4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2012 6:47 AM by craigmetke

Missing Links

craigmetke Level 1

Recently I have been running into a problem with placed links in my .indd files. Even though I have the correct drives mounted, InDesign can't find my files.

Screenshot.png vs. Screen shot 2012-06-11 at 8.29.54 AM.png

You'll notice in the screenshot on the left that the Path includes iMac:Volumes: Now, if I relink the file and manually browse to it on the network, the path changes. Why is this?

The .indd file(s) that I work on are shared by multiple people. All have the same version of InDesign while some have various revisions of Mac OS X (10.4.x and 10.5.x). I have noticed that, on occasion, a file I open will show all links as missing; I close it, have another designer open the same file (links show up correctly), close the .indd, then I open it and the links are fine. Bizzare....

Could the problem be because I am using an alternate Finder? http://cocoatech.com/pathfinder/

Part of me thinks so...but I have been using Path Finder for almost two years now and I have only started experiencing this problem recently.

• 1. Re: Missing Links
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Could it be that the placed eps files are opened by someone else on the network the moment you open the InDesign file and get the missing links message?

Uwe

• 2. Re: Missing Links
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I'm curious why you think the files being open would affect the path?

• 3. Re: Missing Links
              Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not sure about that. Not at all.

It's more a faint memory:

A side effect, if you open a file on a server in PhotoShop and write it back after editing:

a totally new file will be written from memory while the old version is deleted. (If I recall that right.)

Could also be a  problem with the server without opening a placed file somewhere else. I do not remember the specific circumstances (OS on the server side in conjunction with the network protocol), but I can remember someone already ran into a similar problem. If I have time I'll do a little research on that.

But first I have to hear a bit more about the server, its OS and the network protocol from the OP. And the exact version of the OS of the workstation.

There are some threads on the German-Swiss forum "HilfDirSelbst" that indicate something like that.

Examples:
              http://www.hilfdirselbst.ch/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=484345#484345

http://www.hilfdirselbst.ch/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=483504#483504

Especially the path name problem seems silmilar… (which has nothing to do with an opened file by eg. PhotoShop)
              No solution nor deeper analyses in the two mentioned threads.

Uwe

• 4. Re: Missing Links
                craigmetke Level 1

Possible but it doesn't seem to be the case. I have verified that the files linked in the .indd file I have open are not in use by other designers.