6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2012 12:01 PM by Bill Gehrke

Which GeForce 6xx series?

Dvico Level 1

Dear All!

I'd like to ask your advice about an exchange from gtx470 to 6xx geforce VGA. I plan to use edit 28Mbps/24Mps AVCHD and DSLR H.264/MP4 1080p ( only!! )

with PP & AE CS6 in the future. I mean GTX 670 enough or better GTX 680 ? 2GB or 4GB much better?

I would use with I7 3930K / P9X79 Pro / 32GB . Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Which GeForce 6xx series?
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would use the GTX 670 for your editing, The only good reason for the 4 GB  would be if you are dealing in lots of large still or video frames beyond your  current usage.

• 2. Re: Which GeForce 6xx series?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Better continue using the 470 and spending the money on other system improvements, more disks, memory, raid controller, etc.

Today I saw an entry into the benchmark results, based on a Quadro 6000 for a whopping € 3,605 price (today in the Netherlands, incl. VAT) that did no better than a € 237 priced GTX 470. 15 times the price and nothing to show for it. That is a waste of money. I'll be adding these results later today.

• 3. Re: Which GeForce 6xx series?

Harm has the correct larger picture view, there is no major improvement in processing Premiere with the proposed change, I know nothing about AE but it might be helpful there, I will let others comment on that aspect.

• 4. Re: Which GeForce 6xx series?
                Dvico Level 1

Thanks!Im still thinking about 64Gb RAM, and maybe refrehing my disks setup.Instead of VGA exchange.Im very satisfied with my GTX470, maybe I just read too much about new Keplers.

I think the raid controllers what Mr.Harm propose (Areca) is too expensive for me.And I heard that to install cheaper raid controllers just a waste of money.And I dont know what is the number of disks where a Raid controller worth the price? ( I have raid0 ( 2*1TB Samsung) only,- for media.and projects and revodrive for OS and other ssd for pagefile, media cache and prviews )

• 5. Re: Which GeForce 6xx series?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Yeah, those raid controllers are really expensive, but even if they are out of reach with your current budget, more disks will always help and the gain from a 670 versus a 470 will be marginal. That is why I'm considering keeping my 480 instead of getting a new 680, since the cost of my new system is already getting out of hand. If I were to keep my current system running and just add a new system, the cost would likely be around € 6 - 7 K.

• 6. Re: Which GeForce 6xx series?

Well Harm was just sort of joking when he gave you that 28-port part number.  There are many less expensive Areca's and the LSI based controllers (LSI, Intel, IBM) are also quite good but just do not offer RAID 3 or 30 which Harm prefers.  If you are happy with just RAID 0 (without any redundancy) you motherboard RAID is very good