20 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2013 12:56 PM by Stephen Barrante

Adjustment Layer bugs

tomas_m

Hello,

I have a few problems using adjustment layers:

1. If footage beneath adjustment layer is scaled down, the effect of adjustment layer is also scaled down (see example)

(Sequence is PAL Widescreen, Footage - XDCAM EX 1080i scaled to 55%)

PAL_16x9_v0010.jpg

And it doesn't matter if I use 'sequence sized' or 'footage sized' Adjustment Layer.

The effect is always the same.

But if I stack two adjustment layers - effect of second one affects the whole frame.

Problem no. 2

I use "Levels" and "Gaussian or Fast Blur" on adjustment layer.

But if "Levels" are turned on, it cancels the effect of Blur.

Thanks in advance,

---

Tomas M.

P.S. Mercury Playback Engine Hardware accelerated (GeForce 570GTX)

• 1. Re: Adjustment Layer bugs
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I think the first issue is just how AL's work.

The second issue I can't reproduce.  All three effects work just fine on the same AL, regardless of order.

• 2. Re: Adjustment Layer bugs
            jstrawn Adobe Employee

Ditto Jim on both accounts, but just to provide a bit more info...

#1 Adjustment Layers are just adjustment-enabled black video clips. So if you change the fixed motion properties (position, scale, rotation...) it will affect the clip as an object, yielding the result you see. Only applicable Video Effects have an effect on the underlying video frames you see in the program monitor. So this is as designed. To scale all overlapping video clips, you'll need to chage the cale % for each one by hand.

#2 CNR - are you sure that it's not just playing a visual trick on you?... Try turning up Gaussian Blur really high and see if it still appears to 'cancel' when you apply levels.

• 3. Re: Adjustment Layer bugs
              Averdahl Level 3

James,

#1 Adjustment Layers are just adjustment-enabled black video clips. So if you change the fixed motion properties (position, scale, rotation...) it will affect the clip as an object, yielding the result you see. Only applicable Video Effects have an effect on the underlying video frames you see in the program monitor. So this is as designed. To scale all overlapping video clips, you'll need to chage the cale % for each one by hand.

The Adjustment Layer it not scaled down, it is the footage *under* the AL that is scaled down. I get this issue as well in Pr as well but do *not* get in in Ae. It's already filed as a bug and you know where to find the report.

#2 CNR - are you sure that it's not just playing a visual trick on you?... Try turning up Gaussian Blur really high and see if it still appears to 'cancel' when you apply levels.

The very same thing happened to me the other day as well. When Levels was on, the Gaussian Blur stopped working. When Levels was on, Gaussian Blur worked as expected. The Gaussian Blur was set to 100 for testing purposes, so it was not a visual trick. I have not yet been able to reproduce it. (When i tried i found the bug when scaling down footage...)

/Roger

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Adjustment Layer bugs
                Tomislav Zidanic Level 1

I created adjustment layer with some color effect and put it on top of a clip in my timeline. As I wanted it to apear slowly, I used dissolve at begining and at the end of that adjustment layer.

Instead of dissolve effect I get it to apear from black (like there is no clip under it) - as I used dip to black instead.

• 5. Re: Adjustment Layer bugs
                  tomas_m Level 1

#1  The strange thing is that sometimes it works properly. But I still can't reproduce when.

Also, as I mentioned - if there are *2* identical ALs stack one above other (with either one's parameters set to '0'),

then you get proper (desired) effect (adjustments propagate to the whole frame size).

#2 Yes, I tried to turn up bluriness, tried different blurs (gaussian, fast). And it only happens with LEVELS.

So the workaround for me is to use ProcAmp or something else. Still - LEVELS are my tool of choice.

And once again - sometimes it DOES work correctly. So I assume it realy is a bug.

---

Tomas M.

• 6. Re: Adjustment Layer bugs
                    tclark513 Level 3

Did you try different "stacking" orders in the effect window with your effects?  The order will sometimes change the way effects work.

• 7. Re: Adjustment Layer bugs
                      tomas_m Level 1

Yes I did. Order should always matter. But in these cases it does not.

• 8. Re: Adjustment Layer bugs
                        tomas_m Level 1

OK guys, I've came up with temporal solution for problem #1 (ALs scaling):

When AL's [scale] property is ABOVE 100% (i.e. 101%) - AL works just fine.

When AL's [scale] property is BELOW 100% (i.e. 99%) - AL also works correctly - effects area is scaled down

But when AL's [scale] property is EXACTLY 100% - it will inherit it's scale from underlying footage.

So the solution - use AL's scale [101%] or above. It does not affect footage scale.

Regarding problem #2 - today everything works fine and I can't reproduce faulty behaviour.

I guess it appears only when cliet is behind my back

• 9. Re: Adjustment Layer bugs
                          jstrawn Adobe Employee

...temporal solution for problem #1 (ALs scaling):

When AL's [scale] property is ABOVE 100% (i.e. 101%) - AL works just fine.

