5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2012 8:20 AM by EliotHarper

Separating content from presentation

EliotHarper

Hello all, I'm currently evaluating WCMS options (including Adobe CQ) for a large client who needs a WCMS for managing products and marketing campaigns.

At first glance, CQ appears to be a WCMS on steroids. The technology stack is well considered and scalable, which provides a good building block for web content management. Furthermore, I'm impressed with its campaign management capabilities. All very promising.

However, my concern on it's suitability lies with it's content architecture. Here's the issue I'm looking solve: my client offers many different products (hardware and software) and services. For each of these products and services, they publish marketing collateral to:

1. The Internet (their website)
      2. Their Intranet
      3. A product brochure (pdf)
      4. A range brochure (pdf of related products)
      5. Sell sheet (2 page pdf with product overview and features)

Their problem (and I'm sure one shared by many others) is that if a product changes, for example a new feature is added, the content has to be updated in five separate places.

What I'm looking for is a single-source publishing solution where content is authored and controlled (for example workflow review and approval) in a central repository, then versioned and published to different formats (for example, a sell sheet would not include all detailed technical specifications).

I was hoping CQ would step up to this challenge of offering a CMS that where I can publish product content to the website and Intranet, while also creating versioned content (through API integration with InDesign Server). After all, Adobe provide cross-media publishing solutions...

However, CQ appears to break away from the classic MVC model and more specifically, it doesn't follow a typical CMS design by providing a clean separation of content from presentation. If the same content needs to be presented in different versions or formats, it appears that the only real way to achieve this is by duplicating the same content across different CQ components.

Am I missing something here?

• 1. Re: Separating content from presentation
          paolomoz Level 1

Hi EliotHarper, thanks for your very well posted question.

Yes, separation between content and presentation is at the core of the WCM concepts, and CQ5 aims to solve this requirement in a clean way.

Generally speaking content is stored in the repository in the general form of nodes and properties and information related to its presentation is loosely coupled (and can reside somwhere else). The fact that the standard content hierarchy fits into the actual pages hierarchy is just the simples option to ensure authors an incontext experience in a natiral way. But depending on your project, youcan override this approach.

Based on your specific project requiremenets, you may choose from a set of different approaches. I'm mentioning 3 of them in more detail here.

1. Create different renderers for the same resource, to be used depending on where the resource is consumed.

for example /content/products/myproduct.html would render differently than /content/products/myproduct.detail.html

http://sling.apache.org/site/url-decomposition.html

2. Use references. The same resource can be reused (as a reference) in other places. Updates to the content are reflected everywhere, since others are only references to the same resource.

http://dev.day.com/docs/en/cq/current/wcm/default_components.html#Reference

3. Multisite management features. A piece of content (also at a deeper level than a page) can be rolled out to an arbitrary nuymber of 'live copies' at one time. Live copies provide a separate copy of the same content but with a link to the original content, to better manage updates.

http://dev.day.com/docs/en/cq/current/administering/multi_site_manager.html

Please let me know if this helps. Regards.

• 2. Re: Separating content from presentation
            JE Bailey Level 2

As a point of reference, and something that often gets new users of CQ5 confused, is the concept of MVC. When you say "classic MVC" you're probably referring to a variant of MVC which was made popular by several web platforms like Sling, where there is a controller that takes in input, and then munges it and interacts with a model, and then spits out a data set that is to be rendered by a view.

It's a decent pattern to follow, but it's not the original version of MVC. The original version was based on smalltalk, had a ui based pattern, and  relied on the view to interact with the model to keep itself up to date. The view then, in the original MVC pattern, was a reusable component that could be nested within other views to construct a highly complex interface.[ This is all referenced in "Design Patterns" by the Gang of Four ] Which is exactly what CQ allows you to do with it's components.

The reason I bring this up is that it is a different way at looking at the data and structuring for the website then you may be used to, and I've seen ugly things happen when developers who come in with the web/sling mvc concept and try to shoehorn that design paradigm on a platform that wasn't meant to support it

Now to address your specific concerns:

CQ can handle what you are looking to do in a straight forward manner. They way to look at it, is that you're products are the content, you'll either have a specific template or data structure that represents your content(product) and the components that you would be building would be views that reference you're content(product)

In that sense, when you update a product, all of your components would pull and display that updated view of the product model. So update your content in one place and the pdfs get updated, the web pages get updated and anywhere else that references that product would get updated, which is where the power of CQ really come to the fore, because those components that you use to reference the content can then be reused in multiple places.

-Jason

• 3. Re: Separating content from presentation
              justin_at_adobe Adobe Employee

Jason-

I think you mean SPring, not SLing.

Justin

• 4. Re: Separating content from presentation
                JE Bailey Level 2

Why yes   talk about spending too much time buried in  CQ... it's actually corrupted my thinking

• 5. Re: Separating content from presentation
                  EliotHarper Level 1

Paolomoz, thank you for taking the time to provide a detailed answer, this is very helpful. It's all starting to make sense now. Now I just need to bury my head in the docs for a couple of days!