5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2012 11:28 AM by Todd_Kopriva RSS

How many AE render clients can be installed using CS6 Cloud?

RenderDan

I am a long time AE user and have just upgraded to CS6 via the Cloud subscription. In my office I have 15 render nodes that I used AE Render Client with wonderfully in the past for network rendering.

I am installing the latest AE on each of them so that I can use just the AE render clients.

When I try to launch more than just two or three AE render clients "Adobe After Effects Render Engine" I constantly get a "Maximum Activations Exceeded" warning and the AE render client fails to launch. I NEED to use the render farm capabilities of AE like before and it used to be that I could install just the render client on all of my computers.

Now it looks like I am only limited to running 2 or 3 render clients.

Is there a limit to how many render clients we can now run under CS6 with a Cloud subscription? Is there a way around this error I am getting? I have several really big jobs I need to run on my network but if I can no longer use AE's built in network rendering client on more than 2 or 3 computers out of the 15 I have, then it is not a feasible prospect to continue with AE CS6.

Any guidance is appreciated as telephone tech support didn't really even know what network rendering was in After Effects.

I'm using this on Win 7, 64-bit... all identical machines.

• 1. Re: How many AE render clients can be installed using CS6 Cloud?
          RenderDan Community Member

Unbelievable......

I have been talking to Adobe on their phone loop for 1 hour and 45 minutes. I've talked to 11 different people about my issue. Each time they forward me to someone else, then to sales, then back to other people. Except for the sales guy, none of the tech support people even knew what After Effects was, much less the network rendering capabilities. Upon connection to my 11th person just now, whom I could barely understand, he stated he was in the "After Effects Tech Support". I explain my issue once again and he simply said, "Sorry, cannot help you" and hung up the phone after nearly two hours of being bounced around. I am shocked because I foolishly thought I could actually talk to someone as a new subscriber to the Cloud product and reach someone who knew anything about their own products. Forgive me if I'm curt, but after 1 hour 45 minutes of getting nowhere and then finally having the phone abruptly hung up on me has made my patience thin.

Once again, I am a long time AE user with an in house render farm that has used the Render Engine client with a watch folder. In the past we could just install the Render Engine on all of our computers and successfully network render. I am now using AE CS6 via the Cloud subscription. I downloaded AE on each of my 15 machines just so that I can get the Network Render Engine installed. On the majority of these machines, when I launch just the Render Engine client, I get the following message: "Maximum Activations Exceeded". The help files for AE CS6 state:

ability to use network rendering (aerender and watch folder) without activation of render-only nodes: After Effects CS5.5 had to be activated (serial number entered) on render-only machines due to licensing restrictions for certain codecs. In After Effects CS6, you can now run aerender or use Watch Folder in a non-royalty-bearing mode, activation not required.

Is there ANYONE whom I can call to help resolve this issues as to why I'm getting flagged for this? It apparently thinks I'm trying to launch multiple copies of AE, but I'm just trying to launch the Render Engine and use the watch folder, that is all. This MUST be an issue with the Cloud authentication. Please, if there is anyone at Adobe who can help me figure this out I would be amazingly grateful as we have several large jobs which need to be worked on this week.

• 2. Re: How many AE render clients can be installed using CS6 Cloud?
            Dan Fredley Community Member

http://adobe.ly/KjfOZ8

From Adobe After Effects Help:

After Effects CS5.5 had to be serialized on render-only machines (e.g., in a render farm) due to licensing issues. In After Effects CS6, you can now run aerender or use Watch Folder in a non-royalty bearing mode, so serialization not required.

To enable non-royalty bearing mode: Place a blank file named ae_render_only_node.txt into one of the following locations, depending on the user account type:

1. Install After Effects on the render-only machine.
            2. Place a blank file named ae_render_only_node.txt into one of the following locations, depending on the user account type:
              • Mac locations:/Users/<username>/Documents//Users/Shared/Adobe/
              • Windows locations:C:\Users\<username>\DocumentsC:\Users\Public\Documents\Adobe
            • 3. Re: How many AE render clients can be installed using CS6 Cloud?
              RenderDan Community Member

Thanks Dan, of course, wouldn't you know it, right after I posted that I looked closer and saw that. I did what it said and we're cooking with gas now.

Thanks for the post.

• 4. Re: How many AE render clients can be installed using CS6 Cloud?
                Sascha Selent Community Member

Hi RenderDan.

Does it mean that free networkrendering works again with CS6 this way?

Thank you.

Sascha

• 5. Re: How many AE render clients can be installed using CS6 Cloud?
                  Todd_Kopriva Adobe Employee

See this for details of the change from After Effects CS5.5 to After Effects CS6 regarding codecs and licensing for the render engine:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2012/06/codecs-and-the-render-engine-in-after-effects- cs6.html