8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2012 2:42 AM by javier.arizcuren

Where are my pluggins?

javier.arizcuren Level 1

Hi.

I have been using CS5.5 and now I've upgrade to CS6 and I've some problems opening CS5.5 files.

Adobe support have told me that the problem could be the pluggins. If I open the Extension manager of ID CS5.5 and CS6 I can see this:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81475310/CS5.5.pdf

Why can`t I see pluggins in CS6? The APLN files are in the CS6 pluggins directory.

How can I install it?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Where are my pluggins?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Let's get straigh, please, where you are trying to open the files, and waht the error actually is.

This sounds like you are trying to open CS6 file in CS5.5. Did you open and save some CS5.5 files in CS6, and now you want to use them in CS5.5 again?

• 2. Re: Where are my pluggins?
            javier.arizcuren Level 1

I'm trying to open CS5.5 files in CS6, and with some of them CS6 says that InDesign can't continue working and it goes off. With other files I have not problem.

I've write to Adobe and they say that the problem could be the pluggins (if I have use some on CS5.5 and I haven´t installed it in CS6) or corrupted fonts.

• 3. Re: Where are my pluggins?

Can you show us the erro dialog? Embed a screen capture in your post using the camera icon on the web page like this:

CameraIcon.png

If you have files from CS5.5 that used a third-party plugin then yes, failure to have that plugin installed in CS6 would throw a warning, but might not be fatal.

When you say "CS6 says that InDesign can't continue working and it goes off." do you mean the program crashes? Do you have a crash report? If you do, post it on Pastebin.com and put a link to it here.

• 4. Re: Where are my pluggins?
                javier.arizcuren Level 1

Sorry, my english level isn't very high.

Yes, InDesign crashes.

Here is a report:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81475310/Report.wer

Every files has cross-references and they are part of InDesign books.

• 5. Re: Where are my pluggins?

Your English is fine. Your dropbox link is unreadable, though.

Inter-document cross-references are often a big problem. There was another similar post last week, and the method I suggested there to rubuild everything from .idml files seemed to work:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4467136#4467136

The problem, though, is you need to be able to pen the files to export to .idml. Do you still have CS5.5 installed, and will the files open there for export?

Don't forget to make backup copies before you do anything.

• 6. Re: Where are my pluggins?
                    javier.arizcuren Level 1

Wow, I'm going crazy.

I've tried to export to .IDML from CS5.5 using CS5.5. Crash opening IDM with CS6.

Then I've tried to save it with other files names as CS5.5 and then open it with CS6. I can do it but when I try to refresh the index it crashes.

I'm working in a high tech company making user manuals, so cross-references are very important to me.

• 7. Re: Where are my pluggins?

The best advice I can give you is that if you need cross-refences you should either use only one document, not a Book, or look into using a third-party cross-reference plugin. I believe both DTP Tools and Virginia Systems offer them.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Where are my pluggins?
                        javier.arizcuren Level 1

Thank you very much Peter.

Now things are better. I've delete every cross-reference, exported as IDML, merged 5 chapters in one (now I've 3 chapters) and made cross-references again (only referenced to the same chapter).

At this moment CS6 doesn't crash . So, my problem was cross-references between different chapters.

I appreciate your help and I think that I could learn a lot of you. If you have more advices or tips I'll be glad to hear it.