8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2012 1:28 AM by benson-2

Laptops & CS6

HelpPetePlease

I am employing an Instructional Designer and have asked them about software they would need. One of the products they requested was CS6, which I can see the value in as we intend to use videos. I asked our IT Department for guidance on a suitable laptop as the person will need mobility (looks & robustness of the laptop not important). I have been advised that of the adobe products the person will use (flash, photoshop, illustrator & premier) it is the video editing that will be the main requirement for laptop specifications. The amount of video editing work the person will do is definately less than 5% of thier job and the videos would eb less than 5 min in length each. I have no idea about hardware as such am looking for guidance.

Our IT Deprtmant suggested ther laptop below. Can anyone tell me whether they would expect this laptop would provide an acceptable level of performance? I dont expect the laptop to be super fast, but I dont want it to be 'annoyingly' slow when working. Thanks.

HP 6560b i7-2620M 4GB memory 500 15.6" W7

Kingston memory - 4 GB - SO DIMM 204-pin - DDR3 (x 3, total 16GB)

• 1. Re: Laptops & CS6
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I know I would not be happy doing any Premiere editing on it.  It is customizable but:

1. The basic unit does not meet Adobe's minimum screen requirements, it need the upgraded display resolution
          2. The processors are only dual cores, personally I would want a hyperthreaded quad core CPU
          3. It is available with two disk drives as required by Adobe as the bare minimum.
          4. It is not available with nVidia CUDA graphics which really would slow editing.
          5. This does not make sense "Kingston memory - 4 GB - SO DIMM 204-pin - DDR3 (x 3, total 16GB)" , from what I can see the maximum memory is two modules.
          • 2. Re: Laptops & CS6
            HelpPetePlease Level 1

Thanks for that Bill.

I had my suspicions too (hence checkign here). I asked them for other options and they gave me the one below. Does that sound any better? Could you suggest an HP laptop that you think I should keep as my minimum requirement.

HP 2560P - CORE i7-640lm 2.13GHz, 4GB 1333MHz RAM (1x4GB), 250GB SATA HDD, 12.1" WXGA LED screen, DVD+/-RW, Win7 Pro 32/64 bit

They said the same about the Kingston Memory and said they could upgrade the graphics card.

• 3. Re: Laptops & CS6
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Some ideas for a Laptop Video Editing PC from past discussions

http://www.sagernotebook.com/

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/957472

http://www.adkvideoediting.com/

For effective HD video editing, a laptop with the following

-at least the Intel sandy bridge 2720 or 2820 quad processor

-and nvidia graphics preferably the 460m, 485m is a bit much

-1280x900 display with OpenGL 2.0-compatible graphics card

-and 8 or 16 gig ram and Win7 64bit Pro

-and 2 internal 7200 HDDs minimum

• 4. Re: Laptops & CS6
                JEShort01 Level 4

Pete,

Running CS6 on laptops is tough but it can be done. The IT spec. is way off from what most users would find accepable for editing formats like AVCHD.

What is the format that will be edited (SD, AVCHD, other?).

Also, do you have a budget figure in mind?

Also, is it essential that your use a laptop? (CS6 likes PCs with 3 or more drives - 1 for OS and 2 more for CS6)

Regards,

Jim

• 5. Re: Laptops & CS6
                  RjL190365 Level 4

That one is even worse than the laptop that the IT department originally specified for the following reasons:

1) The screen is even smaller than the originally-specified laptop.

2) That laptop does not offer a discrete GPU at all - even at astronomical additional cost. It is available only with the integrated Intel graphics.

And as many people stated, Premiere Pro in any version (even older versions) will not display correctly on any monitor with a vertical screen resolution of less than 900 pixels: Critical portions of the work area will be completely cut off, with absolutely no way at all whatsoever to recover it. And depending on the version of Premiere Pro, pre-CS4 requires a 1280x1024 display resolution while CS4 and later requires a 1280x900 display resolution. Unfortunately, both of those laptops do not offer displays higher than 1366x768 (that's correct: none of the screens offered on those two models have a vertical resolution higher than 768 pixels).

In addition, neither of those two laptops offer CPUs with more than two physical cores. And as I stated in several other threads, no PC with a dual-core CPU, not even the very fastest of the desktop models, performs as fast in Premiere as a PC with even a mediocre-performing quad-core CPU. And despite the "i7" branding on the mobile CPUs offered in these two laptops, those particular mobile i7s are merely mobile i5s with a little more L3 cache (all mobile i5 CPUs are only dual-core with hyperthreading).

Oh, did I mention that neither of those two laptops offer an NVIDIA CUDA GPU at all whatsoever even at extra cost?

With all of those drawbacks combined, don't expect either laptop to perform as fast as even a five-year-old Core 2 Quad desktop with a mediocre-performing CUDA GPU.

• 6. Re: Laptops & CS6
                    Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Randall, the HP 6560B model in a custom configuration does just squeak by with an optional 1600 x 900 screen.

But I do not know of any HP laptop currently has the features we consider essential for "happy" editing

• 7. Re: Laptops & CS6
                      RjL190365 Level 4

Oh, Bill, I did overlook that.

And yes, if any current HP laptop offers an NVIDIA GPU, such a GPU tends to be of the low-end variety that's so slow that one might as well permanently lock Premiere to the MPE software-only mode.

• 8. Re: Laptops & CS6
                        benson-2 Level 1

I purchased the Alienware M14xR2 for myself for video editing. and besides feeling a bit ridiculous walking around with a "gaming" laptop, it runs CS6 very well (PP, AE, ID, and PS). I've been very pleased with the computer. I did however take out the optical drive and put in a second HDD. This little 14" laptop can hold an mSATA drive (available in up to 252GB if you order seperatly and install yourself) and two HDD's if you take out the optical drive. It has a fast Ivy bridge quad core processor, and an NVIDA GT 650M GPU (384 CUDA cores). I think it runs PP very well, I can't complain at all. If memory serves, the base model is $1299, if you want a decent editing machine a few upgrades are needed, but adding a second HDD and upgradeing to 16GB of RAM is quite affordable if you (or your IT department) ordered the parts and did it yourself. As a bonus, it's also very portable (meaning it's relativly small and has good battery life), which can't be said of most laptops that are capable of editing.

My only caution is that I had a horrible experience with customer service. It took Dell 47 days to fill the order... I was not happy with that.

As far as I can tell there aren't a lot of otions out there for laptops that can edit. Basically it seems you're stuck ordering one of the computers mentioned earlier (Sager et al.) or a MBP. I can't handle the size and ludicrously short battery life of the Sager and ADK machines, and I can't stomach the price tag of the MBP. The M14x seemed like a good compromise between the two options.