24 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2012 6:06 AM by Kesha_n

Advice on new PC for video editing

Kesha_n

Hi!

I'm building new PC for video editing (Adobe CS6). System is based on Videoguys DIY9 recomendations (http://www.videoguys.com/Guide/E/Videoguys+DIY9+Its+Time+for+Sandy+Bridge+E/0xe9b142f408a2 b03ab88144a434e88de7.aspx) with few changes:

CPU:  Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz

MB:  ASUS P9X79 PRO

RAM:  Corsair Vengeance Red 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-2133

Video:  ASUS GTX 570 DCII 1280MB GDDR5 DP

HDDCorsair Force 3 90GB SATA3 550/500MBs (system disk)

Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA3 7200RPM 64MB (scratch disk)

PSUCORSAIR AX850 80+ GOLD

DVDASUS 12D1S BD-R

CaseANTEC P280

OSWin7 Pro OEM

RAIDG-SPEED eS (RAID 5)

Any thoughts & suggestions on such configuration?

Thank you in advance!

• 1. Re: Advice on new PC for video editing
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Where are your media and projects going to be stored? On that G-raid? What a waste. Better get a good PCIe-8x raid controller.

• 2. Re: Advice on new PC for video editing
            Kesha_n Level 1

The point is that G-SPEED eS already have. I do not want this moment to invest in additional storage.. Of course, I should consider the additional space for projects..

• 3. Re: Advice on new PC for video editing
              Harm Millaard Level 7

OK, did not know you already had the G-Raid.

RAM: Definitely go for LV (1.35V) modules without Micron chips, like the Samsung LV modules.

HDD: consider the Corsair Performance Pro or Samsung 830 SDD for a boot disk.

Video: Consider the GTX 670 instead of the 570. Performance gains will be very small, but energy consumption and heat will be better, plus it adds up to 4 monitors into the game.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Advice on new PC for video editing
                Kesha_n Level 1

Thank you, Harm for your input!

RAM: Definitely go for LV (1.35V) modules without Micron chips, like the Samsung LV modules.

Even if I'm not going to overclock?

HDD: consider the Corsair Performance Pro or Samsung 830 SDD for a boot disk.

Sorry, may have been written, but I ask again. What is the advantage Performance Pro versus Force 3?

• 5. Re: Advice on new PC for video editing
                  RjL190365 Level 4

For the SSD, the Force 3 is based on the troublesome Sandforce SF-2281 controller. The SF-2281 based SSDs for the most part have given systems random BSOD issues even when the system is just displaying the Windows desktop.

Worse, the Force 3 is actually one of the slower SSDs currently on the market due to its use of cheapo asynchronous NAND flash ICs. The two that are recommended by Harm not only use faster synchronous NAND flash ICs, but also do not use a Sandforce controller at all (the Performance Pro uses a Marvell controller while the Samsung is based on an ARM controller).

And any RAM kit rated higher than DDR3-1600 is not recommended in any of the LGA 2011 systems due to the fact that most of them (and all DDR3-2133 rated kits) are based on Micron ICs, which have serious compatibility issues with the SB-E memory controller.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Advice on new PC for video editing
                    Dvico Level 1

I use Ripjaws 2133MHz 32Gbkit with LGA2011. (Im going to replace with 1600kit).But Im curious what kind of erros I have to detect with my current kit? I see the AE crashes when I close the app, only.

During editing it works well.

• 7. Re: Advice on new PC for video editing
                      Kesha_n Level 1

Worse, the Force 3 is actually one of the slower SSDs currently on the market due to its use of cheapo asynchronous NAND flash ICs.

Thank you, RjL!

I explore available to me SSD and find strange thing. "Bad" Corsair Force 3 90GB has read/write - 550/500 and "good" Corsair Performance Pro 256GB - 515/440, Samsung 830 Series 128GB - 520/320. At least in advertising "bad guy" has more symetrical read/write speed than "good guys". Is this only a marketing gimmick?

