7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2012 11:55 AM by Verino55 RSS

Printer issues with Photoshop CS5

Verino55

Using my Espon R2000 with Photoshop CS5 and Windows 7 (32 bit), I have to re-select the printer every time I print a copy, resetting the paper type, orientation and printer profile.  Sometimes, mostly when I'm only doing my 2nd or 3rd copy, I can just click on the printer properties to make the selections, but most often when I do that I get the error message "because the printer does not exist".  I've installed the most recent updates for Photoshop (ver. 12.0.4).  Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Printer issues with Photoshop CS5
          Wojo22

I am having the exact same issue.  any help greatly appreaciated

• 2. Re: Printer issues with Photoshop CS5
            Noel Carboni Community Member

Here are some things to try.  I don't guarantee success, but it will be interesting to hear whether it makes a difference in what you're seeing.

• Choose File - Print.
            • Make the changes you want in the Print dialog.
            • Press the [ Print Settings... ] button, then [ OK ] back to the Print dialog.
            • Press the [ Print Settings... ] button and [ OK ] AGAIN, so that you've done it twice.
            • Print the document.
            • Save the document (info about the last print is saved in a document).
            • Quit Photoshop.

Next time you start Photoshop, and open that document, do you see the same problems?

-Noel

• 3. Re: Printer issues with Photoshop CS5
              Verino55 Community Member

The short answer is yes, I still see the same problem after following your instructions.  First, after clicking ok the first time I chose [Print Settings], when I again chose [Print Settings] I got the inane "Because the printer does not exist" error message.  I plunged ahead nonetheless, choosing a different printer, allowing the software to digest that, then choosing the R2000 again, whereupon I was able to choose [Print Settings].  In the meantime, of course, the software had lost all the modifications I had made the first time through.  I made the same changes again, printed the file, saved it, and exited Photoshop.  I then reopened the same file in Photoshop, but it had lost all the changes I had made (twice) the previous time I had it open.

I've found that if I open a file and choose print, I can select [Print Settings] without an error.  If I print it, then try to print it again, I get the error message on selecting [Print Settings].  If I instead open a different file and choose print, I can select [Print Settings] without getting the error message.  As long as it's the first time in the session (not sure if it's triggered by a lapse of time or closing and reopening the file), I can select [Print Settings] file after file without seeing the error message.  This is small consolation if the print job I'm doing is a bunch of reprints of the same file.

Steve

• 4. Re: Printer issues with Photoshop CS5
                Noel Carboni Community Member

I remember something from a long while ago...  Does your printer have a long or complicated name (e.g., containing spaces)?

Seems to me I recall  that setting printer names to be simple, 8 or less character names with no spaces or special characters can be helpful.

-Noel

• 5. Re: Printer issues with Photoshop CS5

That's an interesting idea.  My printer has the name that was assigned to it by default, but it is long and complicated: "Epson Stylus Photo R2000(Network)".  There doesn't seem to be an easy way to rename a network printer in Windows 7.  I just did a quick search and didn't find anything very satisfying.  Any suggestions?  Thanks for your help.

Steve

• 6. Re: Printer issues with Photoshop CS5
                    MrSki48

Noel Carboni was correct.  I had the same issue with the same printer.and the same printer name.  I changed my printer name to EpsonR2000 and now it works fine.

Terry

• 7. Re: Printer issues with Photoshop CS5

Thank you.  I found a video showing how to rename the printer (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Rename-a-printer), tried it and so far, it seems to have done the trick.