2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2012 9:39 AM by Chris Smith x0h00

Adobe's take on CS6 performance on the next gen MBP

Chris Smith x0h00 Level 1

Forgive me if I missed this, but being gutted they still haven't released a new Mac Pro (spec bumps released today don't count), I'm thinking of just getting a Next Gen MBP and work from there.  Does Adobe have an opinion on how it performs with CS6 particulaly related to Cuda acceleration and the Mercury Playback engine?  Will it do well with only 16GB of RAM and the internal 650M card?

• 1. Re: Adobe's take on CS6 performance on the next gen MBP
          jasonvp Level 3

Chris Smith x0h00 wrote:

Forgive me if I missed this, but being gutted they still haven't released a new Mac Pro (spec bumps released today don't count), I'm thinking of just getting a Next Gen MBP and work from there.  Does Adobe have an opinion on how it performs with CS6 particulaly related to Cuda acceleration and the Mercury Playback engine?  Will it do well with only 16GB of RAM and the internal 650M card?

I'm not Adobe and don't speak for them.  What I say here is probably worth less than you paid for it.  However...

Doing some thought exercises should pretty much answer your question.  Some things about the new MBP (which I intend to get, eventually) -

• 1GB of VRAM.  MPE in hardware mode, assuming it works with the GT650M (and no reason to assume it won't) will be somewhat hobbled with only a Gig of VRAM.
          • 16G of RAM is probably enough but a bit on the tight side depending on what you're editing.
          • Spinning media: using a laptop for your primary editing rig is always a challenge due to storage.  The new MBPs have 2 Thunderbolt ports which is nice, so you'd be encouraged to add external storage via those ports.  But doing so is going to cost you some serious $$.

Can you do it?  I'd assume so.  Will it perform as well as a Mac Pro with a decent video card and a cubic f'load of RAM in it?  Probably not.  IMHO: I think you're foolish to walk away from the Mac Pro for PPro editing if you want to stay in the Mac world.  The new MBP laptops look superb, and after years of having cruddy displays on their 15" laptops, Apple has finally turned a weakness into a strength (2880x1800.. good grief!)  But, unless you start going nuts with Thunderbolt add-ons, the laptop is still going to be I/O-bound to some extent, and limited in what it can do from a video performance perspective.

jas

• 2. Re: Adobe's take on CS6 performance on the next gen MBP
            Chris Smith x0h00 Level 1

Thanks for your input, Jason.  Yes, I would definitely hook it up to a Thunderbolt RAID or 2 as well as max out all the specs on the laptop and hook it to 2 27" Thunderbolt displays.  The idea is that if I start to invest in Thunderbolt gear, at least IF and when a new Mac Pro comes out, I can integrate the Mac Pro into this setup and still have a laptop to carry around.  If I go buy an "old" 12 core and put in Quadros and such, sure I'll get better performance, but I'll also be putting 10k into old technology.  SO, if Adobe (or anyone here who has tried it) just has a "Yeah, we tried CS6 on the new laptop and it works fantastic!", that would help me have confidence in that decision.