• 8. Re: Advice on new PC for video editing
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Additionally, the SF-2281 controller has a serious bug that causes problems with 256 bit AES encryption. Intel uses that controller as well and has initiated an exchange or refund action for the 520 range, because the bug can not be remedied with a firmware update. Kingston Hyper-X, OCZ Vertex 3 and Agility 3, as well as Corsair Force and Force GT are equally affected by this bug.

• 9. Re: Advice on new PC for video editing
                          Kesha_n Level 1

Kingston Hyper-X, OCZ Vertex 3 and Agility 3, as well as Corsair Force and Force GT are equally affected by this bug.

Ha. Seems, all the cheapest devices are affected..

• 10. Re: Advice on new PC for video editing
                            Kesha_n Level 1

After take into account your advice and consult with my supplier, I updated PC configuration (updates - bold):

MB:  ASUS P9X79 PRO

RAM:  Corsair Vengeance Black 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 1.35V XMP1.3

Video:  ASUS GTX 570 DCII 1280MB GDDR5 DP

HDDSamsung 830 Series 128GB SATA3 520/320MBs (system disk)

Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA3 7200RPM 64MB (scratch disk)

Seagate Barracuda 3TB SATA3 7200RPM 64MB (cache/render disk)

DVDASUS 12D1S BD-R

CaseANTEC P280

OSWin7 Pro OEM

RAIDG-SPEED eS (RAID 5, projects/media)

I'm still not sure for GTX 670 couse price gap is significant and advantage not so obvious..

• 11. Re: Advice on new PC for video editing
                              RjL190365 Level 4

You still did not list a CPU cooler in that build. You see, LGA 2011 CPUs do not come with any cooler whatsoever - and these CPUs run extremely hot without a cooler. Therefore, you will need to purchase a CPU cooler, such as a Noctua NH-D14 (air) or Corsair H100 (self-contained liquid), just to even run that system at all.

• 12. Re: Advice on new PC for video editing
                                Kesha_n Level 1

Hi, RjL!

My supplier offer Zalman CNPS12X cooler.

(update) and now I'm not sure is it possible to adapt this cooler with Corsair Vengeance Black 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 1.35V XMP1.3 RAM modules couse in installation requirements I found:

The cooler’s installation requires an unobstructed space of 151mm(L), 132mm(W), and 155mm(H), with the CPU as a central reference point. Please check if components such as ODD, VGA and PSU protrude into the required space.

If the RAM memory’s height is over 40mm after inserting into the RAM slot, then 1 RAM slot cannot be used due to obstruction.

• 13. Re: Advice on new PC for video editing
                                  JEShort01 Level 4

Kesha,

Suggest you get 2 matched hard drives (i.e. 2 x 2TB instead of one 1TB and one 3TB) and use them in a 2x RAID 0 configuration:

G-speed (projects, media)

RAID 0 (cache, scratch, renders)

I think that this setup would perform a bit better, and it not you could always break it down into two separate drives.

Regards,

Jim

• 14. Re: Advice on new PC for video editing
                                    Kesha_n Level 1

Hi, Jim!

Is not it better to store these files separately?

• 15. Re: Advice on new PC for video editing
                                      RjL190365 Level 4

Kesha,

See if your supplier can get you the LP (Low Profile) version of the 1.35V Vengeance modules or the 1.35V Samsumg DDR3 modules. The regular Vengeance modules are a whopping 52.5mm tall, and they already stand nearly 50mm tall (distance from the top of the DIMM slot to the top of the module) when installed. Otherwise, you might have to switch from a tower CPU air cooler to a self-contained CPU liquid cooler.

However, the motherboard that you're using has eight DIMM slots. This means that the currently listed RAM and the Zalman cooler might be usable together if only one of the eight slots is obstructed since you're planning to use only four sticks of RAM.

