1 2 Previous Next 56 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2013 3:08 PM by aitnit Go to original post
      • 40. Re: CS6 applications only work in admin accounts
        Carlos1327 Level 1

I am not using OS X server, Workgroup manager, or Open/Active directory to manage these machines. The accounts are local on each machine (not OD/AD accounts).  

Take any single Mac running OS X. Create an admin and a managed account. None of the CS 6 applications work on the managed account. So how did you fix this on the local machines? Your solution seems to be using workgroup manager yet you mentioned that you are doing this locally. That seems to be a contradiction since Workgroup manager requires OS X server in which case you are not doing this on the local machine.

Am I still missing something?

Two distinct situations:

1. Problem on a stand-alone machine managed locally with an admin/managed account.

2. Machines managed with OS X server.

Thanks for the help.

• 41. Re: CS6 applications only work in admin accounts
          bboc01

Carlos 1327 -

While I am in a testing sequence on one iMac with WorkGroup Manager, I am still using PC on the others.  But I had to go to Mountain Lion to do it.  I did a previous post describing how I did it.  I have 24 units being used by students successfully.  At 20 bucks per unit, it was an unexpected expense, but it worked.

• 42. Re: CS6 applications only work in admin accounts
            bboc01 Level 1

psko -

It took me a while to figure out what you were getting at, but it seems an elegant solution with WorkGroup Manager.  I want to try it because I can't another app to work the way I am doing it.  Thanks for your input.

• 43. Re: CS6 applications only work in admin accounts
              psko

"I am not using OS X server, Workgroup manager, or Open/Active directory to manage these machines. The accounts are local on each machine (not OD/AD accounts). Am I still missing something? That seems to be a contradiction since Workgroup manager requires OS X server in which case you are not doing this on the local machine. Am I still missing something?"

As I have said, I am not using an OS X server or Open/Active Directory to manage these machines either. Again, do not overcomplicate this. A lazy admin is the best admin!

Below, managed, non admin, local account:

Users.gif

Below, 10.6.8:

About This Mac.gif

Below, no AD/OD using only local management.

NO AD OR OD.gif

"It took me a while to figure out what you were getting at, but it seems an elegant solution with WorkGroup Manager. I want to try it..."

Try it out, but remember this method is deprecated in Mountain Lion. I mention this if you have mixed OSes in your environment, and want to try this for another application. Best of luck!

1 person found this helpful
              • 44. Re: CS6 applications only work in admin accounts
                SimonGCFE

HI bboc01

Thanks for the suggestion but this would be a nightmare for me as we have potenailly a whole college of users and to do what you suggest would to days!

I still don't have it working and still have the problem on a brand new iMac that i just received running Mountain Lion  with a clean install of CS6.

In response to Psko's post I have already whitelisted in WGM both adobe_licutil apps, (which rest in the P6 & LWA folders in Utilities/Adobe application manager/) and also the folders they rest in just in case anything further up was restricting it and still no joy.

• 45. Re: CS6 applications only work in admin accounts
                  SimonGCFE Level 1

Hi Psko

I must say i'm confused too as your image seems to be from WGM?

If your not using WGM where is the image from and are you just administrating all your machines locally then?

Thanks

• 46. Re: CS6 applications only work in admin accounts
                    Carlos1327 Level 1

Simon: Directory Utility: HD > System > Library > CoreServices > Directory Utility

Psko: thanks for the potential solution. I'll try it sometime later this week (too busy to try it right now) and I'll post my results.

bboc01: We have an Avid media server that only works with SL 10.6.8, so we cannot upgrade until we get a new Avid system (>$50K, not happening anytime soon). So we have no choice but to stick with SL.

• 47. Re: CS6 applications only work in admin accounts
                      SimonGCFE Level 1

Hi Carlos1327

Thanks for your response but the image I was refering to was the 09:07 post not the 12:55 post which is from Directory Utility

• 48. Re: CS6 applications only work in admin accounts
                        Carlos1327 Level 1

Sorry about that.  Wrong image:

"If your not using WGM where is the image from and are you just administrating all your machines locally then?"

Yes. Download Workgroup Manager from here. I have not tried Psko's suggestions yet and frankly, I do not know how Workgroup manager can be used without OS X server (to manage the machine it is installed on). I'll have to mess around with it when I have time to see how/if I can follow Psko's suggestions.

• 49. Re: CS6 applications only work in admin accounts
                          SimonGCFE Level 1

Just thought I would update the forum, I think I have managed to sort the problem all be it a work around!

Just to re cap after whitelisting both adobe_licutil apps, (one in Utilities/Adobe Application Manager/LWA and one in the P6 folder in the same location) I would still get the message that 'don't permission to use adobe_licutil app'!

So thought I'd amend the file name of one of them and add an '_1' at the end of the name.  I then removed both of them from WGM preferences >applications and then put them back i.e. re whitelisting them. I should point out that I had whitelisted them in different users groups so there wasn't a clash as they orginally had the same name.

The strange thing was that when I re whitelisted them even though I had amended the file name of one of the apps both of them were still lablled adobe_licutil, but I'm aware that WGM doesn't always display everthing as it should!

