6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2015 5:32 AM by DBLjan

applescript - grep

ax1e2l_b3r4a5s6s Level 1

I'm looking for examples of using grep with InDesign CS5.5.

I have a document that may or may not have one or more lines that contains an asterisk and a one or two digit number followed by a space.

I want to capture the two numbers, change the line from the asterisk to the end of the line to the point size of the numbers, then remove the asterisk and the two numbers and the space.

example:

100 Anystreet, *8 Suite 105

should become

100 Anystreet, Suite 105

I'm not sure if this is possible.  Any input??

• 1. Re: applescript - grep
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Sure it's possible, just not with GREP alone, as it can't replace text with a point size that's in text. I suppose that's why you suggested AppleScript.

How many different sizes do you need? If this is a limited number, you could do it with GREP styles -- one per font size, plus an additional one to hide the combo *(size) from view. A definite plus would be that changing the number immediately will change the text size. Downside would be you need a blindingly fast computer as soon as you cross over some magical threshold of number of GREP styles. I used to think they only got calculated once and then cached, somewhere in each paragraph bowels, but I found out the *very* hard way that's not the case. It seems all of them get re-calculated for your entire document on an event trigger as little as a mouse click ...

I don't know AppleScript, but in Javascript it could be done as simple as:

1. search for asterisk, wildcard digits, a space, and then anything else up to the end of a line.

2. apply font size in that digit to the found string.

3. delete asterisk plus digits plus space.

4. repeat until satisfied.

• 2. Re: applescript - grep
            ax1e2l_b3r4a5s6s Level 1

Thank you for that, Jongware.

I'm hoping that it can be as simple in AppleScript as it sounds like it could be in JavaScript.  I don't know javascript very well, as was hoping to write the application I'm working on wholly in applescript to get some experience.

Anyone else have any suggestions???

Any ideas on where to look???

• 3. Re: applescript - grep
              Cenchen Level 2

The below code may will help you....

app.findGrepPreferences.findWhat = "\\*[0-9]+[ ]"

app.changeGrepPreferences.changeTo = "";

app.activeDocument.changeGrep();

• 4. Re: applescript - grep
                Shonkyin Level 3

Here below is sample code of FindChangeByList.applescript which I think help you to understand.

on myFindGrep(myObject, myFindPreferences, myChangePreferences, myFindChangeOptions)

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS6"

--Clear the find grep/change grep preferences before each find/change operation.

set find grep preferences to nothing

set change grep preferences to nothing

set myScript to "tell application \"Adobe InDesign CS6\"" & return & "set properties of find grep preferences to " & myFindPreferences & return

set myScript to myScript & "set properties of change grep preferences to " & myChangePreferences & return

set myScript to myScript & "set properties of find change grep options to " & myFindChangeOptions & return

set myScript to myScript & "end tell" & return

do script myScript language applescript language

tell myObject

set myFoundItems to change grep

end tell

--Clear the find grep/change grep preferences after each find/change operation.

set find text preferences to nothing

set change text preferences to nothing

end tell

end myFindGrep

Shonky

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: applescript - grep
                  ax1e2l_b3r4a5s6s Level 1

Shonkyin -

Thank you.  Very helpful.

What wound up working for me as shown below.  Not very elegent, but effective so far:

set fixPointSize to "YES"

repeat while fixPointSize = "YES"

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS5.5"

set find grep preferences to nothing

set change grep preferences to nothing

set find what of find grep preferences to "(?i)\\*[0-9][0-9]*.*$"

tell active document

set myFoundItems to find grep

end tell

if (count myFoundItems) is not equal to 0 then

set myItem to (contents of item 1 of myFoundItems) as string

set myItemPointSize to _string's stringBetween(myItem, "*", " ")

set myItemChangeTo to _string's rightString(myItem, "*" & myItemPointSize & " ")

set find what of find text preferences to myItem

set change to of change text preferences to myItemChangeTo

set point size of change text preferences to myItemPointSize

tell active document

change text

end tell

else

set fixPointSize to "NO"

end if

end tell

end repeat

• 6. Re: applescript - grep
                    DBLjan Level 2

--Clear the find grep/change grep preferences after each find/change operation.

set find text preferences to nothing

set change text preferences to nothing

I may correct:

set find grep prefereces to nothing

set change grep prefereces to nothing