• 16. Re: Advice on new PC for video editing
                                        Kesha_n Level 1

From available Low Profile modules I see only DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16GB (4x4GB) 1600MHz CL8 1.5V XMP1.3 but it is for 1.5V

• 17. Re: Advice on new PC for video editing
                                          RjL190365 Level 4

Are you stuck with that particular supplier? If so, then you're basically out of luck at this point: You should NEVER run any system without a CPU cooler (fan/heatsink). As I stated, LGA 2011 CPUs do not come with any CPU cooler at all whatsoever (but a cooler on the CPU is absolutely required for safe operation which does not shut down on you after just a few seconds of power-on). In this case, then, unless you budget even more money for a significantly more expensive i7-3960X (whose memory controller is allegedly more compatible with higher-voltage DIMMs than the lesser LGA 2011 CPUs), you might have to downgrade the CPU/motherboard platform down to an LGA 1155 Ivy Bridge/Z77 combo. (Please note that LGA 1155 Ivy Bridge CPUs such as the i7-3770K can use only 1.5V DIMM modules: The CPU's memory controller is not compatible with 1.35V DIMMs, and 1.65V DIMMs can cause permanent damage to that CPU's memory controller.)

• 18. Re: Advice on new PC for video editing
                                            Kesha_n Level 1

Thank you, RjL! We'll see what can be done..

• 19. Re: Advice on new PC for video editing
                                              JEShort01 Level 4

Why RAID 0?

In your case you have a fast processor, Win7, and lots of RAM for Windows file caching.

Possibly it used to be best to use separate drives, and certainly some individuals here still "preach" separate drives. As I said though, I think that RAID 0 would perform better in your case. I played with lots of setups using the PPBM5 benchmark to arrive at this opinion, and while every system is at least slightly different, this is where I'm coming from.

Jim

• 20. Re: Advice on new PC for video editing
                                                Kesha_n Level 1

JEShort01, It is likely that you are right.. Now question is about properly selection of motherobard SATA controllers. I found speed tests of ASUS P9X79 PRO SATA controllers:

Asus P9X79 Pro SATA performance.jpg

Seems like Marvell chip has very unsymmetrical read/write. So, system disk must be connected to X79 SATA 6Gb controller, but how to deal better with RAID0?

• 21. Re: Advice on new PC for video editing
                                                  JEShort01 Level 4

Kesha,

The Marvell "test speeds" you show appear to be some kind of controller to controller issues with someone's SSD and is not likely pertinent to how you configure your RAID 0.

Will so many variables regarding:

- driver version

- sometimes even motherboard version level and firmware

- how motherboard shares resources for cards in slots

- software setup

I would suggest simply get the PC working without the RAID and then try running the RAID 0 first with the Marvell and test using HD Tune Pro (2MB test - READ and WRITE tests) on the empty array. If you are getting around or better than 250MB/s each way, you're good to go. If not, start chasing what other options you have to configure your board. I've never used a P9x79 Pro personally.

Regards,

Jim

• 22. Re: Advice on new PC for video editing
                                                    Kesha_n Level 1

I made last updates to PC configuration (updates - bold) and soon going to buy. So... maybe final check:

Cooler:  Corsair Hydro H70

MB:  Asus P9X79 PRO

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Black 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 1.35V XMP1.3

Video:  Asus GTX670-DC2-2GD5

HDDSamsung 830 Series 128GB SATA3 520/320MBs (system disk)

2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA3 7200RPM 64MB (scratch/cache/render disk) *

DVDLiteOn BD-RE iHBS212-32

CaseANTEC P280

OSWin7 Pro OEM

RAIDG-SPEED eS (RAID 5, projects/media)

* Due to a limited budget, at the beginning I'll use HDD's in non-RAID configuration or will build RAID0 based on MB RAID controller

• 23. Re: Advice on new PC for video editing
                                                      RjL190365 Level 4

Do keep in mind that the G-SPEED external array would be limited in maximum sequential speed performance by its single eSATA 3.0 Gbps connection (which, in this case, would be a real-world practical maximum of about 260 to 270 MB/s).

I took a look at the G-SPEED's specs, and its maximum read and write speed in RAID 5 mode is actually slower than some single internal SATA hard drives.

• 24. Re: Advice on new PC for video editing
                                                        Kesha_n Level 1

Sure, but at the beginning it will be enough. Later, I'll build internal RAID based on Areca controller