5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2012 11:18 PM by Fred K.

how to replace Acr 6.7 by Acr 6.6

Fred K. Level 1

Hi,

I've Ps CS5 with Acr 6.7 (update from 6.6 to 6.7 a few days ago).

I want to replace Acr 6.7 by Acr 6.6 back.... because of the lenscorrections-panel.

The controls for finging are missing... I want them back.

The new finging options in Acr 6.7 does not work (or... I can see NO the difference............)

I've tried to install "AdobeCameraRaw-6.6-mul-AdobeUpdate" but that fails with the message: "some updates are not installed".... and "the following updates are not installed" ....and  "Photoshop Camera Raw 6.6 Update"...and "installation has failed"

>>> how to replace acr 6.7 by Acr 6.6 back?

• 1. Re: how to replace Acr 6.7 by Acr 6.6
          Level 5

Macintosh or Windows?

• 2. Re: how to replace Acr 6.7 by Acr 6.6
            Noel Carboni Level 7

I just did exactly this myself on my Windows system in the process of doing some timing measurements between different versions.

This is how, in a nutshell, it can be done on a Windows x64 system:

• Download the .zip file that contains the Camera Raw 6.6 update
            • Find the zip files encapsulated inside that carry the content of the Camera Raw.8bi files.  They're easy to spot because they're large.
            • Unzip each file (one for 32 bit and one for 64 bit) and copy the numbered resource file inside to the appropriate Camera Raw.8bi file.

Here's what goes where:

32 bit

Copy:  payloads\AdobeCameraRaw6.0All-011211024650\Assets2_1.zip  (file within: 1003)

To:      C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS5\File Formats\Camera Raw.8bi

64 bit

Copy:  payloads\AdobeCameraRaw6.0All-x64-011211031019\Assets2_1.zip  (file within: 1002)

To:      C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS5\File Formats\Camera Raw.8bi

-Noel

• 3. Re: how to replace Acr 6.7 by Acr 6.6
              Fred K. Level 1

Hi Noel,

THANKS ! ...it works.

BTW (for station_two) I've Win XP-Pro-32.

I've seen several discussions about ACR 6.6 and 6.7 and lens corrections fringing.

They speak about specific corrections for specific lenses (I understand   ...?)

I think my problem with fringing is that I have a simple camera Panasonc DMC-FZ8 (compact-camera) with no specific lenses..... so in ACR 6.7 I see no difference adjusting the fringing.

I hope Adobe put those sliders back.

Automatic adjustment is OK but maintain the manual adjusting possibility.

In computerworld I've learned: programming is easy...... but pay attention on: the first, the last and the exeptions (in the program) makes it a more difficult.

• 4. Re: how to replace Acr 6.7 by Acr 6.6
                Noel Carboni Level 7

Glad you were able to revert to a version of Camera Raw that works better for you.

Just to be complete, you HAD used the checkbox to invoke the automatic functionality, right?  It was listed under the Profile tab, but I believe it was not actually profile-based.  Generally speaking if the CA isn't too bad it does a pretty good job of lining up the colors. 

LensCorrections.jpg

Adobe has been particularly balky about admitting that their recent changes to de-fringing are causing the product to backslide.

At least one other person has noted that they no longer are able to clean up their color-fringing at all because of the removal of the manual controls. See also: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1002680

I have personally dropped back to Camera Raw 7.0 from 7.1 because of pooly conceived de-fringing changes that have gone into 7.1, and which cut off older functionality that I relied upon - similar to what you've done.

Apparently those of us pointing out these reductions in functionality are being summarily dismissed as "resistant to change", which I find irritating.  See the comment by Eric Chan near the end of this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4451203#4451203

-Noel

• 5. Re: how to replace Acr 6.7 by Acr 6.6
                  Fred K. Level 1

Hi Noel,

Yes I did check the checkbox .

But doing this yes or no.... there is no difference ....at least I can see.

I have no "resistant to change"..............!!

1) In my case I can't do something (fringing in acr 6.7) that I could do well before (in acr 6.6).

2) I hate too much automated things......... please leave also a possibility to do it by hand! ....specifically for the following text

I'am a programmer for about 32 years .....And so I said in my previous message: ....I've learned: programming is easy (at least the general "naked" things)...... but pay attention on: the first action, the last action and the exeptions (in the program-process) makes it a more difficult.

Noel....thanks!

Regards Fred