2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2012 5:07 AM by nealeh

My Premiere Elements 7 has become nearly unresponsive.

xiFuziion

Not sure how to start, but here are my computer specs:

• Windows 7 Home Premium
      • AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor 3.00 GHz
      • 4.00 GB RAM
      • 64-bit OS
      • PNY GeForce GTX 550 Ti Graphics Card

So for about 2 years now, I have been using Premiere Elements 7 with great satisfaction. It has worked great, ran smooth, quick rendering, just a great program. This week, I've been trying to use Premiere to do some usual editing, but the playback runs less that 1 frame per second. I checked the origonal file to see if I captured at a low frame rate but it was fine. I have not made any changes to my computer, other than moving it's location (I moved to the well ventilated Den). ALL of my other programs run perfectly. My hardcore games such as Minecraft and League of Legends work just the same, if not better than before. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Premiere, and still having the same issue. At this moment I'm typing this, my 15 minute long video, (720p 25, like all my other videos), is taking more than 5 hours. When Premiere is up, all other processes are slowed, even if Premiere isn't doing anything. This week, I've just skipped watching my video through while editing, added music, and left my computer to do it's 5 hour saving process. The videos come out as the correct length, so I know I don't have blank footage.

I would love some help.

-Trevor

• 1. Re: My Premiere Elements 7 has become nearly unresponsive.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Your challenge is to figure out what you changed on your computer, since the program obviously hasn't.

First, manually go to Windows Update and ensure you have all -- even the non-critical -- updates.

Then ensure you have the latest version of Quicktime from Apple.

Then do some cleaning and tuning. My personal favorite tune-up program is Advanced System Care from iobit, which does a Deep Clean and tune with a single click of a button. And it's free! I've used it every week for yearsand my 6 year old computer runs better than when it was new.

http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html

I know your computer is virtually brand new. But, trust me, it's still full of junk files and fragmentation. And quite possibly malware. (And, if you're running Norton 360 -- well, a lot of people consider IT malware, the way it eats system resources.)

You should also go to Premiere Elements' Edit/Preferences and clear your Media Cache.

(And, for that matter, go to your Internet browsers and clear their caches. You'd be surprised how much junk in your browser's cache can slow down your computer!)

• 2. Re: My Premiere Elements 7 has become nearly unresponsive.
            nealeh Level 5

First take a look at these and provide the info requested in the first link (source, format, project settings, how clips were imported, etc...):

Got a Problem? How to Get Started

PrE Hanging, or Crashing - Some Tips

xiFuziion wrote:

I have not made any changes to my computer, other than moving it's location (I moved to the well ventilated Den).

It may be worth your while to take the lid of and make sure that all your internal boards are properly seated.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children