2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2012 10:30 AM by station_two

Embedded Profiles

savispud Level 1

Dear All,

I wish to check my understanding of embedded profiles. I will have to print out from a second machine that I will not have the ICC profile I am using installed.

1. You use Edit>Convert to Profile
      2. Edit>Colour Settings is set to preserve profiles
      3. File>Save As is has the colour mangement box checked with the correct profile.
      4. When you open the file on a second machine you use Print with the following settings:
      5. Photoshop manages Colour
      6. Printer Profile - IF THE PROFILE IS NOT INSTALLED ON THAT MACHINE WILL THE ORIGINAL PROFILE APPEAR?
      7. Disable Printers colour management.

Will the image print out in correct profile? What about point 6

• 1. Re: Embedded Profiles
          Level 5

savispud wrote:

…6. Printer Profile - IF THE PROFILE IS NOT INSTALLED ON THAT MACHINE WILL THE ORIGINAL PROFILE APPEAR?…

Yes, that's why you embed the profile in the file, so that the profile trivels along with, right inside the file itself.  That's what "embedded" means.

• 2. Re: Embedded Profiles
            Level 5

Photoshop uses the embedded profile to open it and show the correct colors.

Naturally, you then need to designate a target profile for printing, and that will be a profile specifically made for the combination of paper, ink and printer you will be using.