7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2012 8:50 PM by JJMack

Photoshop CS5 / CS6

sootymann Level 1

Is there a way to transfer from CS5 to CS6  Presets and  plugins

• 1. Re: Photoshop CS5 / CS6
          Level 5

You should UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES copy, transfer or migrate any plug-ins from CS5 to CS6.  All Adobe plug-ins will be installed by CS6 in the appropriate location, out of your sight and reach, by CS6.

Do not point the application to an "Additional Plug-in Folder" containing older plug-ins.

Install all 3rd party plug-ins from fresh, updated copies provided by the vendor and only through their installer or as prescribed by the vendor.

Failure to follow these rules will result in CS6 being broken.  Bad idea.

Presets may or may not work, depending on the new features built into CS6. 

• 2. Re: Photoshop CS5 / CS6
            sootymann Level 1

Thanks for help

Is this the same presets

• 3. Re: Photoshop CS5 / CS6
              Level 7

Presets can be migrated -- you can start with the migration script that runs the first time you launch CS6, or manually from the Edit -> Presets menu.

• 4. Re: Photoshop CS5 / CS6
                JJMack Most Valuable Participant

station_two wrote:

You should UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES copy, transfer or migrate any plug-ins from CS5 to CS6.  All Adobe plug-ins will be installed by CS6 in the appropriate location, out of your sight and reach, by CS6.

Do not point the application to an "Additional Plug-in Folder" containing older plug-ins.

Install all 3rd party plug-ins from fresh, updated copies provided by the vendor and only through their installer or as prescribed by the vendor.

Failure to follow these rules will result in CS6 being broken.  Bad idea.

Presets may or may not work, depending on the new features built into CS6. 

Why I had no problem pointing CS6 to my Photoshop Additional Plug-in folder. The plugins I tried seemed to work wothout problem. I will admit I did not do extensive testing for I had so many other problems with CS6 I went back to using CS3. I'm waiting for Adobe to release an update to addrsess the problems I have with Floating windows, the Action Player, the action writer and Photoshop Script feature for Photoshop preference interpolation.  As it is now CS6 is not useable for me I just wasted an other $200. 

• 5. Re: Photoshop CS5 / CS6
                  Curt Y Level 7

Saw one comment that this is more of a Mac issue than Windows.

• 6. Re: Photoshop CS5 / CS6
                    Level 5

JJMack wrote:

...Why I had no problem pointing CS6 to my Photoshop Additional Plug-in folder. ...I had so many other problems with CS6 I went back to using CS3...

JJMack,

The problems resulting from pointing to an older folder affect the application itself, not just the behavior of the plug-ins themsleves, to the point of breaking the application.

There's no way now of determining how many of the problems you were having that led you to abandon CS6 were caused by your pointing to that old folder, of course...

• 7. Re: Photoshop CS5 / CS6
                      JJMack Most Valuable Participant

I use a PC and have the problems with and withoit the additional plug-in folder.  The Additional Plug-in folder preference seems to work as designed on a PC. It been pointed out your issue is more of a Mac issue then a PC.  There are problems in CS6 Action Player, Action Recorder and Scripting features which has no connection to any plugin. And a bad bug if you preferences is set to use floting windows on a PC  not a problem on a MAC. Go read the feedback web site for problems http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/problems/recent