13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2012 10:39 AM by BLZP

Replacing Disc Menus background image

BLZP Level 1

Hi

My current project is set to PAL HD 1920 x 1080.

As a basis I have used the slideshow HD disc menu template.

On the main menu I have browsed for a still picture to replace the background and have selected an image sized to 1920 x 1080 pixels.

The new background appears but does NOT fill the frame (bars down left and right hand side). Looking at the image it appears that the image has been squashed horizontally (not as wide as it should be).  Elements does not allow me to expand the image.

I have tried creating both DVD and HD content, all menus have bars down the side.

Why??

• 1. Re: Replacing Disc Menus background image
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This is because your photos are 4:3 and your video frame is 16:9.

Try making a copy of whatever photo you plan to use as a background, then open it in Photoshop, size it to 1920x1400, then crop it (or change the Canvas Size) to 1920x1080. Should fit perfectly then.

• 2. Re: Replacing Disc Menus background image
            BLZP Level 1

Sorry, very confused.

The photo is already sized to 1920 x 1080.  To reduce the demands on the video editing software I always resize to 1920 x 1080.  The simple video I am creating is basically a slide show of a collection of 1920 x 1080 images.  The disc menu image is one of the images used in the show.  It displays correctly in the video but is squeezed-in in the disc menu.

Why?

• 3. Re: Replacing Disc Menus background image
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I don't know. I've never experienced that. Sorry I can't help.

• 4. Re: Replacing Disc Menus background image
                BLZP Level 1

OK More information.....

It looks as though the disc menu is stored as a PSD file.  I have opened one of the HD disc templates (slideshow) and replaced the existing background image with my own image using Photoshop Elements.  I have then loaded this (modified) disc template and it now looks correct (image fills the entire screen).  If I now ask premier elements to replace this with the SAME image it reverts to an image with borders down the side. Arghhhhhhhh.

Sadly this is not a useful fix since Elements complains that the edited file (in Photoshop Elements) is not in a supported format!

I have tried various other templates - same effect the image does not fill the frame.

I have tried on a second machine - same effect.

Has anyone else seen this problem??

Message was edited by: BLZP

• 5. Re: Replacing Disc Menus background image
                  BLZP Level 1

Hi Steve

I am currently in contact with Adobe support to see if they can help.

I have generated a short video straight of my TV to demonstrate the problem at http://youtu.be/wNrrARlXFlg

Anyone else seen this problem??

• 6. Re: Replacing Disc Menus background image
                    nealeh Level 5

I can repeat the problem you have, using a custom 1920x1080 still image background in the HD P&Z menus. Interestingly the background images in the HD Pan and Zoom template are1440 x 1080 images:

1.png

So when I compare the template image with the Disc Menu image it is obvious that the template distorts the background image by stretching the sides to fit the 1920 width. Whereas using my (and yours) custom 1920x1080 images it retains the aspect ratio - leaving the black borders.

2.png

I rather think this is probably a fault in that particular HD template so I suggest you try some of the others and see if they do the same.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Replacing Disc Menus background image
                      BLZP Level 1

Thanks Neale

I was begining to think I was going slightly mad!

Yes, I had noticed that the image in the original template is only 1440 x 1080, and I had managed to generate a menu with a full sized background of my choice by editing (copies of ) the template PSD files and replacing the background with my own.  But I should be able to swap them about within Premiere elements...

For fun I changed the template image size to 1920 x 1080 and got serious letterboxing, so something within the menu system is scaling the 1440 x 1080 to 1920 x 1080, and not doing it quite right.

I have tried a few of the other templates which feature full sized background images and I have the same issue with all of them!

Thanks again.

• 8. Re: Replacing Disc Menus background image
                        nealeh Level 5

I also tried a few more and they all exhibited undesirable behaviour:

• Leaves the black bars.
                        • Overlays, rather than replaces, the background.
                        • Puts the custom background into the live action box if the template has one.

The only other suggestion I have is the one you're doing - contacting Adobe direct.

Good luck, and if you get a solution do please post it back here in this discussion.

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 9. Re: Replacing Disc Menus background image
                          BLZP Level 1

Just a little more information (or maybe too much!!).

The following are extracted directly from the .m2ts streams produced by Premiere Elements.

The original 1920 x 1080 image used to create menu and video

Original test image.png

I'm not sure if it is possible to view this full size but it shows a 1 pixel white border around the extreme edge of the image.  If TV/player etc are set to "Just Scan" i.e. 1 to 1 from video to TV then this white border should just be visible in the final video.

The resulting video track when encoded using Adobe Elements:

video track.png

Not bad, maybe 8/10.  Although the text in the bottom left hand corner is no longer entire (some areas of the text are missing), overall the picture is not bad (although some obvious fringing in places)

The Disc Menu:

title menu.png

The thing to note here is that the image does not fill the frame.  In fact it appears to measure 1755 x 1051 pixels.  So the size is wrong AND the aspect ratio is incorrect, hence the text in the bottom left hand corner is now illegible, and the various bars show significant fringing.  In fact even the "Play Movie" text has breaks in the image.

So whatever is taking the replacement background image is NOT scaling it to the correct size or even aspect ratio.

• 10. Re: Replacing Disc Menus background image
                            Brett N Adobe Employee

I see the behavior you are talking about here. Not sure of the exact cause just yet, be we'll look into it. For now, your method of opening the PSD file that is the basis for the menu and adding your image as the background should work just fine. Just make sure that you are not adding any layers and maintaining the layer names and structures. This means copying in your new image, which will be in its own layer, moving that layer to just above the "background" layer, and using Merge Down from the Layer menu (Command/Ctrl+E).

• 11. Re: Replacing Disc Menus background image
                              BLZP Level 1

I am sorry to have to report that after a week Adobe decided to withdraw my support case! 

After nearly three hours on the chat line last night, including a lengthy desktop sharing session during which, I believe, I demonstrated the problem of incorrectly sized disc menu images, I am no further forward.  I had high hopes that this new chat session and support case would reveal a solution.

Sadly this morning it appears that Adobe have withdrawn this new support case.

Given that Adobe seem unable, or unwilling, to suggest a solution, my review of this software on Amazon will, sadly have to report my findings!

Sad....

• 12. Re: Replacing Disc Menus background image
                                Brett N Adobe Employee

BLZP, I'm not sure what you hoped to accomplish by chatting with tech support last night. I have already replicated the issue and reported it directly to our engineering department for repair. Tech support isn't going to be able to provide a solution to this issue. Basically, at this point, we can only wait for engineering to fix this from the inside.

• 13. Re: Replacing Disc Menus background image
                                  BLZP Level 1

Hi Brett

My confusion here is knowing what relationship contributors are to Adobe (yes I now see it says STAFF), and consequently if issues are reported to Adobe for correction.  Sorry for that.

My irritation with Tech Support was that they didn't seem to think there was an issue and simply withdrew my support cases (after two weeks of me awaiting a reply).  I was not aware that Adobe were looking into it.  A simply "Yes we agree, engineering are looking into it" was all that was required not a blunt "Issue not supported - Withdrawn".

Thanks again and sorry for the confusion.

BLP