9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 4, 2012 2:06 PM by jabra27

Multi Camera in CS5.5 What is wrong?

ferdinandNGC

For years I have been making usually two multi camera edits for dance recitals. I usually export the edited files

in the same format to another HD on my computer. 

I then go to that new directory and start a new project with the edited files.  Import the files into the new project

and line them up on the timeline. 

This year I have some files that have stuck with only Camera Two edits or sometimes Camera Two sound.  If I go back

to the original edit and make another file with the same timeline and a different name it works.  My only hunch is that

it has something to do with Indexing and Conforming when I start the new project with the edited files. 

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Multi Camera in CS5.5 What is wrong?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

My best suggestion it to adjust your work flow.  Always use original media, don't export out 'edits' for further use.

• 2. Re: Multi Camera in CS5.5 What is wrong?
            ferdinandNGC Level 1

Thanks Jim but I feel safer when I export to another HD on my system and perform the Bluray and DVD copies from one large file. 

I have been working on another job and everything seems good. 

My best guess is that I had difficulty not giving CS5.5 time to Index and Conform before I used the video. 

• 3. Re: Multi Camera in CS5.5 What is wrong?
              jabra27 Level 1

ferdinandNGC,

I'm curious why you "feel safer" with your workflow.

I feel you're adding time and energy to your production that you don't need to. I have edited 50+ dance recitals (2 camera) with 1 project and never had any issues. If you're worried about your source footage, my suggestion is to add a backup drive to your system. (external) I have a 3TB WD My Book Live that plugs directly into my router, and does a backup once a week automatically. This keeps all of my source footage safe without taking the time export it out myself.

Just a thought, I know how dance parents can get waiting for their DVD.

• 4. Re: Multi Camera in CS5.5 What is wrong?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

I feel you're adding time and energy to your production that you don't need to.

Agreed.

• 5. Re: Multi Camera in CS5.5 What is wrong?
                  ferdinandNGC Level 1

Jim or Jason there must be a solution or should I talk to Adobe?

Multi Camera Editing in CS5.5 will not hold edit

Jun 22, 2012 10:31 AM

This problem occurrs on two computers so I can't blame it on one CS5.5 install.  When I make a multi camera edit and export the file it won't hold the settings I have chosen. Sometimes it takes the second audio track and sometimes the second video track with the first audio track. When I import the file again the settings are wrong.  I have gone back and made a file again from the original setting, renamed it and it works sometimes. I don't get it!  In CS3 I never had a problem holding the edit when I export it to a new file.  Is this a problem with CS5.5 because I follow the same workflow I used with CS3.  Any suggestion would be helpful. 

Sorry I posted twice on same topic.

• 6. Re: Multi Camera in CS5.5 What is wrong?
                    josephs51576386 Level 3

Exporting things and then re-editing them also loses quality unless you chose a "lossless" codec. You also start running the risk of other issues such as export errors that occur sometimes etc.

• 7. Re: Multi Camera in CS5.5 What is wrong?
                      ferdinandNGC Level 1

My workflow is:

A. Do a multicam edit of for example a dance. 

B. Export the finished dance and start a new Sequence for the next dance.

C. Because I use HDV tape which sometimes has drop outs I need to start a new Sequence for each dance or it would take even longer.

D. At the end I bring back all the sequences and line them up for the final product. 

This has worked perfectly for me with CS3 and my Matrox RT.X2 for the past 4 years. 

Now with CS5.5 I am having these new problems.  I will speak to Adobe on Monday for a possible solution.

• 8. Re: Multi Camera in CS5.5 What is wrong?
                        BOSU BABU Level 1

When I make a multi camera edit and export the file it won't hold the settings I have chosen. Sometimes it takes the second audio track and sometimes the second video track with the first audio track. When I import the file again the settings are wrong.

I am a novice with no hands on experience with multicameras. However while learning from Lynda(Premer Pro cs6 Essential Trg with Abba Shapiro) I observed the following and this may be useful for selection of right audio track.

"When you select the clips,the order that you select them in your project panel is going to be the order that they are organised in this multicam source clip that you are creating, and the reason -this is important is that your primary audio is going to come from that very first selection.So whether you have 2 cameras or more,make sure you select the camera angle that has the master audio first"

• 9. Re: Multi Camera in CS5.5 What is wrong?
                          jabra27 Level 1

My workflow is:

1. Import all footage (HDV)

2. Place all footage on timeline, syncing both cameras (this is for an entire show, 2 hours average duration) If I have any dropouts I find them where the audio of both tracks do not line up, so I make adjustments to the track that has the dropout and re-sync from that point on. If your second/alternative shot will not cover the dropout of the other camera, re import just the dropout section.

3. Nest into new sequence and do multicam edit

4. Close multicam and go back into the nested sequence and perform the fine edits, add titles and credits, cut out dead space, etc...

5. Export that sequence for DVD/Blu-Ray production.

For audio, I usually copy the audio from the first sequence (original) and paste it to the nested sequence after the multicam edit. Then I can choose which track of audio to use as I go, or make adjustments, etc...

I've never had any issues with cuts not holding, or audio being incorrect, with this workflow.