I logged in as a test student, (managed network AD user), opened photoshop and hey presto I had access to the application. Also tried Premiere and After Effects and both opened ok although I had to whitelist I think a couple of other things it said I didn't have permission for when I opened Premiere but did that and all seemed fine.

Hope this helps others

1 person found this helpful
                          • 50. Re: CS6 applications only work in admin accounts
                            Carlos1327 Level 1

Hi Simon and Psko:

I've looked at psko's and Simon's most recent post suggesting a possible solution to the admin/privilege problems associated with Adobe CS 6. I'm trying to use WGM without OS X server. I've installed WGM on one of our computers, but I have not been able to follow your instructions with any success. For example, our iMacs (managed locally with Remote Desktop, not managed with OS X server or AD) have one admin account and a managed account named "student".

Are these the steps to your solution:

1. Install WGM on the admin account.
                            2. Use WGM to whitelist:
                            • /Applications/
                            • /Library/
                            • whitelist both adobe_licutil apps, (one in Utilities/Adobe Application Manager/LWA and one in the P6 folder in the same location)
                            • /Applications/Utilities/Adobe\ Application\ Manager/P6/adobe_licutil.app
                            • /Applications/Utilities/Adobe\ Application\ Manager/LWA/adobe_licutil.app

2. amend the file name of one of the adobe_licutil apps and add an '_1' at the end of the name.  Which one did you amend?

3. Remove both adobe_licutil apps from WGM preferences > applications and then put them back i.e. re whitelisting them. (I should point out that I had whitelisted them in different users groups so there wasn't a clash as they originally had the same name.)

What am I doing wrong? Are managing your computers with AD or did you install WGM on a standalone computer (as I'm attempting to do).

Would you mind proving more detailed, step by step instructions if you have the time?

This would allow me to replicate your solution and provide it on the forums for others.

Thank you.

• 51. Re: CS6 applications only work in admin accounts
                              wiredaire

Hi, could you help me, did you get this issues resolved.

10.6 server

Workgroup manager

i have whitelisted:

/Applications/

/Applications/Utilities/

/library/

i have restrict application at launch apart from:

adobe_licutil ( i have done as suggested i renamed one of the adobe_licutil files, and no resolve - in my workgroup manager only one ever shows up even though i add it)

CS5servicemanager.app

dynamiclinkmanager

dynamiclinkmanager.app

Illustrator CS6

10.8 - user machine wiht workgroup manager turned on and restirctions applied as above

i have tested - with admin prvidedges

does not open, with or without them

if i remove workgroup manager from the equation

if i give the mobile users admin privledges, illustrator opens

if i take away admin privledges, illustrator does not open.

So

workgroup manager turned on

Mobile user with admin privledges on 10.8 system

"You dont have permission to use the application"

i know when you are working through an issue and you resolve it you dont come back and post because you are relieved its over and move on.

• 52. Re: CS6 applications only work in admin accounts
                                bboc01 Level 1

Hi wiredaire -

I am still getting emailed on posts on this one.  I know that when I went to 10.8, the things worked, BUT.............. I was using Parental Controls. 

Later I updated the server to 10.8 (another learning experience), and then started using Workgroup manager.  The documentation I found online said that a 10.6 server could not do 10.8 clients.  That may just have applied to Software Updates, but who knows?

The upgrade to 10.8 costs $20.00 and the Server App costs $20.00, so it seems like the best way for you to go.  Just a little more work and time to get there.  And I don't use a whitelist or any other restrictions on CS6 at all so I can't gaurantee that it will all work just the way you want.

• 53. Re: CS6 applications only work in admin accounts
                                  wiredaire Level 1

I bet you are still getting emails, there will be a 100 people that read this and only one posts. So when you installed 10.8 server the issues went away?

I really apprecaite your fast response.

have a safe and happy day

• 54. Re: CS6 applications only work in admin accounts
                                    emaybee

I upgraded a 10.6.8 computer to 10.8, made sure any instances of adobe_licutil, Adobe Application Manager and AAM Updates Notifier were allowed in Parental Controls. Then I created an image using DeployStudio and deployed it to 40 macs.

Everything is working fine so far.

• 55. Re: CS6 applications only work in admin accounts
                                      bboc01 Level 1

Hi again wiredaire -

I remember doing those Adobe files during testing.  I suppose I did them while still using Parental Controls, but it would have been to twenty-five machines because I haven't been cloning any iMac's.

• 56. Re: CS6 applications only work in admin accounts
                                        aitnit

I wanted to chime in as another institution that has been dealing with this issue.  I think this is a larger issue as many do not post.  Luckily I have the capability to upgrade our OS and I will ascertain if our net users(OD) can utilize this app once I have upgraded the OS.

Another option I have ( that we have had to do in another lab ) that I would prefer not to impliment is to auto login an admin profile and the install deep freeze ontop of it.  This would allow an admin profile while insuring system stability.  Obviously the down side is no data is saved on the machine after a reboot.  Students loose projects etc.

1 2 Previous Next