5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2012 3:43 AM by alexRES

AVCHD blown highlights in AE and Premiere Pro CS6

alexRES

Hi Guys,

I have the NEX 5n and Premiere Pro CS6 on Windows 7 Workstation.

It seems as if Premiere is geting the 0-255 16-235 Levels kind of wrong. AVCHD files of all kinds have clipped highlights when exposure on the NEX or any other camcorder is set spot on before clipping.

In PP cs6 and cs5.5 you can just bring all the Information that is above 1.0 in the waveform down with any 32 bit Filter that deals with Levels. But it schouldnt be up there above 1.0 in the first place or am I wrong?

This also applies to the Canon XA10 camcorder

clipped whites:

[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/az9fm.jpg[/IMG]

Levels adjusted with 32 bit Filter in PP = No clipping in highlights

[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/ofrl86.jpg[/IMG]

In AfterEffects its different: You would have to work the whole AE Project in 32 bit to be able to save the clipped detail in the whites. If you work in 8bit (which is standard ae project) then AE will just cut off all the info above 1.0.

But the question is: Is Adobe getting it wrong in the second consecutive Version of PP that is supposed to deal nativly with AVCHD? Or why do highlights that are not clipped on any AVCHD camcorder, appear as clipped in PP cs5.5 and cs6

Even the opensource FFDSHOW codec gets it spot on when played with mpclassic (as Andrew Reid from EOSHD.com stated and I also can confirm this)

Also when I connect the nex 5n with hdmi to my Plasma everything plays just fine no clipping at all!

• 1. Re: AVCHD blown highlights in AE and Premiere Pro CS6
          shooternz Level 6

when exposure on the NEX or any other camcorder is set spot on

Are you saying the waveform on the camera is displaying the same image differently  to the wfm in PPRO?  I would be surprised if that were the case.

That paper kind of looks very "hot" and it doesnt surprise me what the wfm is showing here.

FWIW: I extensively monitor my AVCHD by using level, gray and color  cards in my shots.  The wfms in the camera, monitor and PPRO always correspond.

Try shooting a color chart and also checkout .some color bars generated by your camera.

• 2. Re: AVCHD blown highlights in AE and Premiere Pro CS6
            alexRES Level 1

Yes, this is what I am saying. There is also an article on eoshd regarding this matter. but the author (Andrew Reid) thinks that this is only the case with Apple workstations I can confirm that I get the same results in Windows!

http://www.eoshd.com/content/8076/how-mac-osx-still-screws-your-gh2-fs100-nex-footage-a-mu st-read

• 3. Re: AVCHD blown highlights in AE and Premiere Pro CS6
              alexRES Level 1

Now I installed Trial of Sony Vegas 11 pro and it displays the video correctly no clipping like in PPro. But the waveform looks just like in PPro and there is a check mark in vegas called (studio 16-235) when I uncheck it then the whole information is Displayed below 1.0 but the image does not change obv. Its just a different scale. So I am right its Adobe that masses up the Highlights.

• 4. Re: AVCHD blown highlights in AE and Premiere Pro CS6
                shooternz Level 6

Some observations.

Your waveform is not clipping.  (Clipping is displayed as a flat line in a WFM).  The screen grab display is showing a super white but no clipping.

To me ...the newspaper is "overexposed" and I would have exposed it at around 90-95%.

I am wondering how you determined "spot on" exposure in the NEX5n which does not have a WFM as far as I can see.  Neither does a GH2 or the Canon.

• 5. Re: AVCHD blown highlights in AE and Premiere Pro CS6
                  alexRES Level 1

Hi,

well by spot on I mean that if I exposed a litle more It would have clipped according to the histogram of the nex5n.

While I might be wrong about the waveform in PPro because its the same in Vegas Pro 11,  the image displayed at the and in PPro is def. clipped and the image in Vegas Pro is perfectly fine and basicly the same as played trough HDMI directly from the NEX to a TV, NOT clipped.

It seems that PPro correctly reads the waveform values but cuts everything bove 1.0 when rendered and played. So far the Programs that do it right are Vegas pro, the internal player of the nex5n and mp classic with ffdshow codec!