When AL's [scale] property is BELOW 100% (i.e. 99%) - AL also works correctly - effects area is scaled down

But when AL's [scale] property is EXACTLY 100% - it will inherit it's scale from underlying footage.

I don't understand what the problem is that you're trying to work around.

When an AL is scaled down below the saize of the underlying layer(s) then you will see its effects applied to the clip(s) belowm, but only within that scaled-down area.

When an AL is at 100%, or any other % that is the same or larger than the underlying clip(s), then you will see its effects applied over the entirety of the frames below.

The AL should never be automatically scaled based on underlying clip(s). If you see that happening, then it is a bug and we will need repro steps and (if possible) test media to troubleshoot it.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem you're seeing, but if you're using Gaussian Blur and you get a dark halo around the clip that you're applying it to as an AL, make sure 'repeat ege pixels' is checked off for the AL's blur effect in the Effects Controls Panel. Or if, you want the blur to apply beyond the edge of a clip, then scale the adjustment layer to be larger the underlying clip(s).

• 10. Re: Adjustment Layer bugs
                            tomas_m Level 1

OK Jim, I'll try to express myself more clearly (although Averdahl and TomZid2012 understood me)

Sequence is PAL widescreen.

Footage on [Video 1] is XDCAM EX 1080i. It is scaled to 55% to fit PAL.

If I add AL to [Video 2] with any effect (CC, Blur, Levels, it realy doesn't matter), then the footage is affected only

in smaller region (see my attachment - it shows the effect of Fast Color Corrector, cranked up).

But if I scale AL just a bit - then everything works fine and the whole frame is affected by AL.

The same thing happens even with stills (if they are scale down).

Averdahl says that it's already filled as bug. And you should be able to reproduce it from my previous (or this) post.

But if it helps - I can send you small project with footage.

Regarding blur - I know how "Repeat edge pixels" functions. And I know how to troubleshoot such things.

I'm not a novice. I've tried all possible combinations of blurs+levels.

But as I said - it happens randomly, so at the moment I can't reproduce this situation.

• 11. Re: Adjustment Layer bugs
                              jstrawn Adobe Employee

My apologies to everyone... I was geting mixed up in my reading of this and other threads and was not undertstaning the problem in THIS particular part of the thread. I did get Roger's bug submission and it is a duplicate of a know bug which is being worked on. Thanks all for your continued support.

• 12. Re: Adjustment Layer bugs
                                tomas_m Level 1

Thank you. Hope to see fix soon.

• 13. Re: Adjustment Layer bugs
                                  Stephen Barrante Level 1

Resurrecting this thread, and strangley there doesn't appear to be a lot of discusison about it (at least through searching).

I've been experiencing this issue since CS6, and now it appears to still be present in Premiere CC. I can't narrow down a cause, but it seems to happen when I have 1920x1080 clips in a 1280x720 comp, and if there are clips in the timeline scaled down.

The Adjustment layer should ignore the properties of the clips below, and a 1280x720 adjustment layer in the same size comp should apply adjustments edge to edge. Instead, I'm seeing the same results Tomas had originally reported.

The hack fix is to scale the adj layer larger, but that's not the route I always want to go.

Any thoughts?

• 14. Re: Adjustment Layer bugs
                                    tomas_m Level 1

Stephen, You are absolutely right.

It always happens when footage in timeline is scaled down and  there is nothing underneath it (which is ALWAYS the case).

There was no fix for CS6 and in CC this bug is also ignored.

So where is "Adobe is listening" thing? A very disappointing attitude.

• 15. Re: Adjustment Layer bugs
                                      tclark513 Level 3

What would happen if you created your adjustment layer the same size as the original footage?

• 16. Re: Adjustment Layer bugs
                                        tomas_m Level 1

Absolutely same result. Adjustment layer seems to inherit size of the sequence and then is scaled down according to footage scale value underneath.

If you set footage to "Scale to Frame size" - AL seems to act normaly. But I use this option rarely.

• 17. Re: Adjustment Layer bugs
                                          joshweiland Level 2

tomas_m wrote:

If you set footage to "Scale to Frame size" - AL seems to act normaly. But I use this option rarely.

I was going to suggest this. Instead of scaling using the motion properties, use "Scale to Frame size".

Any reason you prefer manual scaling?

• 18. Re: Adjustment Layer bugs
                                            tomas_m Level 1

I.e. PAL DV Widescreen aspect ratio is not the same as HD (1080 or 720). So

"scale to frame" results black "curtains".

Another scenario is if I want to frame the shot differently, i.e zoom a bit

more.

So I think this issue should be solved.

This bug is a year old and still present in next major version.

• 19. Re: Adjustment Layer bugs
                                              joshweiland Level 2

Understandable. Let's hope it gets fixed!

• 20. Re: Adjustment Layer bugs
                                                Stephen Barrante Level 1

Glad it isn't exclusive to me, but frustrating nonetheless. Fortunately if you scale the Adjustment layer way past the frame size, you can apply it to the full frame. A work around for the time being until they fix the issue.