3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2012 1:06 PM by Peter Spier

Making Templates

vw_jason79

Is there a way to make templates for magazine page layouts that can be saved and reused in new projects(new issues)? I am familiar with using master pages to do page numbers and title pages but is there a way to place text boxes and image boxes to a save-able templates for future use? If so, how do I do that? Thank you.  

• 1. Re: Making Templates
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Create your file with all of the elements you want to re-use, including master pages, styles, and swatches, then File > Save AS ... and change the type to Template in the dropdown in the dialog.

The only difference between a regular file and a template is the file extension and the way that affects the default opening behavior (templates open as an untitled copy by default so you don't accidentally change or overwrite them). You can convert existing files from docs to templates, or vice versa, by changing the extension.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Making Templates
            vw_jason79 Level 1

Will I be able to save the templates as individual pages with the ability to drop them in as needed in a new project? Or will this save the entire project as a template and I would have to go in and move pages around, having to add and delete pages saved in the full template. I hope that made sense, I just about confused myself trying to ask the question.

• 3. Re: Making Templates
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Wahtever you build as far as the layout, that's what you'll get. You can savr a one-page template with as many different master pages as you like in it, though. They don't all have to be in use.