Win7, slower, less stable, etc.

When new software is developed, it is customary to certify it for an OS that is used currently by the vast majority of users, not for something that most people have left behind for some years. I haven't heard you complain about the fact that MS-DOS 6.22 is not among the supported OS.

• 2. Re: Once again folks. Why is XP supported for CS6 but Vista is not?
            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

When new software is developed, it is customary to certify it for an OS that is used currently by the vast majority of users, not for something that most people have left behind for some years. I haven't heard you complain about the fact that MS-DOS 6.22 is not among the supported OS.

XP is older than Vista, and yet XP is explicitly supported while Vista is not.  I don't know why.  It could be something as simple as a typographical error, or there may be very good technical reasons for it.

Jeff

• 3. Re: Once again folks. Why is XP supported for CS6 but Vista is not?
              medeamajic Level 2

Harm lets get this straight. You accused me of reading things wrong in the last thread but I was infact right. XP is supported. You stated XP was not supported. Once you knew you were wrong  all you did was restate what I said, that the 64 bit programs will not work with XP but the rest of the Cloud and Master Collection Programs will work. I need to run the 64 bit version of AE and Premiere. They work just fine using Vista with CS 5.5. Infact Vista works better for me than Windows 7. I know it is protocal to support the current OS but they are indeed supporting XP which is even older than Vista.  There may be a good reason why the Cloud will not work with Vista but it is obvious you don't know the answer. Just for the record Harm I have a version of Vista Ultimate. I don't have over 16 GB of RAM as of now but I was going to upgrade the RAM. Having said that it sounds like I will have to spend money upgrading to Windows 7 Ultimate as well if I want to use 32 GB of RAM. I'd prefer not to have to spend money on the Windows 7 Ultimate OS.

[Personal comments deleted]

• 4. Re: Once again folks. Why is XP supported for CS6 but Vista is not?
                medeamajic Level 2

Jeff,  Thanks for your reply. I don't understand why XP is supported but I can not use my Vista Ultimate. It make no sense to me either considering Vista worked great with CS 5.5 :  )

• 5. Re: Once again folks. Why is XP supported for CS6 but Vista is not?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Ultimate versions are a waste of money on an NLE machine. Only Pro versions are advisable. Who needs bitlocker functionality or HTC capability or multi-language support?

You post in the PR forum, there is no XP support for PR or AE or EN. EOS. If you want to have dual boot capability, go ahead. If you want Vista support for 32 bit applications, ask that in a 32 bit application forum. Vista is supported using the XP compatibility mode for 32 bit applications (jeez, this is the third time I tell you that) but is completely irrelevant on this forum. Again, ask that in the AU, DW, IL, PL forum if you want.

I really don't understand why you are so attached to Vista with all its problems, when you know you need a 64 bit OS for AE, EN and PR and then complicate matters even further by trying a dual boot solution for 32 bit applications. You lose a lot of functionality like edit in AU, send to SG, DL in that way. Are you intentionally trying to reduce the MC functionality?

Have you tried running PR and AE under Vista-64? Does it work? If yes, then go ahead. If not, then upgrading to Win7-64 is the only sensible option.

• 6. Re: Once again folks. Why is XP supported for CS6 but Vista is not?
                    medeamajic Level 2

I was able to get Vista 64 bit Ultimate after it was discontinued it for $95.00 :  )

Premiere works great with Vista 64 bit Ultimate so why should I have to use my Windows 7 Home Edition?

I think I am just going to try the Cloud and see if it downloads to Vista. If not then I will get Windows 7 Ultimate or mabe just Windows 7 Professional. I thought the Adobe staff might say why Windows 7 and XP will work with The Cloud and why Vista will not. I would rather spend my money on more RAM than MS Windows 7 :  (