9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2012 4:45 PM by JJMack

Placed Images Blurred

EmpireStateBldg

Hello,

When placing images in photoshop (CS6), their quality is diminished such that they are too blurry to edit. They're high quality photographs and scans... What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Placed Images Blurred
          Curt Y Level 7

Howare you bringing images into PS?  There should be no change.

Suspect images are a lot lower quality than you think.

Are you using Apple I photo?  THey hide their images in packets and you open just the thumbnail in PS.

• 2. Re: Placed Images Blurred
            EmpireStateBldg Level 1

Hmm, no, the images are large. Huge, in fact. And when I transform them so that they'll fit the page (8.5 x 11) they deteriorate. Incidentally, when I "open" an image (again, they're huge), they look fine. It's just when they're shrunk to fit the page...

• 3. Re: Placed Images Blurred
              Curt Y Level 7

How are you shrinking them?

If you open Image/Image Size what is the size in height and width in pixels?

In same box to you have resample on or off?  Resample can cause a reduction in sharpness, but usually in making image larger.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Placed Images Blurred
                EmpireStateBldg Level 1

I'm transforming them.

612 x 792 pixels. 2 x 3 inches.

Resampling being on or off doesn't seem to be making any difference...

I'm reading that there's no way to distort shrunk photos in photoshop -- that they must be resized in illustrator first...

• 5. Re: Placed Images Blurred
                  Curt Y Level 7

Is 612 X 792  pixels the start or finish size?  That is really a small image.

A normal image is closer to 3000 x 2000 pixels.

Photoshop works fine for resizing images. 

Are you just making a smaller size by typing in a new dimension?

• 6. Re: Placed Images Blurred
                    EmpireStateBldg Level 1

Okay, so when I "open" an image, it's at 4600 x 3400, roughly. When I "place" an image onto an 8.5 x 11" page, it has many fewer pixels. When I try to transform an image that I "open" so that it'll fit on an 8.5 x 11 inch page, it deteriorates.

• 7. Re: Placed Images Blurred
                      EmpireStateBldg Level 1

Re-dimensioning worked! Thanks much for your help!

• 8. Re: Placed Images Blurred
                        Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

Chris Cox said something I was not completely up to speed with in a recent post.  When an image is Placed, it tries to respect the size of that image, so not only its pixel size, but its DPI is going to make a difference.  personally, I would always make sure I was aware of the relative pixel dimensions of image elements, to avoid having to upsize introduced elements, which generally ruins your composite.

• 9. Re: Placed Images Blurred
                          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

EmpireStateBldg wrote:

Hello,

When placing images in photoshop (CS6), their quality is diminished such that they are too blurry to edit. They're high quality photographs and scans... What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

The first ting to do it chect to see if the image you placed is a large high quality image. To check this you need to edit the layers embedded smart object. To edit it you need to open the layers palette and the double click on the placed layers smart object icon. When you do that Photoshop will open the embedded Smart object as a new work document that you can work on. If You save your work Photoshop will update the embedded smart object in your document. With the smart oject open and Phtoshop'scurrent  activedocument use Image Size to check that the object is large and not a small resized image.

Note Photoshop by default will resize your image smart object to fit within your document using your default interpolation Photoshop preference setting. There is a transform associated with every smart object...